News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Brat Engine"  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
"Brat Engine"
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I ran across an old engine called the "BRAT", has anyone heard of this engine???  Is it a okay engine or is it junk???? I believe its a 28 size engine???? What could you use this junker for, boat anchor???? Maybe Chrome it!!! I believe if your car couldn't make the grade you had to "CHROME IT", Ha Ha. I would appreciate any information, good or bad, about this baby. I guess ya could fly it on ten foot lines???? Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
Re: "Brat Engine"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »
Like everything else, depends on condition as to worth. Picture would be nice. Anderson's bluebook of model engines may give you an idea since they cover just about all engines and fairly current prices.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
The Bluebird line of engines were sold as Brat in the US. AFAIK they were only made in 25, 28 and 45 size (all of them AAC :)) plus the ABC 51. I have the 28 (AAC) Bluebird and the 51 (ABC) Bluebird, both seem to be very nicely made engines which start and run extremely well on my usual zero nitro fuel. When they were still available my LHS owner would only use Bluebirds because he was so impressed by them.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »
Hello Gary,

I like old spark engines, so just pack it up and send it to me! Seriously, Brats have always fascinated me, they are rare birds and I guess they are quite valuable........sigh, so I suppose yours will finish up in some glass case collection. Brats were made in 1938 and 1939, the 1939 ones were around a .15 size and the 1938 ones were a little less capacity. The very last ones had Brat stamped on the bypass. They were made in very small batches with some considerable variation between batches. This is one of the reasons that I find them so interesting, there probably isn't such a thing as a definitive Brat!
  I know that there are some repros about, although they are stamped as such below the mounts. I was entrusted with a non runner for restoration. This was a very early sand cast version from 1937, I didn't think that any existed, but there is at least one! After restoration, I was allowed to fly it. No great shakes power wise, but very easy to handle. I suspect that my fits and finishes may have been better than the originals (boasting!!), so the one I tried may have been better than most.
  You have a rather rare beast, so make sure you do a little old time free flight, or at least sell it to someone that will use it rather than a collector!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
Hi guys,
This is a picture of my Brat, I haven't weighted her yet but she seems to be okay. A lot of compression, ball bearing, nice muffler. I got a hunch she's going to be a nice baby. Not sure what size plane she will pull, so I'll have to start her up and see what she can pull. Good old fish weight scale works for pull test. It looks like she will be a rpm type motor. Would appreciate any input, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »
Here's a photo of my Bluebird 28. Weight of the bare engine is 8.25 ounces plus 1.5 ounces for the muffler.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here