News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Were you mugged by Riley's PIRATE ?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Were you mugged by Riley's PIRATE ?
« on: June 28, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
      Question for the old guys........Who, reading this post, actually built a Riley Wooten PIRATE combat ship and actually flew it.  It was published in the June 1955  issue of Flying Models -   I did, in 1955 and powered it with a K&B .35 greenhead which was too powerful and broke the wing spar in tight turns.  Riley got away with flying this design in competition (and winning), because he used a Fox .35 stunt engine.  It apparently didn't have the power to destroy the wing spar in tight turns. ...........  Anyway, just wondering........ because I'll bet the answer is no.     D>K       H^^
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:27:09 AM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Were you mugged by Riley's PIRATE ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »
I don't remember it.  Of course that was before I discovered or was told about the Flying Eagles of KCK. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Were you mugged by Riley's PIRATE ?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
I don't recall the Pirate either.  But I recall A LOT of outboard wings falling off fast-tight turning combat planes.

Some of the designs with upright engines involved notching the LE.  In other cases, the builders compromised the spar to fit in a store-bought fuel tank.

As the writer mentioned, some involved better engines that caused the design to be over-extended.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
Home of the control line combat museum.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here