News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VooDoo!!!! Precision Cut Foam Cores  (Read 5903 times)

Offline phil c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
VooDoo!!!! Precision Cut Foam Cores
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »
Tom Luciano of northern New Jersey and I collaborated on this project. Al Ferraro put a N35 engine on a tapered wing he'd built that was(is?) mind blowing.   He had a pretty foam wing VooDoo that flew just like a wood VooDoo at their Vintage combat Flyin.

The airfoil is matched to the plans in the Goldberg Double VooDoo kit and 1.5in. thick at the highpoint.  It will accomodate either a pacifier or a 1.25in. bladder tube.
Top and bottom flat spars and a leading edge slot for a similar strip of wood to help prevent dings and foam wing cuts.

The wings are stack cut as usual, two panel in one block.  The span will be 24 in. because the extra would simply be trashed and adds a lot of time to cutting the blanks.

Besides, a 48in. VooDoo with 460 squares and an aspect ratio of 5 would make an awesome flying machine for demonstrations.

Pricing will be similar to other wings this size- $45 for a box of 4 sets of cores, or $15 for one set.  Plus shipping, likely will be UPS because the post office prices skyrocketed last month.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 08:08:30 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: VooDoo!!!! Precision Cut Foam Cores
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
Are these still available?

Offline phil c

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
Merry Christmas, Bill,

Yes, the VooDoo! design foam wing is on hand.
The cores have a chord of 8 5/8in.  18in. panel length. That will give to full old VooDoo area.

The trailing edge is aboutj 3/16 in. thick if you want to add a solid trailing edge.  Several layers of covering on the top and bottom of the trailing edge will stiffen it.

The booms should extend a bit over the spars.  Adding a vertical spar of 1/8in wood about three inches from the trailing edge can interlock with the booms.

The cores also have a 1/8th by 3/8 in,. leading edge slot to beef up the motor mount area.

Due to mailing regulations I have to pack either One set in a box, or two sets with the top and bottom pieces of the block and other paper or dunnage to protect the cores.

Shipping is about $15 to Texas.

About two years ago the USPS changed their "balloon" charge for larger light boxes.  Essentially, anything over 1 cu.f.t and weighing more that3-4lbs get hit with a 3-10 times upcharge outside of the local zone.

phil Cartier

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
I am looking for a constant chord wing for semi-scale 75 mph combat, something Skyray"ish". I am open to suggestions. Can you recommend anything better than the Voodoo?

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 11:05:24 AM »
I've actually flown this with a la 25 and a 36xBB. Fun airplane to fly. I just use a shim under the mount for the 36 size case.
AMA 13001

Offline phil c

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 08:05:15 PM »
I am looking for a constant chord wing for semi-scale 75 mph combat, something Skyray"ish". I am open to suggestions. Can you recommend anything better than the Voodoo?

Well, the date shown is not exactly up to date, but close enough.  Airplane requirements and design it pretty stable now.  9in chord and about 40in span. will carry just about any 35 size engine.  I can tell you right now that using a wing with a fairly steep taper(under 25% at the tip compared to the root)is about 25-40% better than a rectangular wing.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here