News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: voo doo building instructions  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
voo doo building instructions
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »

I am not sure if my question on voo doo construction was found, but I need some info on building questions were found, but I do need some help/info on building a VooDoo as I have never built one, so any help will be greatly appreciated..   Thanks a lot...from the Bootlegger
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: voo doo building instructions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »
Pretty simple.

Job One is finding a 1" x 1" x 36" shaped leading edge.  I bought several from local hobby shops and the weight varies from a few lightweights at 1.5 ounces to some as high as 3 ounces.  A 3-ounce leading edge would make for a strong but heavy Voodoo.

The straight will makes for easy rib-cutting.  Scratch builders generally omit the 1/4" square spar.

I always make full 1/2" center rib in lieu of the block sandwiched between two sheet ribs.
Paul Smith

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
               Paul, I'm surprised you didn't mention the use of a continuous wire hinge. The Voodoo used two separate wire hinges wrapped with cloth. This will not only come out, it can throw the elevator out of alignment if not done accurately.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »
Yes, the continuous wire very quickly became the standard for all twin boom stabilators.  I guess I just took it for granted after so long.  The planes need tail weight anyway.

Another such upgrade was using a plywood control horn mount secured to the wire with fibre cloth.  The idea was that you might save enough of the flipper to complete the match.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here