News:

• May 27, 2024, 12:08:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .049 Engine build Question  (Read 826 times)

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
.049 Engine build Question
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:41:04 AM »
 Ok so I bought this crankcase a few days ago along with a new cylinder and piston.

The question I have is that after I put it all together. would I have to oil it in any kind of way before cranking or will the castor from the fuel lube it ok and it will be ok to run without worry of engine lock up or failure?

I know I will prolly have to acquire a reset tool for the piston as I hear numerous things about new pistons. I prolly could use a piston from a babe bee I have but i would prolly have to reset it aswell I would imagine.

Sorry Im new at this and it has really got my interest!

Or was it a bad idea getting this crankcase?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: .049 Engine build Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Oil the parts as you assemble it.  Then run some rich runs to start break in.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:45:42 AM »
Oil the parts as you assemble it.  Then run some rich runs to start break in.   H^^

John,
None of the Cox engines required much in the way of break in. as a kid I used to run them somewhat rich for 30 seconds and then set it at a wet 2 for the rest of the tank. That was the normal break in procedure for most everyone else that I knew. The engines that Cox made had fits far superior to most of what was available in that time.Take 2 easy flights, check for varnish, and then go fly some more. I never had a piston reset tool as a kid,no one else did either and those engines literally had hundreds of flights on them. The biggest 'secret' to long life was cleanliness. Dirt would kill them faster then anything else.
Dennis

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:34:53 PM »
The reason I mentoined the reset tool was cause I hear of people having to reset the pistons in the surestarts and I figures the one I ordered would normally be in a Surestart.  Reproductions.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
If you want, I can send you a piston with the rod sticking out the top, so you won't have to make your own.  Seriously, buy a reset tool as your next purchase.  I am speaking from experience.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Cox engines are the easiest things in the world to work on, but the reed valves do want to be clean to work properly.

I oil mine with a drop of after-run oil to make sure they're not completely dry the first time you start them up.

Make sure it's clean, remember to reset the piston, make sure it's clean, put in just a bit of after-run oil, make sure it's clean, tighten everything nice, but not too tight, and make sure it's clean.

Then make sure it's clean, and start it up.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:00:54 PM »
The guys have spoken on the oiling as you assemble.  Go to a auto patrs store and buy a bottle of Air Tool oil instead of the after run oil.  it is exactly the same thing and cheaper.  if you want it red, buy the Marvel brand (but NOT Marvel Mystery Oil, it is different).  I use the Campbell-Hausfeld brand.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here