News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:23:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2-4, or not 2-4, and is that a question?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
2-4, or not 2-4, and is that a question?
« on: May 16, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
Hi, I just read https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/engine-tuning-tips/
by Randy. I have a few questions I think will merit a new thread. There are a lot of things I'm wrestling with in my mind. I'll try to be clear.

Question 1: Is the advantage of a piped engine over non-piped, that a piped engine will keep constant speed better without the surges? If not, what makes the pipe such a radical improvement? Should the piped engine still 4-2-4?

Question 2: Can any engine run a pipe, or are 40vf, and 46vf (in my new ship), and PAs designed just for pipes? Example, I have a K&B .61, which is the clone of the old Merco .61. I also have a header for it. Would it run on a pipe or are the older motors not designed for this?

Question 3: Some engines without pipe are happy running 2cycle the whole flight. My O.S. 25sf is happy in a rich 2 cycle.  It seems my Enya .29 (though still new) doesn't like 2 cycle too much without overheating. My old McCoy .35 will purr along 4 cycling, 4-2-4, or even 2 cycling the whole flight. Whatever I ask of it. Is that true for all engines?

Okay, let's start with that. Thanks again.
David

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2-4, or not 2-4, and is that a question?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:26:49 PM »
Hi, I just read https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/engine-tuning-tips/
by Randy. I have a few questions I think will merit a new thread. There are a lot of things I'm wrestling with in my mind. I'll try to be clear.

Question 1: Is the advantage of a piped engine over non-piped, that a piped engine will keep constant speed better without the surges? If not, what makes the pipe such a radical improvement?
Yes.  Specifically, a pipe with a stunt setup.  "Normal" piped setups (like you find on racing bikes, or competition chain saws) are piped so that the resonant speed of the pipe is a bit higher than the design engine speed.  This means that the engine is always "trying" to go a bit faster.

In the "stunt" setup, the pipe is actually longer than resonant at the design speed, the venturi is -- relatively -- small, and the engine is running rich.  In this combination, if the engine unloads it puts out significantly less power (because the pipe starts slowing it down) and if the engine gets loaded it puts out significantly more power.  It's the same effect as a 2-4 break, but for mostly different reasons (I think that the running rich part is more or less the same underlying mechanism).
Should the piped engine still 4-2-4?
No.  The pipe does what the 4-2-4 break does, only better.  Trying for a 4-2-4 break will just bring that 4-2-4 break unpredictability into your equation.
Question 2: Can any engine run a pipe, or are 40vf, and 46vf (in my new ship), and PAs designed just for pipes?
There's some specific issues having to do with the timing of the ports that make some engines respond better to pipes than others.  Some engines will benefit a lot, some won't benefit much.  I think that in general any 2-stroke engine will benefit from a pipe, but I can't say how much.
Example, I have a K&B .61, which is the clone of the old Merco .61. I also have a header for it. Would it run on a pipe or are the older motors not designed for this?
See above.  Randy would know -- I'd ask him, and at the same time ask if he has a pipe for it.
Question 3: Some engines without pipe are happy running 2cycle the whole flight. My O.S. 25sf is happy in a rich 2 cycle.  It seems my Enya .29 (though still new) doesn't like 2 cycle too much without overheating. My old McCoy .35 will purr along 4 cycling, 4-2-4, or even 2 cycling the whole flight. Whatever I ask of it. Is that true for all engines?

Okay, let's start with that. Thanks again.
David

I'm not sure what you're asking is true of all engines -- that they're all different?  Yes, yes they are. 

Each individual engine design, plus what venturi and muffler (or pipe) it's equipped with is going to affect this.  Schnuerle-ported engines tend to come from the factory with timing that makes them happy running in a solid 2-stroke.  This is because Schnuerle porting enables easy breathing, and an engine that's Schnuerle ported benefits more from being timed to run faster than a baffle-ported engine would.  There are baffle-ported engines (Veco 19) that seem to "like" to run in a solid 2-stroke, though.

A Schnuerle-ported engine could be designed or modified to run in a 4-2-4 run -- these are the engines that you'll hear certain rocket scientists ranting about in terms like "butchered", "ruined", "made to run as poorly as a Fox 35", etc.  I have several that were given to me; the 40LA that I've run is way down on power compared to my bone-stock 40FP, Tower 40, and 46 LA engines; I don't use it much, and I'm planning on unloading the others at some point.

Even some randomly-chosen Schnuerle engine is going to act differently than another, because of porting.  I suspect your 25SF 'wants' to run much faster than a 25LA, because the SF is made for more accomplished pilots who know how to start & handle an engine, while the 25LA is made for beginners.  It just happens that a motor timed for RC beginners is pretty darned good for CL stunt -- the 25SF may actually be a problematic engine (and may benefit far more from a pipe, and may fly a much larger plane on a pipe than a 25LA ever could).

The problem then becomes that you need to learn the engine and all of its quirks.  It's why I've stuck to the latter-day OS plain-bearing engines and their close clones, except when I'm having fun messing around with older engines.  (It's also why I've switched to electric -- I got to a decision point between getting a piped setup or spending about the same on 'lectric, and I had planned on switching all along.  Rather than learning all about piped engines and then walking away from that knowledge, I converted my current ride to electric).

This is why you'll occasionally see threads along the lines of "I have the following dozen assorted engines from 1950 to 2010; how do I run each and every one of them", with answers along the lines of "sell all of them and use the money to buy as many 46 LAs as you can get".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:35:18 PM »

Question 1: Is the advantage of a piped engine over non-piped, that a piped engine will keep constant speed better without the surges? If not, what makes the pipe such a radical improvement? Should the piped engine still 4-2-4?

The advantage is being able to harness the tremendous power improvement and the great performance improvement from running low-pitch props possible running schneurle engines, and able to use the pipe tuning to control them.

The "surges" you are referring to is not really the issue. What you are trying to accomplish is holding the airplane speed more constant, or let it drop less, in the corners. The "surges" you refer to are the reaction of the engine to the airplane slowing down.

If you need it to you can run a 4-2 break, but I try to avoid running across the break if at all possible, because frequently the power difference is excessive, and if you try to reduce it (by piling in head gaskets), all you do is kill the overall power. How the engine reacts across the break varies - the 40/46VF are pretty smooth, the RO-Jett 61 BSE "mistake"  version is very mild. The PA series reacts extremely strongly, particularly the original PA40, and the RO-Jett 61 BSE or cast-case with the 136 degree exhaust is similar, although not nearly the same degree. The pipe causes the engine speed to vary in the right direction (on a good setup) without requiring a phase change.

Note that on a 4-2 break, when it breaks into a 2-stroke, it's actually running *slower* than it was the instant before.

In any case, if you are running a piped schneurle 61 or larger in a 650-square-inch 4 lb airplane, why in the world would you *need* to push it into a 2-stroke?

Question 2: Can any engine run a pipe, or are 40vf, and 46vf (in my new ship), and PAs designed just for pipes? Example, I have a K&B .61, which is the clone of the old Merco .61. I also have a header for it. Would it run on a pipe or are the older motors not designed for this?

You can run any engine on a pipe, the issue is, why? What effect are you trying for?  A baffle-piston 60 from the 60s/70s doesn't need a pipe to tame it, it will run out of power at high revs anyway, pipe or no pipe, so it doesn't need one. Of course, it doesn't work as well, either, because they are so feeble that they have to run 6" of pitch. You can try it with a 4" pitch prop, but you will be nearly peaking it out, which means you are going to get nearly nothing in the corners, and the performance will be dismal. I know, I tried stuff like that with a large variety of engines.

The pipe is not there to Get More Power. The pipe is to prevent you from getting Too Much Power.

You run good engines like the 40VF, etc, to get the high power at moderate revs you need for a 4" pitch prop (figure 11,500-12,000 in the air), and then shape the engine response with exhaust tuning. You are not trying to Get More Power - it already has far more power capability than you could possibly use. 

The problem without a pipe is that if you want it to go 12,000, and it wants to go 15,000, at some point it will get unloaded and go there. A merco 61 isn't going to go 15,000 on a flywheel, practically speaking, if you are running it at 8500 in the air, that's probably faster than ideal. That means using a lot of pitch, which means poor speed stability, break or no.

The K&B 61 was a very good 4-2 break engine in the day, at least as good as the ST60. Almost no one uses either one any more because *they are not competitive* compared to a similar-skilled pilot with a 40VF, PA40, Jett 61, etc.

Your Enya 29 is not broken in completely, or you have way too much prop (which is one and the same, effectively). We are stunt people, we have a lot of strange ideas, but essentially ALL 2-stroke model engines are intended to run at a peaked-out 2-stroke on an appropriate prop *all the time*, that is, indefinitely. If it doesn't, it's not broken in.

By peaked out, I don't mean a rich 2-stroke, I mean, lean it out until it sags, and then back off just enough to avoid the sag. That's what they are intended to do, it won't damage them to do it, it won't "burn them up".  If it's not broken in, it will not hold that setting, and sag off and either damage itself or require you to open the needle to cool it back off. The classic method for determining if an engine is broken in is to look for that point at which you can start it, peak it out, and have it hold the setting indefinitely.

Old iron-liner Enyas are notorious for taking eternities to get to that point, at least several *hours*, which is a lot of flights at 6 minutes a flight. And if you always run it backed-off, it will NEVER break in no matter how long you run it.

Sometimes, we run engines with props far too large to do that, but that requires more break-in still.

Most of the failures I see of people running 20FPs, 25LA, etc, are that they are unwilling to lean it out sufficiently to provide power, and if they try, their buddies will run up to them screaming at them to "richen it up, it's going to BURN UP!!!"

They are intended to run that way, thats how you get power. If they are unwilling, what they do it try to "run it like a stunt engine", which means grabbing a 10-6, because some moron on the internet told them it was more powerful than a Fox 35, it won't run properly ("runs away" or won't draw fuel).

My recommendation for setting a 20FP is to start it, peak it out lean (that is, AS FAST AND AS LEAN AS IT WILL GO before it sags), back off just enough to get a distinct drop, then go fly it. It will run like that for many hundreds/thousands of flights with no damage.

Of course, your 25SF is capable of *vastly* more power than an Enya 29 even in the best of conditions.

As always, 99.99999999% of what "stunt lore" says about stunt engines and props is complete and utter nonsense.

Brett

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »
Thanks so much Brett and Tim...and Randy for the first post.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:11:49 PM »
Thanks so much Brett and Tim...and Randy for the first post.

Hi David

Brett pretty much covered it, except  I can run the  PA in all  4 cycle, and run them in a 2/4 with top 5 results, just takes a  different setup, The  K&B  can be  run with a pipe, as can most any engine, I have even ran a FOX 35 and  a ST 46 on a pipe, both in a  4/2 cycle,  The  ST 60 runs very well on a pipe, we ran it at about 9800 RPMs, It runs well but  beats itself  up pretty good, rods are not happy,  The  ST  G 51  is  a great engine to use a pipe setup.  There are a huge amount of rear exhaust engines  that run well on pipe  stunt setups, The ones Brett mentioned and  The  Irvine REs, The  MVVS low time  40s, 49s, the  K&B 40 will  also work, 
I sold many engines setup for piped stunt, maybe 3500 of them and  many of the Japanese  flyers  said the  liked the  OS FSR  sde  ex  40 and  45 engines,  according to them , they ran better than the  VFs,  The  VFs   were  great engines, so  that was a  good look for the  FSRs,  The  Royal and  TT made  Magnums  run very  well on a pipe too, The  TT 36 is  wonderful on a pipe, Dondi Garrison and  other  won a lot of  Titles using  one.
To answer  the  pipe  question,  I make  pipes  for  32  to 85 size  engines, ALL of  mine  are  hand  made  Carbon Fiber

Regards
Randy

Online Mark Schluter

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:57:18 PM »
Note that on a 4-2 break, when it breaks into a 2-stroke, it's actually running *slower* than it was the instant before.

Could you discuss this in more depth? Is it a result of the increased "load" that was applied at that moment, and does this statement apply in some fashion for non-piped engines? What is it about momentary changes/increases in load that makes an engine want to fire on every revolution in the first place? Also, if the rpm drops at that moment, what does this translate to in terms of actual power or thrust? In other words, does a strong 4 have efficiency advantages compared to a 2, other than better cooling etc, Thanks.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
My PA 65 and 75 currently run 4-2-4 break on a pipe setup.  The 65 is very sweet running that way.  The 75 is getting there but at the moment the engine could use a little more break because it is almost as sleepy as Joe Biden. 

My 61 must have been a sibling of the one Brett liked because it really wants to stay in a super strong 4 cycle everywhere
Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 07:25:16 PM »
Could you discuss this in more depth? Is it a result of the increased "load" that was applied at that moment, and does this statement apply in some fashion for non-piped engines? What is it about momentary changes/increases in load that makes an engine want to fire on every revolution in the first place? Also, if the rpm drops at that moment, what does this translate to in terms of actual power or thrust? In other words, does a strong 4 have efficiency advantages compared to a 2, other than better cooling etc, Thanks.

Most people  running  for example  PA  setups, are  running  4-2  but  with  beeps  of  2 cycle across the  tops of  manouvers,  When I ran the PA 40 in the  Dreadnought, it ran  4/2, and  did  NOT  slow down in the  2 stroke, it made a slight  Increase in RPMs then backed off slower when it snapped back to a  4 cycle. This  is  easy to  control  "if" you pay attention to nitro and  venturi size. Some people  use  high nitro 12  ,1 5  20,  percent. Many times  this  makes for  WAY too hard of a break and the opposite can happen.  I many times  see  people  running  too little  nitro, and their  motors  slow in a  2 stroke, and  loose  tension at the  tops.   I set mine up for  5%, I use this  in the  start of the  season, it is normally cooler.  Then as it get hotter going into summer, with heat and humidity, I go to  7.5 or  10 percent nitro, This  MAKES  the run  , the  same  all year. It is  very easy  to  have  2  fuels,  5  and  10 %,  mixt it  half and  half, for  7.5  percent, people  that live in high altitude  sometimes   will  shoot  a  shot  of  15% into the mix. so  just  run  what you need.   And  before you  ask, yes  there  are  also people  using  high Nitro, 15%  20%   and  are  running  all  4 stroke, with a ,much  richer  run

Randy

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
    The advantage is being able to harness the tremendous power improvement and the great performance improvement from running low-pitch props possible running schneurle engines, and able to use the pipe tuning to control them.

The "surges" you are referring to is not really the issue. What you are trying to accomplish is holding the airplane speed more constant, or let it drop less, in the corners. The "surges" you refer to are the reaction of the engine to the airplane slowing down.

If you need it to you can run a 4-2 break, but I try to avoid running across the break if at all possible, because frequently the power difference is excessive, and if you try to reduce it (by piling in head gaskets), all you do is kill the overall power. How the engine reacts across the break varies - the 40/46VF are pretty smooth, the RO-Jett 61 BSE "mistake"  version is very mild. The PA series reacts extremely strongly, particularly the original PA40, and the RO-Jett 61 BSE or cast-case with the 136 degree exhaust is similar, although not nearly the same degree. The pipe causes the engine speed to vary in the right direction (on a good setup) without requiring a phase change.

In any case, if you are running a piped schneurle 61 or larger in a 650-square-inch 4 lb airplane, why in the world would you *need* to push it into a 2-stroke?

You can run any engine on a pipe, the issue is, why? What effect are you trying for?  A baffle-piston 60 from the 60s/70s doesn't need a pipe to tame it, it will run out of power at high revs anyway, pipe or no pipe, so it doesn't need one. Of course, it doesn't work as well, either, because they are so feeble that they have to run 6" of pitch. You can try it with a 4" pitch prop, but you will be nearly peaking it out, which means you are going to get nearly nothing in the corners, and the performance will be dismal. I know, I tried stuff like that with a large variety of engines.

The pipe is not there to Get More Power. The pipe is to prevent you from getting Too Much Power.

You run good engines like the 40VF, etc, to get the high power at moderate revs you need for a 4" pitch prop (figure 11,500-12,000 in the air), and then shape the engine response with exhaust tuning. You are not trying to Get More Power - it already has far more power capability than you could possibly use. 

The problem without a pipe is that if you want it to go 12,000, and it wants to go 15,000, at some point it will get unloaded and go there. A merco 61 isn't going to go 15,000 on a flywheel, practically speaking, if you are running it at 8500 in the air, that's probably faster than ideal. That means using a lot of pitch, which means poor speed stability, break or no.

The K&B 61 was a very good 4-2 break engine in the day, at least as good as the ST60. Almost no one uses either one any more because *they are not competitive* compared to a similar-skilled pilot with a 40VF, PA40, Jett 61, etc.

Your Enya 29 is not broken in completely, or you have way too much prop (which is one and the same, effectively). We are stunt people, we have a lot of strange ideas, but essentially ALL 2-stroke model engines are intended to run at a peaked-out 2-stroke on an appropriate prop *all the time*, that is, indefinitely. If it doesn't, it's not broken in.

By peaked out, I don't mean a rich 2-stroke, I mean, lean it out until it sags, and then back off just enough to avoid the sag. That's what they are intended to do, it won't damage them to do it, it won't "burn them up".  If it's not broken in, it will not hold that setting, and sag off and either damage itself or require you to open the needle to cool it back off. The classic method for determining if an engine is broken in is to look for that point at which you can start it, peak it out, and have it hold the setting indefinitely.

Old iron-liner Enyas are notorious for taking eternities to get to that point, at least several *hours*, which is a lot of flights at 6 minutes a flight. And if you always run it backed-off, it will NEVER break in no matter how long you run it.

Sometimes, we run engines with props far too large to do that, but that requires more break-in still.

Most of the failures I see of people running 20FPs, 25LA, etc, are that they are unwilling to lean it out sufficiently to provide power, and if they try, their buddies will run up to them screaming at them to "richen it up, it's going to BURN UP!!!"

They are intended to run that way, thats how you get power. If they are unwilling, what they do it try to "run it like a stunt engine", which means grabbing a 10-6, because some moron on the internet told them it was more powerful than a Fox 35, it won't run properly ("runs away" or won't draw fuel).

My recommendation for setting a 20FP is to start it, peak it out lean (that is, AS FAST AND AS LEAN AS IT WILL GO before it sags), back off just enough to get a distinct drop, then go fly it. It will run like that for many hundreds/thousands of flights with no damage.

Of course, your 25SF is capable of *vastly* more power than an Enya 29 even in the best of conditions.

As always, 99.99999999% of what "stunt lore" says about stunt engines and props is complete and utter nonsense.

Brett

The ability to run in a steady lean 2-stroke: does that apply to old iron piston and steel cylinder engines as well?

C R

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
The ability to run in a steady lean 2-stroke: does that apply to old iron piston and steel cylinder engines as well?

Yes. They were almost all designed to give maximum power, which you get at just below a peaked-out 2-stroke. They are far less forgiving over going "over the top" lean and require extensive break-in compared to ABC/AAC engines, but that's what they are for. You might also not want to try it with typical "Stunt" props, at least without even more extensive break-in, but I doubt that any engine in the iron-liner era was ever designed to be run in a 4-stroke or a 4-2 break, not even the Fox 35. Any engine *will* to that with the right load and setup, but no one had even conceived of running it that way until Bob Palmer, Duke Fox, and others (in a story I have heard so many different ways that I have no idea what to believe and what is "filtered through the mists of nostalgia") discovered that you could do it to your benefit.

Of course, any engine running more power at more rpm is going to wear out faster than if the same engine was running less power and and less RPM.

Look at it this way - the iron-liner and ABC 20FPs run about the same way, on the same props and the same RPM, once the iron-liner version is broken in.

Stunt people have gotten this bizarre notion in their heads that "2-stroke" = "Burn Up!!!, possibly because if you break in your Fox to run 7800 RPM with a 10-6  in a 4-stroke, and then it goes over the top lean, it sometimes damages it. It's probably the biggest hurdle for the "small engine" experiment, because time and again, I have found people completely unwilling to crank the engine up enough to get good performance. If a rookie is doing it right, his more-experienced flying buddies will run up  screaming at him to richen it up.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 04:44:28 AM »
In other words, smaller diameter props and flatter pitch?  Use a 9-4 for a fox .35 rather then a 10-6, and run the smaller prop at higher rpm?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
In other words, smaller diameter props and flatter pitch?  Use a 9-4 for a fox .35 rather then a 10-6, and run the smaller prop at higher rpm?

That will run *safely* if it is broken in carefully, and you never get it over-the-top lean. Unfortunately it will not perform very well in a stunt plane because the power at the required RPM is feeble. People run a Fox 35 the way they do, 4-2 breaks and a 10-6, because that is where it provides the best performance for stunt. I *have* run a Fox 35 that way, in a contest, even beat David Fitzgerald. Unfortunately someone else who was *not* screwing around with engines beat us both!

All I was talking about was how these engines (essentially all 2-stroke glow engines) are intended to run, and that you won't necessarily damage them running them in a 2-stroke - not that you should, or that they work better for stunt that way. People long ago arrived at the Fox 35/10-6/4-2 break arrangement and it is the best way to run a Fox 35 in a stunt plane.

But, they also run the same engine in Foxberg racing, cranked all the way up, with maybe a 8-7, 8.5-7, etc, and they have some accelerated wear, but certainly don't just seize up of fly apart most of the time.

It's unfortunate because some of the engines that are great for stunt, like the 20FP, *do* work better running that way (9-4 and 13000 RPM), and people are so programmed that running engines in a 2-stroke is "dangerous!" that they refuse to crank them up enough - and then conclude they are not powerful enough (and by extension, I have been lying to them for 30 years..)

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
" Of course, any engine running more power at more rpm is going to wear out faster than if the same engine was running less power and and less RPM. "

dunno if this is necesarilly so,

Automotively , a reconditioner , in NZ , found the ford ohc 1600s were running higher mileages, in the sticks anyway , as the old farts had to change gear occasionally & rev them,
whereas the lugged the 2 litres in top gear. Shock load higher & lube pressure/ speed lower ? .

So presumeably theres a ' design speed ' where the engine is ' free running ', and the cycling whatsos are more complimentary rather than in opposition .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another auto thingamybob , The renowned two litre Corsair V4 , with a ( non stock ) Fiat 1100 28/36 Weber , with a Accelerator JET on the secondary throat , rather than a pump
running a tall diff , if you were over 80 approaching a hill ,, steady ( set )  throttle .
As the load came on the increased vacum would richen it , and youd stay in top .On a less steep incline sometimes it'd put on speed unaided .

This is with a delicate throttle that you rest at ' the step ' as it hits the secondary choke resistance ( i.e. still primarilly on the primary )

ANYWAY ;

the Result is the INCREASED DRAW under load ,

Under certain conditions some engines will ' self accelerate ' as LOAD INCREASES

which is obviously what we're after in manouvres .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Corsair engine picted up 5 mph on the primary down each hill on the motorway , and held it up the next ( light triffic of course )
Going unaided from 60  ' on the level ' till it was holding 90. Just as well we ran out of hills or it mightve broken the sound barrier .  :(

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »
AM,
So you are saying that the torque curve of the engine plays a big part in how it reacts to load. This seems to be one of the mechanisms that the pipe controls for the Schneider ported engines. It seems that port timing and geometry may have more to do with the shape of the torque curve then if it is Schnuerle or cross flow porting. Two engines that will run with the OS FP20 and 25 are the  Veco BB19 and the old K&B green head 19 & 23. The torque curve for the Veco and K&B"s are very flat from around 9K rpm through about 13K rpm (http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html). The 1974 Fox 19 is also one of those with a very flat torque curve out to around 15K.

The Fox and most other Stunt engines have torque curves that fall off after around 9K rpm. Oddly, the Fox Rocket 35's toque curve is flat out to about 11K rpm but it weights 7.85oz vs the stunt 35 at 6.8oz both have the standard Fox 0.800/0.700 bore/stroke. Seems that the light weight of the Fox 35 stunt is the thing that most fliers regarded as important and for the high pitch/low rpm style it worked. Wonder if they understood the low pitch/high rpm approach used today would have impacted engine design?

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:10:59 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
I have to say, what a difference the "modern" engines are compared to the "classic" ones!  My Top Flite Peacemaker just purrs right along with an OS FP .25 on the front (9x4 prop), steady 2-cycle the entire time!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »

The Fox and most other Stunt engines have torque curves that fall off after around 9K rpm. Oddly, the Fox Rocket 35's toque curve is flat out to about 11K rpm but it weights 7.85oz vs the stunt 35 at 6.8oz both have the standard Fox 0.800/0.700 bore/stroke. Seems that the light weight of the Fox 35 stunt is the thing that most fliers regarded as important and for the high pitch/low rpm style it worked. Wonder if they understood the low pitch/high rpm approach used today would have impacted engine design?

The same factor - that the propulsion/effective "power" is vastly better, and adding 2-3 or more ounces somewhere on a 40-ounce airplane is irrelevant, so it also *doesn't matter* if the engine is heavier. "Building light" as a holy calling is a function of how feeble the power was, because that really did make it fly better. They were solving the problem they had (whether anyone fully understood it or not).

Put another way, you pick up vastly more performance for a trivial, or even beneficial,  weight increase.

Change something else, like making the propulsion better by a factor of 2 or more, then, a lot of things are different and you make different decisions.

BTW, while I am sure this will not stop anyone from trying it, *lots* of people have tried to use vintage hot-rod baffle-piston engines with their sacred lightness to try to get the same performance as a modern engine, and almost always failed, usually because they aren't hot-rod enough compared to even mild sport engines like the 20FP or 25LA. The one exception that I have seen is the Veco 19bb, which, while it is not as powerful as a 20FP, doesn't give up the ghost as soon with 10-4 props, so you can recover some of the performance difference.   But that is one of the hottest baffle-piston ball-bearing performance engines commonly available at the time VS the lowest of the low-ball RC sport engines, built to a $50 price point 25 years later.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
A little off-topic, but is the Veco .19 too much for a Sig Akromaster? I've got two, both with McCoy .19's, and was wondering if it was worth switching to the Veco . . .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
A little off-topic, but is the Veco .19 too much for a Sig Akromaster? I've got two, both with McCoy .19's, and was wondering if it was worth switching to the Veco . . .

People used to routinely fly SIG Banshees and Twisters with Veco 19bb/10-4 props in WAM "A" Stunt, and they generally flew better than "full-house" airplanes of the day.  A Veco 19bb is too much for a S1 Ringmaster and can pull it around at 3.5 second laps if you have the wrong prop - we tried it!

In short, yes, vastly too much, unless you want to go 100 miles an hour. Arguably, a McCoy19 is at the upper end of what I would use, because the Akromaster is in the range of many of the larger 1/2A stunt planes that fly well with a Medallion .049 (although it's built too heavily to try that as it is).

If it was me, I have a nice APWasp .09, that is what I would use for an Akromaster, or a mild 15 (like a Maxx-II or -III, or that other one that I cannot recommend, on humanitarian grounds). A McCoy will work OK.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 01:03:33 PM »
Thank you! I only mention it because the Akromaster is hard to loop. I thought it was under-powered, but then later discovered it was nose-heavy . . .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
Thank you! I only mention it because the Akromaster is hard to loop. I thought it was under-powered, but then later discovered it was nose-heavy . . .

With a Veco 19BB? I bet it is!

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
Actually, with the McCoy . .

Advertise Here
Tags: engine tuning 

Advertise Here