News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SLC? anyone?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline phil c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
SLC? anyone?
« on: November 04, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
I'm about at my wits end(what little I have).  I can't find small quantities(500lb) available anywhere for a reasonable price.  The Dupont film business was sold to another company that only works through distributior/post processors.

So far the best suggestion from one was everybody is only taking minimum orders of 2000lb at a cost well over $20,000.  That will last about 30 years, which I can't guarantee.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them.  The above would supply about 65-70 rolls cut 18in. wide at about $380 per roll- about 35,000 lineal feet.

Any real suggestions would be appreciated.
Phil C
717-566-3810
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SLC? anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 06:05:05 PM »
This is more thinking out loud but -- does anyone else make similar stuff?  What about the mylar film the free-flight guys swear by?  What do the Eastern European guys cover their planes with?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
I forgot to mention:  if you've been paying attention to western civilization's corporate culture, Phil, what you're supposed to do is to find some cheap smelly crap that sticks to itself but not to balsa, can't be cut but falls apart in the air, and then sell it as New, Improved SLC-II!!!.

I think you should have realized that by now.

Jeesh.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Phil...I got a lifetime supply from you as I no longer can build

Before I found you and SLC I had (through Jeff Dawson) accumulated some light thin mil Doculam in rolls from a Oregon company....stupid cheap...BUT slightly heavier than your SLC...
At the time (2011) I is was ordering what Jeff suggested, but saw they had even thinner stuff....Think I got 2.5mill  but too brain damaged to be sure

Sorry two strokes (not engines) later, and lost e-mail to computer crash, I can not provide a link

Also ask Bob Mears about his shrink supplier...I do not think what he is using for combat wings is self adhesive but maybe the mylar supplier has a product
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »
Phil, I have used your SLC on quite a few planes and like it a lot.  But on the Ebay site I found this guy who sells Mylar in 25 foot pieces.   He is listed as day_trader.   He lists it as Clear Super Flite Top Mylar Model Covering.  He maybe can help you.  Just a thought. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
Phil, I have used your SLC on quite a few planes and like it a lot.  But on the Ebay site I found this guy who sells Mylar in 25 foot pieces.   He is listed as day_trader.   He lists it as Clear Super Flite Top Mylar Model Covering.  He maybe can help you.  Just a thought. D>K

Good idea, John.  It's twice as thick and uses a different adhesive.  I may buy some just to see.  With his instructions it's mostly using paint as the adhesive.
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
This is more thinking out loud but -- does anyone else make similar stuff?  What about the mylar film the free-flight guys swear by?  What do the Eastern European guys cover their planes with?

There are a lot of people selling Mylar(Dupont TM) and other polyester films.  There's probably hundreds of different formulae.  I've seen ads for tinted mylar(probably in the adhesive) that was light enough, but only available in hobby quantities at hobby prices- similar to Ultracoat, Econokote, etc.  The Eastern Europeans use heavier film- 1-maybe 2thou which is tougher and more resistant to tearing than most polyester film, but it needs adhesive.  It's a good technique, but it doesn't work on foam because it needs to glued to the foam for stiffness and strength.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
Good idea, John.  It's twice as thick and uses a different adhesive.  I may buy some just to see.  With his instructions it's mostly using paint as the adhesive.

I have never used paint on the glue side of this Mylar.  I use scraps of Monokote and material from the fabric store for graphics and color.  This plane uses Monokote on fuse and the Mylar over Doc  paper on the wings.   Only Mylar on the stab/elevator.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here