News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Fox 29 with Ranger 6 bolt head  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA78415
Old Fox 29 with Ranger 6 bolt head
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
Anybody know anything about the old Fox 29? I have one that was given to me by a friend and do not know much about them. Looks very much like the 35 with a thicker sleeve and 29 marked on the case. It has a three bolt back plate and 6 bolt Ranger head. It also looks to have the same mounting bolt spacing and the head is the same outside diameter as the 35. I would appreciate any info as to how they run and when they were made. Thanks.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Old Fox 29 with Ranger 6 bolt head
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »
My first "large" engine, c.1952, was a Fox .29.  It was one of the newer ones with the 6-bolt head.  Flew it all through the '50s: Ringmaster, Circus King, Yak-9, and so forth.

Many years later, 1989 or '90, the late Tom Lay gave me an old 4-bolt, sand-cast .29 which I used in a Box Car Chief (FM, Dec. '90) for dozens of flights until the crank broke in-flight at a contest in Whittier Narrows, CA.  Prior to that, it placed well in OTS events in Tucson.

The Fox .29 was a nice engine.  Highly modified by NJ's George Moir, it powered him to the win in Class B Team Racing at the '54 Nats.  (Was a feature article in an old issue of M.A.N., back when they still featured real model planes.)  As a kid, I launched test flights for George in Haddonfield, NJ.  Ahhh....that fuel's "shoe polish" aroma!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
Thanks Mike. Oh Yes! I remember the shoe polish fuel smell. I think it was in all fuels back then. I ran mostly OK Cub engines with OK fuel in 50 to 52. Couldn't afford the "big engines" I did not know when Duke started manufacturing the 29's, but it must have been shortly after the 35 then since your last one was a 4 bolt head sand cast job.
Jim Kraft

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:12:47 AM »
Your motor sounds stock with the higher performance Ranger head on it,higher compression?
Ed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:27:24 PM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »
    Now a .29 in a "B" team racer might have been what I think they called a "bath tub" .29 specifically made for "B" Team Race, or am I thinking of a different era? I think it got it's name from the long, bath tub shaped intake to allow for as large an opening as possible for the crank intake timing? I think they are kind of rare and very collectable, along the order of the Dooling .29. I may be way off but that is wht comes to my mind.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
George Moir's '54 Nats'-winning Fox .29 was not the 'bathtub' version, which appeared later.  His began as a stock .29 which benefitted from some filing, polishing and other mods that were revealed in an old issue of M.A.N., along with the construction article for his 'Rambler IV'.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:02:09 AM »
     Hi Jim et al:

What is a "Ranger" head?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:58:40 AM »
I have these .29s and am also curious about the Ranger head-different than these?  My understanding is these put out about the same power as the .35,  could be timed a touch faster to suit B team race of the day but are quite suitable for stunt in the day.  Maybe happier with a 9" prop.  I think this is what Steve Wooley used in his Argus.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:29:52 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:53 AM »
I am not sure about this, but even the old sand cast Fox 35 I have does have the Ranger head on it. They look just like the later Fox heads except they say Ranger on the bottom. I am guessing that Fox used a head cast by another manufacturer to make the early heads. Any one else have any info on this? I read about this somewhere but do not remember where. The 29 I have looks just like the stunt 35. Thanks for all the input.
          Mine looks just like yours Dave only not quite as nice. I notice yours both have what looks to be OK glow plugs which were very popular back in the early days in Foxes.
Jim Kraft

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks Jim,  these are new and not run although one for some reason doesn't have the original needle assembly.  The former owner must have robbed it for something else.  Plan to (someday) build the Argus for one of these.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
 Fox mentions the Ranger head in this article.http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Fox.htm
 It was the head used when they went from 4 bolt to 6. A supplier named Ranger made them.
Ed

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
OK, here is some info on Fox 35 heads.
All of these came out of my junk box.
Check out the first picture.
The one on top is from a very early engine – no bumps on the lugs.
The middle five are all different configurations of the Ranger head. The two on the far right have “Ranger” cast in.
The three on the bottom are configured with a slot for the piston baffle. Note the difference in how much the combustion chamber protrudes into the bore on the one on the right. Must be for higher compression. The one on the left is a hemi chamber – aftermarket, homemade?
Now look at the second picture, showing the tops of the heads.
Top one is a thin head.
In the middle row, the one on the left is an early thin head, prone to warping.
The second one is thicker and supposedly cures the problem.
The third one has been modified (by Fox) for eight bolts.
The fourth one is die cast and modified by Fox to a four-bolt configuration.
The last one is probably the most popular Ranger – die cast, six bolts.
In the third row, the middle head is new, right out of a Fox pack. Part number 13502.

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
Thanks Eddy and Robert. Lots of good info there. I think that is where I learned about the Ranger head a few years ago when reading about Duke.
Jim Kraft

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
The old Foxes after 1957 react very well to a lot of Nitro. What some learned was to lower the compression when running a big load of Nitro. I ran 8/8 props back then on Foxes and they would run OK with 25% Nitro. We has some fuel that was 40% and the stock head models would blow a hole in the piston. We thought 18,000 was really high RPM. When the 36X came out 18,000 was easy.
 Today one might wonder why use a Fox 35 in combat but they were very common as the combat models were very light and small. My flying wings only weighted 12-14 ounces.. A Quicker with a Fox 35 on it was a very competitive model in 1956.
Ed

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 02:24:38 PM »
Jim, what you have is a 1952, 53, or 54 Stunt .29. Those are the years that Fox used the ranger head.
Regards, Phil Bare

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »
Thanks for that Phil. I have got it all cleaned up and the rod loose from the wrist pin, but have not run it yet. It seems to have good compression and a fairly tight front bearing, so after I run it on the bench a little I will try it in a plane to see how it goes. I have a Sterling Mustang profile that has a 35 on it right now but might fly just fine with the old 29. Thanks again everybody for the info.
Jim Kraft

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
      Hi Robert et. al.:

You showed a cylinder head on the right of the your picture that showed a head that protruded deeply into the combustion chamber.  I bought one of these heads at a flea market many years ago. It came in a plastic bag with the words FOX No. 2 HEAD.

I talked to Mr. Fox re. this head and he told me that they changed to these heads when the Torpedo .35 came out.  I ran this head but I could not see any power gain over the stock head.  Perhaps it would work well with FAI fuel.  It looks cool thought! Lol

Stay well,

Frank McCune

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here