Vendors Corner > Cox International

Cox 049 High compression glow heads

<< < (2/4) > >>

Phil Krankowski:
Yes, these glow red.  In sunlight you might not be able to see it, even if you cup your hands.  Try in a darker space.  If it sizzles it is good. 

You can also put a small drop of fuel into the plug then hook it up and it will instantly boil out (and may catch fire, but only for an instant since it was a small drop of fuel!)

I suspect you are priming like a big engine (because of the sizzle), and spraying fuel into the OPEN exhaust port.  This floods the engine quite instantly.  Instead rotate the engine through till the exhaust is CLOSED and then let surface tension collect a drop of fuel in the exhaust port (only 1 of them).  Now when the engine is cycled through the correct amount of prime enters through the exhaust.

Now on a "dry" engine that has not been run in several days I do "flood" it, to make sure everything is wet with oil and fuel.  I clear the flood, fill the tank and then prime with the exhaust closed (like I just described).

Phil

Andy Bush:

--- Quote from: Phil Krankowski on March 28, 2015, 04:41:33 PM ---Yes, these glow red.  In sunlight you might not be able to see it, even if you cup your hands.  Try in a darker space.  If it sizzles it is good. 
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Phil. I was testing these plugs in the closed garage and was cupping my hand. No red glow at all. I tried putting a drop or so of fuel on the glow element expecting to see a bubbling as I remember from the past. All I got was a faint response. Voltmeter says the new battery is right at 1.5 volts. The Cox plug connector voltage checks OK too. I'm stumped!

Andy

Phil Krankowski:
hmm...OK.  So minimal response. 

What battery are you using?  If you are not using a 2D cell in parallel I would try one of those with fresh alkaline batteries.  I have a habit of suspecting power panels and rechargeable ignitors.  (Wire and tape work very well if you lack an alkaline tray, at least for a while.  These self-drain since you cannot break the circuit without taking it apart.  I made a tray from RadioShack parts when they were still around.)

If you are using an old Cox clip, I would suspect the wires, and probably clean the clip with some fine sandpaper.  The thin solid wires on those old clips break inside.  Get some lamp cord or speaker wire and replace the wire. 

Fire off an email message to Bernie, the contact link at the top of coxengines.ca if the 2 D cells don't light it up, and you are sure your wiring is good.  I would be stumped too.

Phil

Andy Bush:

--- Quote from: Phil Krankowski on March 28, 2015, 07:43:12 PM ---hmm...OK.  So minimal response. 

What battery are you using?  If you are not using a 2D cell in parallel I would try one of those with fresh alkaline batteries.  I have a habit of suspecting power panels and rechargeable ignitors.  (Wire and tape work very well if you lack an alkaline tray, at least for a while.  These self-drain since you cannot break the circuit without taking it apart.  I made a tray from RadioShack parts when they were still around.)

If you are using an old Cox clip, I would suspect the wires, and probably clean the clip with some fine sandpaper.  The thin solid wires on those old clips break inside.  Get some lamp cord or speaker wire and replace the wire. 

Fire off an email message to Bernie, the contact link at the top of coxengines.ca if the 2 D cells don't light it up, and you are sure your wiring is good.  I would be stumped too.

Phil

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Phil

I'm using one of the traditional 1.5v batteries sold in the LHS. It's new, as I said and its voltage checks OK as does the voltage at the Cox clip.

I'll try cleaning that clip as you suggested.

I've ordered a test stand for the larger engines...a question about those plugs...

I can't remember what size plug (short or long) is used. I'm going to start these engines: Fox 15 and 35, Torpedo 23 and 35, OK 29, Enya 19.

I've had that OK 29 since the 50s and have never been able start it...this time I hope to, it may take one of those electric starter thingies.

Phil Krankowski:

--- Quote from: Andy Bush on March 29, 2015, 09:15:38 AM ---Thanks, Phil

I'm using one of the traditional 1.5v batteries sold in the LHS. It's new, as I said and its voltage checks OK as does the voltage at the Cox clip.

I'll try cleaning that clip as you suggested.

I've ordered a test stand for the larger engines...a question about those plugs...

I can't remember what size plug (short or long) is used. I'm going to start these engines: Fox 15 and 35, Torpedo 23 and 35, OK 29, Enya 19.

I've had that OK 29 since the 50s and have never been able start it...this time I hope to, it may take one of those electric starter thingies.

--- End quote ---

A battery can test with good voltage, yet when a load is on it the voltage drops.  Try the D cells, even if just a temporary setup.

As for the glow plugs "yes"  Out of 3 differed fox 15's 3 different plugs may be required...

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version