News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wow, You Guys Are Having Too Much Fun!  (Read 723 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Wow, You Guys Are Having Too Much Fun!
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:11 PM »
Dennis Leonhardi in New Prague, Minnesota here ... I've been on the forums for several years, although I haven't paid much attention to anything other than the Open Forum and Classifieds.  For some reason I started looking here a couple of weeks ago, and ... Wow!  What a trip down Memory Lane!

I'll be 76 this summer, started flying back about 1952 and was hooked the first time I saw Combat.  I must have set a record for the number of planes destroyed during the process of learning how to simply fly out a tank, but kept at because ... well, I was gonna do whatever it took to fly combat!

And fun it was for many years.  I've enjoyed Riley Wooten's reminiscences (in the open forum), and discussion of the "old" combat planes, but seeing how many of you are building and flying the oldies has convinced not to sell the last of my Fox 36Xs and to maybe even find another ... now, what to build?

Incidentally, I've known Phil Cartier (one of the really good guys) since he was a teenager as he grew up in this area, and have recovered from our many ... um, er, ah ... discussions? regarding the merits of Fox vs. SuperTigre engines.     HB~>

I see that Ken Burdick has included some of my photos in one of his "Combat Graffiti" slide shows, so if you wanna see OLD ... well, just sayin'!

A couple of the oldies I think would really be fun but never built ... (1) Scrapper (nice job Gordan!) and (2) Riley Wooten's Guided Missile.  (That thing is so small it must go like stink with a Norvel .061!  Saw one fly back in the '50s, supposedly by a kid who had just done well at the Nats - very fast, but he was no threat.)

Anyway, I'll be back!  Thanks for the memories!

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here