News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "New" 25LA-s-RN  (Read 13162 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"New" 25LA-s-RN
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
Maybe everyone else already knew this, but it was news to me.

Jim Aron had good results with the new 25LAs a few years ago, so I had waited for a Tower "deal" and got a pair of them for some ridiculous price (maybe $45, but so low it didn't register). They just sat since then. I don't know if this is a reliable indicator of the "new" VS "old" LA, but these came as bare metal as opposed to painted blue like those I had tried and seen other people use in the past.

Today, after flying "Stunt 25" with the Skyray/20FP at the Ted Goyet contest, I popped one of them on the airplane just to see how it worked. The answer is - very good. I decided to read the directions and follow them *to the letter* to see of there was anything to be learned. I bolted it on the airplane exactly as it came, plastic backplate, rear needle, everything. The needle was supposedly set at the factory to a good break-in position. I primed it as it said and it started on the first flip and ran at a *perfect* break-in setting well into the 4-cycle. After a tank of gas was run through it (which, I might add, didn't take all that long), I put on the flying prop - APC9-4, naturally - and did some testing. It peaked out at over 14,000 rpm right away, and had no problem holding a 4-stroke at maybe 12,800. This is *much* stronger than the 20FP I had been running and at least some stronger than a perfect 20FP. This is much different from the older LAs I had tried, it is *much much* more powerful.

We flew it and had the same issues we typically had with the 20FP - that is, the fuel consumption was astronomical, and the needle was changing rapidly. Maybe 4 minutes on 3 oz, set at 13000 at launch, and steadily richened up through the (brief) flight. Fired it up for the next flight, and with the same needle, it was down to maybe 11,200 and was dead rich. Tweaked it back to 13000, launched again, and it ran longer and richened up throughout the flight, but not as much. Firing it up again at the same needle got about 11,800, dead rich again. Went through a a few flights doing this and we got 11,200, 11,800, 12,200, 12,400, and 12,600, tweaking the needle more closed each time to get back to 13,000, and the duration of the flight on about 3 oz went longer every time. Eventually we could get through a complete pattern on ~2 oz, which held there the rest of the afternoon.

Otherwise, the in-flight performance was quite good. The air was a gentle wafting 15 mph breeze and we had a lot of time to fiddle with the Skyray since almost the entire field of the contest passed their second round flights. Flying my regular airplane, the air was not all that bad, and at no time was I concerned, but it was definitely a stiff breeze and certainly not something you could just ignore. The Skyray/25LA was very fast but had the "slow motion" feeling most of the time, and had no issue getting through the pattern. Occasionally it would briefly go rich in overheads which didn't add a lot of confidence, but the rest of the time it was very consistent in flight. When we tried backing it off into a 4-stroke in level flight, the power boost in the maneuvers was more than you would want. This was no surprise, this is not a Fox and that's about what happens with any of these engines (20/25FP. Brat 28, OS32, Magnum 32, etc) with the stock parts. Of course there was abundant opportunity for whip-up but it was no worse than any of the others in that respect.

One day and maybe 10-12 flights isn't enough to draw any conclusions but it seems like the engine has a lot more potential than the "old" LA that was clearly less powerful than the 20FP. It would certainly spin more prop than a 9-4 APC and would clearly fly A LOT more than a 400-square inch 29 oz airplane.

By the way, the rear needle and plastic backplate seemed to work just fine. Once the engine settled in, the needle settings were dead-nuts repeatable, predictable, showed absolutely no problems. One click was a pretty big change, which is about my only possible criticism. It looks like the needle would be very prone to breaking off in an inverted crash, which is no better than the conventional needle, but I would be a little concerned that the needle assy. hitting the ground might crack the part of the backplate you care about. Another feature of my particular installation was that the plumbing ran all over the place, since I just took off the 20FP with a conventional spraybar and hooked up the rear needle with the same tubing, etc leaving a big loop, and the filter hanging out near the cylinder head. This led to some starting issues since it was very prone to the fuel running out of the lines. We use the same technique as with it's big brother 40VF - flip through with finger partially covering the venturi and removing it quickly once the engine fired up to prevent flooding it off.  I don't dispute those who have had a problem with the backplate leaking and maybe mine will too, at some point, but so far it seems to work with no issues

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: "New" 25LA-s-RN
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the report, Brett.  I am surmising that the timing seems to have been changed on the .25LA?  With the results you have gotten so far, would you go to the 10-4 APC or stick with the 9-4?

Thanks, again
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the report, Brett.  I am surmising that the timing seems to have been changed on the .25LA?  With the results you have gotten so far, would you go to the 10-4 APC or stick with the 9-4?

I haven't tried it but I would expect that it would spin a 10-4 but you would want a much larger airplane. If you just put on a 10-4 on the same airplane,  it might spin slower on the ground but go even faster in terms if airspeed/lap time. The limiting factor would be when it was running slowly enough that wouldn't draw fuel anymore.

BTW, I am not sure what is different for certain, it could be the timing or it could be something else (like larger ports with the same timing).

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
HI Brett,

Thanks!  Sounds like the latest OS .25LA would really be at home in a Classic design meant for the Fox .35.  Or even a new design about 500- 550 sq, in.  What do you think?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks!  Sounds like the latest OS .25LA would really be at home in a Classic design meant for the Fox .35.  Or even a new design about 500- 550 sq, in.  What do you think?

I didn't have a 25FP to compare with, but of course that works well in Noblers, etc.  What I don't know is if the LA can be reliably controlled in the maneuvers, or what it takes to do it.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
   I didn't have a 25FP to compare with, but of course that works well in Noblers, etc.  What I don't know is if the LA can be reliably controlled in the maneuvers, or what it takes to do it.

Brett

"PaPa" Dave Hemstrought  was using a blue .25LA in an ARF Nobler a few years ago.  It flew it very well.  Sounds like the "new" LA is stronger.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »
            I see absolutely no power difference in the old vs new engines. We use the LA.25 exclusively for speed limit combat. I'm seeing ten of these engines at one time all from different years. All of us are essentially flying the same planes. The FP however which two other pilots use, run stronger than our LA's. I have blue versions and silver versions myself and I see no benefit of one over the other. Were timing these planes and using identical props, planes, line length, same fuel etc. Your findings are apparently different. I'm just stating my findings with these engines. Ken

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
           I see absolutely no power difference in the old vs new engines. We use the LA.25 exclusively for speed limit combat. I'm seeing ten of these engines at one time all from different years. All of us are essentially flying the same planes. The FP however which two other pilots use, run stronger than our LA's. I have blue versions and silver versions myself and I see no benefit of one over the other. Were timing these planes and using identical props, planes, line length, same fuel etc. Your findings are apparently different. I'm just stating my findings with these engines. Ken

Blue VS Silver may not be sufficient to identify "new" and old". The new ones are MUCH stronger than the older ones I have tried in the past (when the first came out). The engines I have now are the first that I have personally owned, BTW, the others were just borrowed for testing purposes.

BTW, jury is still out on whether they are better for stunt or not, but it absolutely has more power.

Brett
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:38:32 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm a noob to CL.  I have 2 of them. I have one on ringmaster.  I have good runs on an APC 11-4. The engine handles it well and no problems. I'm running Powermaster 15/18 1/2 castor.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
   Blue VS Silver may not be sufficient to indentify "new" and old". The new ones are MUCH stronger than the older ones I have tried in the past (when the first came out). The engines I have now are the first that I have personally owned, BTW, the others were just borrowed for testing purposes.

FWIW, I have two blue 25LAs and a 20FP.  Both the LAs seem to be stronger than the FP, in spite of the fact that one of them is worn to the point of needing a starter to get going.  And I know the history of that FP -- it doesn't have enough running time to be near to worn out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:46:39 AM »
Well I'll be blowed! After carefully accumulating FP20s for use with the BBTU (which I think is still an extraordinary style of run from such a lowly beast). I now find Brett advocating the LA25!
Anyone want some FP20s cheap!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
Well I'll be blowed! After carefully accumulating FP20s for use with the BBTU (which I think is still an extraordinary style of run from such a lowly beast). I now find Brett advocating the LA25!

Regards,

Andrew.

Hey, I said it was more powerful - not necessarily better. One thing that I haven't done is carefully evaluate the regulation capabilities of the engine in good air. It appears to blow right through the regulation point of the muffler just like the 25FP but the conditions were not good enough to make any careful evaluation.  

ALL of the small engines that I ran in the original testing worked pretty well - 15FP, 20FP, 25FP, 25LA (original), Brat 28, Magnum 25, Magnum 32 (and some others like the McCoy 19 RR, Veco 19BB, etc) and some that I forget.  All had good handling properties and could fly the Skyray or similar profiles reliably with good performance in a variety of stock and mildly modified (chip mufflers, alternate carburetion etc) configurations. ALL, repeat, ALL, where better than a Fox 35 in the same airplane in any practical sense, which was the original goal. They were also ALL, repeat ALL, better than a 40FP in either stock or any of the modified configurations we ran it. Because the stock 40FP was hopelessly wild, and by the time you got it calmed down enough, it had no more power than any of the smaller engines that worked right out of the box.

My conclusion at the end was that essentially any ABC engine that you could get at the time (early/mid 90's) in the range of about a 15 to a 32 could likely power any common 35-sized profile plane adequately well, with some reservations about the 15's in the larger airplanes like the Twister/Banshee at built at the typical kit-wood weight. The weak sisters of the modern group were the 15LA, 15FP, and 25LA. That was the original goal  - to find something that would give equal or superior performance to a Fox 35 without the atrocious handling qualities, and didn't require extensive modifications like the 40FP. The original idea was "why am I trying to run this 40FP at 25% when I can run a 20FP at 50%", which occurred to me while I was out all afternoon in the blazing sun at Gilroy High School trying to figure out how to keep someone's 40FP from running away.

Now, the "new" 25LA seems to no longer be underperforming, it appears to be in the ballpark with the 25FP and certainly stronger than the 20FP. Stronger - not necessarily better.  

So, mission accomplished, use any of those engines and they will work, to first approximation. The 20FP, however, seemed to have much better in-flight regulation than the others. It really stood out from the group. So I told people that and they tried it with good success.

It then took on a life of it's own with a bunch of people lining up into "warring camps" over that observation, debating how either stupid or unpatriotic I was, how I was incompetent and didn't really understand that bigger engines are always better, etc.

I actually don't care whether anyone runs them or not. I do care a little bit when various people categorically state that I am wrong and it doesn't work, when they haven't actually tried it. Particularly whey I know for virtual certain that those people have never flown a competitive stunt pattern at any level (much less repeatedly in Open at the NATs) and have never flown a properly-operating piped engine.  And therefore have no basis for comparison. They just "know" better. It's irritating partly due to my own ego, and partly due to the fact that they are turning people off to something that would help 90% of the beginner/intermediate fliers out there, and all the sport fliers currently struggling with vintage semi-slag motors.

Don't fall into the trap that, say, audiophiles always fall into - even if someone comes out with a new, better amplfiier, that doesn't mean the current one stops working. The 20FPs work just exactly as well as they ever have - which is really, really good.

I am merely reporting results, don't take all the 20's out into the driveway and smash them with a hammer.

BTW, the only reason I was fiddling with it this weekend was to see how the new one worked in support of Clint's "Stunt 25" event. I had previously said that it was time for others to take up the same experiment I did with currently-available engines. But I am considering "Stunt 25" designs/promotion and figured I ought to at least know something about the most likely engine selection.

There was another " social engineering"  reason I flew (and had others fly) flight after flight in 15-20 mph winds, but that had at best mixed results...

Brett

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:56:19 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Definitely don't smash those FP20s -- put them in a box and send them to me :)

Most folks in the Pacific NW run their 25LAs with 10-4 APC props, and like them.  One fellow I know, from Klamath Falls, flies on a 9-4 when he's at altitude because the engine doesn't have enough grunt with a 10-4.

So if anyone does do the testing that Brett is talking about, be sure to at least try an APC 10-4.  My LA25's seem to not run away on a 10-4, but I don't have Brett's skill or experience so take that statement with a very large grain of salt.

I do know that I have a bunch of over weight planes and I don't fly super well, and I know that an LA25 with a 10-4 (at 600 feet above MSL) will pull one of my porkers through the overheads better than my FP20 will.  I also know that the FP20 works really fine on the lightest plane I have (a Ringmaster, which is still porky at 32 ounces, but lighter than either of my other small planes).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
My comment about getting rid of my 20 FPs was said tongue in cheek! I am really impressed with the BBTU on an FP20. A little short of magic. Runs just like a good diesel!
I was very surprised about Brett talking of the new 25LA. I have a very old one and have just obtained one which I assume is current production. I checked out the timing and port sizes and I can't tell any difference. (That doesn't mean to say there is none, just I couldn't measure any!). Is this simply a matter of venturi sizing? The more recent engine definitely has a larger diameter venturi.

Regards,

Andrew. 
BMFA Number 64862

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
I sometimes wonder why people scrap the OS rear-needlevalve and install a new one right next to the spinning prop!  The rear units work just fine, and are much easier on fingers!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
Hi Brett,

What I am getting from your report (and generally all your writings) is that just because that engine "A" has more power than engine "B", it doesn't mean engine "A" is what we need.  Being able to work correctly in the stunt pattern is more relevant.  While the newer, more powerful, OS .25LA does have more power than the older ones, an OS .20FP might have plenty enough power to fly the model in all conditions while still being "stunt" friendly.  More power is nice but only if it doesn't do bad things at the wrong time.  All the modern engines have more power than the old engines with few exceptions.  Put a Nelson Combat .36 will probably not do exactly what we want it to do while flying our stunt planes, even though the power is very high.

I have flown a few pipe set ups that are really close to perfect.  I would rather have that scenario than a more powerful one that speeds up going down hill, etc..  Now, if my flying abilities would just catch up with those engine runs! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
I sometimes wonder why people scrap the OS rear-needlevalve and install a new one right next to the spinning prop!  The rear units work just fine, and are much easier on fingers!

They're less friendly about bubbles in the fuel, and more prone to losing prime in the tube from the remote needle to the spraybar.

That having been said, I haven't found the above to be that big of a deal once I figured them out, and, on the old-style FP valve you could mount the thing so that the needle was out of the way of a crash.  On the LA, you can, too -- it just takes some cutting.
AMA 64232

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

It then took on a life of it's own with a bunch of people lining up into "warring camps" over that observation, debating how either stupid or unpatriotic I was, how I was incompetent and didn't really understand that bigger engines are always better, etc.

Unpatriotic is a really cheap shot.  Shame on anyone who accused you of that based on your (apparent) dislike of Fox 35's.  May those accusers be condemed to flying profiles,  particularly ones wilth flimsy noses, while performing reverse wingovers.

Many thanks for doing research for guys like me on setups that would never be considered by a top level competitor like you.  For you to spend time doing such research and passing it on to us is a very generous act.  It is really good for the hobby.

I apologize for the joker that called you unpatriotic.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
Hi Brett,

What I am getting from your report (and generally all your writings) is that just because that engine "A" has more power than engine "B", it doesn't mean engine "A" is what we need.  

Exactly. A Zalp 2.5 has 4 HP, that crummy PA75 is only running 3/4 horse in stunt trim - which do you prefer?

The same argument works great with the "there's no such thing as too much power" crowd. I can get a lot more power out of a PA75 by tweaking the needle to peak it out, and better gas mileage as well. So let's all lean them down hard since that will give us more power.

QED

Brett
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:51:22 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Brett:
Just curious (yes I still keep up on IC)  You mentioned that your plumbing was not really set for the RN installation - you think that had any effect on the variations you were getting early on in your tests? 

I too am interested in the Stunt 25 class designs - albeit with an outlawed approach  #^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
Brett:
Just curious (yes I still keep up on IC)  You mentioned that your plumbing was not really set for the RN installation - you think that had any effect on the variations you were getting early on in your tests? 

No, I don't think so. The plumbing was the same all day, but the fuel consumption/needle setting changed rapidly at first, and then slowed down, then stopped with no other changes. The same thing happens with all of these engines to one degree or another, even with the plumbing set up for it (like the 20FP).  This one was a pretty big change compared to some of the others, but exactly the same character.

The fuel consumption change was roughly a factor of 3. It managed about half a pattern on 3.8 oz on the first flight and richened up dramatically through the flight. It made it through a complete pattern some margin on a little more than 2 oz after about the 5th-6th flight and the needle held right on throughout.

Brett

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »
Brett, thats pretty consistant behaviour with what i saw with my LA 46s,, at least the couple I bought new,, the others were RC rejects,, * they dont have enough power for a 46*  I got them for a pretty good deal too!
anyway, after about 6 to 12 flights the consumption went way down, and it held the needle much better, and this was after a fairly generous bench run in,, ( something on the order of an elapsed 30 minutes in shorter segments,, ) Okwell its generous for a 50 dollar motor LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
Brett, thats pretty consistant behaviour with what i saw with my LA 46s,, at least the couple I bought new,, the others were RC rejects,, * they dont have enough power for a 46*  I got them for a pretty good deal too!
anyway, after about 6 to 12 flights the consumption went way down, and it held the needle much better, and this was after a fairly generous bench run in,, ( something on the order of an elapsed 30 minutes in shorter segments,, ) Okwell its generous for a 50 dollar motor LOL

I have done the first flight on several 20FPs that were also official flights in contests! Actually, the very first run of any type was an official flight. So I knew what to expect. And just like the LA, it got rich enough at the end it was a little iffy to keep running in the overheads.

What I hadn't done was carefully document it, or have a *factory-set* needle. This time I followed the instructions *to the letter* with the exception of the flying prop, (and flipping with my finger instead of a starter) including running a tank of fuel through it on the ground first. It fired up on the first flip and the factory-set needle was absolutely perfect. On successive flights I reset the needle to get 13000 on the ground, and it ended up going a long way, maybe 3/4 turn, as it settled in.

I did this mostly to determine you could just take it  straight out of the box and followed the directions, it would work with no other knowledge or modifications. The only think that was wrong for stunt was the prop selection - it says to use a 9-6 or a 10-5 but either one of those would be absolutely supersonic. Even 4" was way too fast at the settings it needed to run. And it even comes with a $6 glow plug! Such a deal.

So, again, there are so many people opening the engine box, tossing the muffler, putting in an ST needle, replacing the backplate (which may be of some value in terms of reliability although I had NO issues for the 15 or so flights we had) and later getting out the Dremel tool. All of which appears to severely counter-productive, it runs dandy straight as it comes and following the directions. A beginner would need to know almost nothing about engines to make it work while a lot of alleged "engine experts" shoot themselves in the foot.

Brett

p.s. I forgot to mention this, but it's clear where some of the tightness comes from. After the first flight, I went to fuel it up and restart it, and the venturi was *incredibly hot*. This after it had gone so rich that it made me a little nervous about a flameout. That went away as the engine loosened up and later we were flying flight after flight in a medium 2-stroke and the front end was cool to the touch. I think that means that the plain-bearing section is the draggy part and very rapidly breaks in. I think it also means that you might have to run it a very long time on the ground to get the same effect as a few actual flights (where you are putting varying side-loads on the bearings). It was very "flippy" at the end of the day.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
I've used and seen several LA 25-S engines in use and they all seemed pretty good runners.  The first of the "old" ones I got took 2 years to break in, maybe 150 runs.  Then it came on like gangbusters, on its third piston/liner.  I suspect the crankshaft took a while to break in.

Brett:"This is *much* stronger than the 20FP I had been running and at least some stronger than a perfect 20FP. This is much different from the older LAs I had tried, it is *much much* more powerful."

Not sure why it would be more powerful, unless they have refined the fits.  The parts catalog still lists the crank as FP 20-25.  The piston and liners still have the same part numbers.  The newest one I got is identical to the oldest one, in port heights.  Any chance it has a slightly larger venturi or changes to the muffler?  The parts catalog still lists the same numbers though.
phil Cartier

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »

Floyd
I have 2 LA .25's.  Being a noob they have both been in the dirt via figure "9's".  A nasty side effect from this is the rear NVA, being plastic and part of the back plate tend to part company.  Sometimes the backplate mounting ears break off and the whole thing needs to be replaced.  In my case the back plates survived and I replaced the NVA's with the older OS metal version.  Other than that I would have kept the rear mounted ones.  I figured the next figure 9 would just trash the new rear mounted so I went with the front mounted than tend to hold up better.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
          David, keeping it out of the ground is important. The front mounted needle valve however is also susceptible to damage the same if not worse than the rear mounted version. I've had these damaged on flip over in tall grass. I'm not a fan of the springy knob thing. It's a poor design for one as it becomes loose and two things can happen. The knob is turning in the spring or the spring is turning on the needle. Over the years it appears the quality has gone down due to plating issues which are rough and threads that aren't as clean as my older OS variants. The ratchet clip really grabs the needle hard.  Your turning and turning and nothing is happening. My hands are quite large, I go to grab the base of the needle and my fingers go into the back of the prop usually the top of my thumb. I've soldered many of the springs onto the needles, the knob itself is aluminum so roughing it up and epoxy is your only solution. The knob itself acts like a pendulum at times and cause erratic running as it gets into a harmonic changing  the needle setting. I remove the spring all together. I use tubing and solder it onto the needle half  then I solder a washer onto the top of the tubing with grooves filed all the way around the washer to grip. This not only stops the crazy needle settings, it also keeps it out of harms way in case of a inverted landing or flip over. The best way to prevent needle damage is to mount it combat style remotely. You can run the needle parallel to the fuse using a homemade bracket. When there mounted perpendicular is when stuff breaks. The backplate problem can be resolved by purchasing a metal one on the forum here from Curtis Shipp. Curtiss made several for the LA engines. If your repeatedly stuffing the engine to the point your breaking the backplate, you may just want to keep using the plastic for now until you get some more air time. Ken
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:13:40 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 07:05:01 AM »
Hello Phil,
I agree with you, that there seems to be no timing or port differences between old and "new" LA25s as far as I am able to determine. My very latest LA25 does have a larger diameter venturi than the old one and I am pretty sure that this is where the increase in power comes from.
I still much prefer the power delivery of the BBTU FP20 than either of the LA25s.

Regards,

Andrew.

BMFA Number 64862

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »

Regards,

Andrew.

Independent thought isn't a crime.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
Hello Douglas!
Said very much with tongue in cheek! I was a touch sceptical aboout the claims for the BBTU ........... until I tried it! I wouldn't swop my FP20s for LA25s, although having said that. My pair of FP25s are good powerplants.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Hello Phil,
I agree with you, that there seems to be no timing or port differences between old and "new" LA25s as far as I am able to determine. My very latest LA25 does have a larger diameter venturi than the old one and I am pretty sure that this is where the increase in power comes from.
I still much prefer the power delivery of the BBTU FP20 than either of the LA25s.

I don't know, mine measures .257 (using calipers, which is consistent with a true bore of .259), just exactly what I get with the 20FP venturi. The spraybar is the same (diameter, not the rest of it) as well.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
THE 25 LA pulls a Nobler pretty well, so does an Enya 25SS or 30SS, Lots of power in the newer  small motors

Randy

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Hello Brett,
The mystery deepens. My new LA25 has a venturi diameter of .265, but my old one is a.255. So it looks as though my conclusion that the increased power output was due to the increased venturi diameter is wrong!
  Apart from the venturi difference I still can't see anything else different. Maybe the "new LA25s" have not yet arrived in the UK?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
Brett,

I need to talk to you at the M&M.

There are a couple inconsistansies here. First an FP 20 is not a 25...... (yeah I know, obviously)

I have an FP 25 ABC and a couple LA 25's.

Here's the perimeters:

9X4 ACP
E-2030 muffler
6mm venturi and an OS NVA
10X22, 50/50 fuel

First I ran the FP.....It turned 13,5+/-
Then I ran the LA....It turned 12,9+/-

So, I opened up both engines and the FP has three ports (boost port?)plus the exhaust port.
The LA has two ports plus the exhaust port.

The cranks are slightly diferent but not enough (side by side with the naked eye) to make a big (?) difference.

The parts listed in my manuel are: crank/piston ass. No. 22553000. I called Tower to see if there is/was an update and she told me that that was it! Meaning that the LA has TWO ports and NO boost port. (I guess I'm using the right terminology)

I'm just not smart enough, or knowledgable enough to tell the difference, but I do know that my FP 25 pulls the Jamison like a mule! And no, I'm not going to change engines to see if there is a difference...........to much trouble.

Pull the head off your engine and lift up the liner to see how many ports you have. I'd be interested to know if Tower (the girl) knows what she's talking about.

See you at M&M, Jerry

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
Hi Jerry

You do not need to pull the head, you can see the boost port, if any thru the exhaust

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
Here's the perimeters:

9X4 ACP
E-2030 muffler
6mm venturi and an OS NVA
10X22, 50/50 fuel

First I ran the FP.....It turned 13,5+/-
Then I ran the LA....It turned 12,9+/-

My LA turned 14,500 with no problem right out of the box. Some of Jim's LAs did indeed have a boost port.

Brett

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
OK, I believe you ,But, I have to see it! H^^

Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
Hi Randy,

Thanks for that. I didn't realize that the very top of the boost port could be seen through the exhaust, but sure enough there is the guy!

Bret, You got a boost port?????????????????

See you at M&M

Jerry

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
I am getting really confused. Both my new and old LA25s perform about the same, despite the new one having a bigger diameter venturi. As far as boost ports are concerned. Am I led to believe the old engines don't have it and the newer ones do? This seems the reverse of what happened to the early LA40s, the first ones had a boost port and the later ones did not. Both of my LA25s do not have boost ports, so WHAT is the difference between the old and the new LA25? Someone put me out of my misery ........ I don't believe in magic. If Brett says the new ones are more powerful then I take that as given. So what IS the difference?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »
Since about 80% of an engine's power come from the piston/liner fit, perhaps OS is just putting a heavier coating on the sleeve and putting is a little more taper in the sleeves.  We're talking at most a couple thousandth's of taper, which takes quite a bit of skill to measure accurately, without special tools.  The engine tuners go mostly by feel and experience.
phil Cartier

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
or they just mic the P/S    ;D

Randy

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
or they just mic the P/S    ;D

Randy

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Shame on you Randy....

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy C.

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Shame on you Randy....

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy C.

.... just teasing with Phil   ;D    8)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
Boost port or not in the liner, the question remains- "Is the crankcase machined for the third port?"

Some of the LA series had this third port in the liner but no matching port in the crankcase. There is a thread on the 40 LA that pertains to this.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20831.0
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
OS does not  machine any of the engines for the ports in the case, they will be cast into the case when made. You should see a bulge for the port bypass that is in the case itself

Randy

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:17 AM »
Brett

Please take a look in the cylinder and see if the boost port opposite the exhaust is functional.  Thanks.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: "New" 25LA-s-RN UPDATE
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »
I had a chance to run the LA in better conditions today. Verdict is - it works pretty darn well as a stunt motor. With a slightly depitched 9-4 APC (down to maybe 3.8), set at about 13,500 launch RPM (very rich 2-stroke), it flew the Skyray very nicely indeed, at least as well as the 20FP. Regulation at a reasonable speed was acceptable, maybe not as perfect as the 20, but quite decent. After the end of my Stunt 25 flight, I did something like 25 consecutive square 8's at competitive dimensions in about a 10 MPH wind, and it maintained the speed with no fading or any other issues. Doing the maneuvers was easy because it was a very consistent rhythm.

Apropos of another thread, and some of the comments above, it had *no problem* hitting 14,500 on the ground with a stock 9-4 APC. I actually flew it with the stock prop the first flight today, and with a 13100 launch RPM, it was 4-stroking on the ground and was WAY into a 4 in the air. Until it ran out of fuel right before the vertical 8! With the modified prop it was about 13,500 on the ground, and was in a solid rich 2 in the air. It had very decent consistency in inside/outside response and was pretty sprightly responding in the air.

Trying to set it on the ground at 13,100 was problematic. it was quite unstable at those revs and the tiniest touch of the needle changed it by a few hundred. At 13,500 it was pretty stable and the needle was not overly touchy.

These numbers are sea level, maybe 72 degrees,dew point in the 50's for comparison purposes. 10% VP/Powermaster "RO-Jett" fuel. As mentioned above, the engine is BONE-STOCK, straight out of the box with NO modifications, NO deburring, NO extra head shims,  NO Dremel tool work, NO aftermarket backplate, stock rear needle and venturi, and supplied OS glowplug. Break-in was EXACTLY as per the instructions TO THE LETTER.

I even tempted the fates by NOT randomly taking it apart looking to verify that it was actually clean inside, since it is not the year 1955.

The only issue I had was not knowing how much fuel to put in. It is running more fuel than the 20FP. I usually full the clunk tank to about the top of the "bubble" on the side, which is something around 2.2 ounces of fuel. This is more than sufficient but is in no danger of running short. With the 25 on the richest flight it was showing signs of running out of fuel as early as the triangles, and eventually quit halfway through the vertical 8. On my second official I figured that I would actually need about 3 ounces, but I wanted to hedge my bet so I put in a full tank. If nothing else I needed to be sure and make it through without fading off early for test purposes. This, with the needle tweaked in a bit, was about 9 minutes (with no screwing around at the beginning of the flight to speak of). Which left plenty of time for horizontal hourglasses and the aforementioned 25 or so consecutive square 8s. Of course I overran, had no landing or pattern points, AND no 20 point bonus, and Pete Cunha beat me (486 to 446, or something like that).

Well, actually this wasn't the only issue, the other issue is that switching back to my regular airplane revealed that it had higher control forces and pulled harder! That made the first few maneuvers on my regular stunt flight a little less-than-ideal until I remembered how to fly it.

BTW, this engine DOES NOT have a boost port.

Brett

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
An interesting report Brett. Does this mean that the 20FP with BBTU has had its day? Just kidding, but I would be interested in knowing which engine you prefer?

Regards,

Andrew.

BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
An interesting report Brett. Does this mean that the 20FP with BBTU has had its day? Just kidding, but I would be interested in knowing which engine you prefer?

Far too early to say. This particular run was better than the 20 with noticeably more effective "power". Whether it will do it with the remarkable consistency over many examples and in different conditions of the 20 remains to be seen.

The one issue I have is that this was a modified prop. That invalidates it from the previous experiment rules, because NO modifications were permitted in the original testing. The goal then and now it to find engines that run well with modern power with no special knowledge required, no special or non-hobby-shop parts or fuel and certainly no modification. Having the depitched prop (even though it is only $1.94 a copy) is arguably a violation of the rules. The idea being that any beginner (or otherwise) could just pick the thing up, set it up as indicated, and be able to reproduce modern-quality engine runs without resorting to "engine experts", that are with rare exceptions, are not.

Most people would prefer the 25LA because you can still get it!

For the record:

BOX-STOCK OS 25LA-S RN with STOCK E2030 Muffler and NO, repeat NO modifications of any type. Break in per directions followed TO THE LETTER including preset needle valve.
   OS Glow Plug (as supplied)
   APC 9-4 prop (depitched to 3.8)
   VP/Powermaster RO-Jett 10% fuel
   Stock Sullivan SS-4 clunk tank set up per instructions for a 3-tube system (hard uniflow into "bump", overflow into inner/upper/right corner, clunk pickup), flat side of tank set up against fuselage and centered on engine, uniflow vent plugged and overflow open to get suction tank. Muffler pressure into overflow. Don't bet on it since I missed it both times, but I would expect that about 3 oz of fuel would do it.
   Launch RPM 13500 (very rich 2-stroke)

Starting - I overchoked it all three times but otherwise I got much better starts this time that the previous, with the same plumbing, Three pulls through followed by 3-4 flips to aerate, then flip through forward.

Brett

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:57 AM »
Thanks for that Brett. I still have one reservation. As far as I am able to determine, there isn't a new LA25. Everything I have been able to measure indicates the same timing etc for all the LA25s that I have been able to measure (new purchase this year, new purchases early last year and two very old LA25s). It just makes me wonder if it is simply a loosening of QC on OS's part giving good and not quite so good engines. The FP20s have been as like as peas in pods and I have a good number of them. The LA25s that I have flown (using the standard BBTU) have been equally consistent, but not quite as good a run as the FP20 and certainly no more powerful.
  I have kept strictly to the BBTU specs for both engine types. I prefer the FP20 from my testing, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that we are not comparing like for like. Maybe there is a modified LA25 engine on sale and I just have old stock?

Thanks again for a most interesting set of results,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
Thanks for that Brett. I still have one reservation. As far as I am able to determine, there isn't a new LA25. Everything I have been able to measure indicates the same timing etc for all the LA25s that I have been able to measure (new purchase this year, new purchases early last year and two very old LA25s). It just makes me wonder if it is simply a loosening of QC on OS's part giving good and not quite so good engines.

We have had a fair number of newer engines that all seemed more powerful. My evaluation of the earlier engines was much as yours - serviceable (and still better than most of the vintage slag motors) but the run quality was not nearly as good, and the power was at most a wash. This despite the 25% more displacement.  I can recall Bob Smiley out there with his take-apart Skyray having to tweak it to "full meltdown" just to get through the patterns.

Jim got a batch of them a few years ago and those engines were entirely different - tons of power, would 4-stroke to remarkably high revs, and ran nice and stable. Same as mine. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I can reliably tell when one engine spins the same prop 1500+ RPM faster!   All my previous experiment motors were loaners so I can't go through them and figure out what the difference might be, but I know they were stock and I know mine is stock.

The run I got yesterday was as good as I have ever gotten with the 20FP, and the performance was at least as good. Whether it will do it for years like that, or whether every engine works the same way, remains to be seen. But it's certainly a viable motor for these sorts of airplanes ("35-sized" profiles originally designed for the Fox/McCoy 35 and the like) and you can still get them in a few days for a pittance.

People tell me the backplate/rear needle is a problem area but so far, so good, on that one, too. The previous metal-mounted "rc carb core" rear needle worked dandy, too. So good that I put one on a Fox 35, with no ill effects. I can imagine what happens when you crash it inverted. But over the 15 flights I currently have on it, it works perfectly, so no reason to run out and buy aftermarket parts that I can see. Also in accordance with the plan.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here