News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What "Other" engines have same mounting pattern as Fora 15  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What "Other" engines have same mounting pattern as Fora 15
« on: October 07, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
Today at the Philly Combat contest I picked up a very nice FAI combat model for $50 The plane was set up for a Fora 15. What other engines will fit the Fora's mounting pattern? Thanks,PhillySkip

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: What "Other" engines have same mounting pattern as Fora 15
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »
Skip,
If your using metal mounts drilled and tapped for your Fora I believe the spacing is 15mm on the engine lugs . In New Zealand years ago a very common speed limit engine was the ASP / Magnum.15 using those mounts and F2D models . I believe a FP,La ,or TT .15 will fit also . Just not as fast .

Try an ASP 7x4 to start . The balance might be off so start with the engine pulled all the way out . Nose heavy = dull ... tail heavy = whoa !

Brad

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:44:31 AM »
Today at the Philly Combat contest I picked up a very nice FAI combat model for $50 The plane was set up for a Fora 15. What other engines will fit the Fora's mounting pattern? Thanks,PhillySkip
A super tiger 15 and 23 both will fit the same mounting lug on the aluminum mounts. You will need to shim up the mounts on the airplane for a correct fit.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
I think that both the Cox Conquest & The Nelson are close enough to work. 
Paul Smith

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
Skip,
If your using metal mounts drilled and tapped for your Fora I believe the spacing is 15mm on the engine lugs . In New Zealand years ago a very common speed limit engine was the ASP / Magnum.15 using those mounts and F2D models . I believe a FP,La ,or TT .15 will fit also . Just not as fast .

Try an ASP 7x4 to start . The balance might be off so start with the engine pulled all the way out . Nose heavy = dull ... tail heavy = whoa !

Brad

Spacing (Center to Center) on all modern FAI Combat Engines + Alumounts like Fora, Zalp , Cyclon and Profi
is for sure 13mm.
I have all parts here to measure.
2 Combat buddies in Spain using with success OS LA 15 + FAI Combat Wings + 13mm Fora Alumounts for Speed-Limit Combat.

H^^
Peter
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 04:47:17 PM »
Thanks all for jumping into the discussion. I'm not actually interested in flying combat as my old legs won't allow that, but I couldn't pass up this plane. It's one of those Russian/Ukrainian jobs with a molded fiberglass leading edge and thin carbon fiber trailing edges. The motor mount was for a Fora ,which was also for sale for $150 but I figured  a slower mill was more my speed for farting around. Once I get an engine in there I'll try it out and report back to you. A pal of mine has a Cox Conquest so I'm going over there tonight to see how it fits the mount. The seller also gave me some bladder tanks for it.

Assuming the Cox fits what prop and fuel mix would be good? Thanks,Skip

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
Thanks all for jumping into the discussion. I'm not actually interested in flying combat as my old legs won't allow that, but I couldn't pass up this plane. It's one of those Russian/Ukrainian jobs with a molded fiberglass leading edge and thin carbon fiber trailing edges. The motor mount was for a Fora ,which was also for sale for $150 but I figured  a slower mill was more my speed for farting around. Once I get an engine in there I'll try it out and report back to you. A pal of mine has a Cox Conquest so I'm going over there tonight to see how it fits the mount. The seller also gave me some bladder tanks for it.

Assuming the Cox fits what prop and fuel mix would be good? Thanks,Skip

The Conquest will give you problems.  ALL the newer F2D ARF's are set up for a tilted rear exhaust with space above the leading edge for a muffler.   The Conquest exhaust points straight back and won't  clear the leading edge spar.

The LA 15 would be the best bet, I'd say.  It should pull a plane set up for a Fora at around 75mph+ or so on F2D length lines.  For flying try 10% nitro with 12.5% castor and 12.5% synthetic.  The specified F2D fuel with all castor gums up F2D motor very quickly.  Most flyers either run the plane for practice with the blended oil and only use all castor where it is provided at contest.  A few runs on blended fuel will clear out the varnish from a few contest runs on contest fuel.
phil Cartier

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:05 AM »
Phil ,I went over to Steve Dinerman's last night and he gave me the Conquest engine. The hole spacing appears to be the same as the Fora. However I'll need to do some file work on the inside edge of the motor mount and use flat head screws to hold the mount on the plane. This plane has a relief valley  on the fiberglass leading edge for the Fora muffler ,so the exhaust coming straight out the rear of the Conquest should not be a problem. I'll take a picture of the plane and post it here once set up for flying. I'll also keep an eye out for an La15.......Skip

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
Phil ,I went over to Steve Dinerman's last night and he gave me the Conquest engine. The hole spacing appears to be the same as the Fora. However I'll need to do some file work on the inside edge of the motor mount and use flat head screws to hold the mount on the plane. This plane has a relief valley  on the fiberglass leading edge for the Fora muffler ,so the exhaust coming straight out the rear of the Conquest should not be a problem. I'll take a picture of the plane and post it here once set up for flying. I'll also keep an eye out for an La15.......Skip

Before filing, do you have the offset mounts we use now? That might be enough. I'll post a pic later today if you would like

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
Skip,
       Set it up with a LA .25. I think Phil sells the mounts to fit your model. You can adjust your speed with different props and venturi's. Fly it on 60ft .018 lines, then if you want to try a combat match you are close to the speed limit set up. You have a lot of guys in your area that use this combo with good results.
Al

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Early this morning I broke the stuck Conquest free. It had an OS carb JB welded onto the throat. I broke the carb loose with some heat. I then carefully turned down an old ST sprinkler type venturi (very small opening) and fitted it with ST NVA to engine. Engine seemed to have good compression. I mounted her on a test stand and off to the field I went.
I had some 5% Nitro fuel with 18%  Synthetic oil. I fitted a Cox grey 7x3.5 prop. She started right up and after a minute or two of rich running I leaned her down.  She turned just shy of 19000 RPM with my GloBee optical tach.
I'm certain that with some new bearings she'd do much more.

Guys I do appreciate all of your help and suggestions,but I'm not getting into this Combat thing. I bought the plane for some afternoon something different. I will mount this engine on the Fora mount and have fun with it as is. I'll do a flight report soon I promise.......PhillySkip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
I fitted the Conquest to the Fora mount with a bit of file work to chamfer the inside edges of the motor mount. I also used a dremel to open up the hole in the rear of the mount so I could slide the engine all the back. The Fora mounting pattern was exactly the same as the Conquest. Can't wait to try her out. BTW I set up a Hot Rock handle with 60' x.015 lines. I hope it won't be so fast to screw me into the ground!

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:29:56 PM »
You might want a handle with a little narrower line spacing than a hot rock. Most f2d's come with 2" (give or take a smidge) bellcranks and with 4"+ (sm hot rock) or 5"+ (lg hot rock) handle spacing that makes for very quick controls. Most F2D handles have more like 3.5" spacing
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
Good point ,I'll see if I have something with closer spacing.Thanks

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
                    Does the needle on the Conquest work well using bladder?

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
                    Does the needle on the Conquest work well using bladder?
Seems I remember Larry bringing out a Conquest on an F2 plane running a stock needle. The results were poor. He didn't pursue it any further by trying a different needle, sold the engine.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
Yesterday I flew the F2 Combat plane with the Conquest 15. I used the small Hot Rock handle with 61'lines. The plane felt "sluggish" when turning....not what I expected. Almost like a trainer.I'm guessing she was nose heavy. Only got one flight as I bent the rod with my electric starter.....please don't throw stones at me. It was dumb.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 03:35:22 AM »
                  Your line length was too long and why do you insist on using a starter?  Mecoa offers a rod for the Conquest, you might die waiting for it but it's in stock, Part Number: 16-0501

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
If you insist on the Conquest try 52' .015 lines next time. The Conquest will not screw you into the dirt even on 52's. You are underpowering the airplane so it will not really perform like it's intended. Use a .25 with an 8x4 and you'll be much happier. I've seen you fly Skip you can handle it. Once you are comfy put an 8x6 on it. 60' lines.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
Yesterday I flew the F2 Combat plane with the Conquest 15. I used the small Hot Rock handle with 61'lines. The plane felt "sluggish" when turning....not what I expected. Almost like a trainer.I'm guessing she was nose heavy. Only got one flight as I bent the rod with my electric starter.....please don't throw stones at me. It was dumb.

Sorry about the rod.
The Conquest is heavier than newer F2D engines.  Fora, Zalp, Cyclon, all run 120 grams +/-.  I think the Conquest is well over an ounce(28,35gr) more.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here