• May 04, 2024, 05:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 29  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Don Stoneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Fox 29
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Looking thru my Fox MkIII's and MkIV's and found a MkIV that has 29 stamped on the case. I pulled the head and sure enough its a .29. Anyone have any information on these engines?

Thanks

Don

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Fox 29
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
They needed to get under .30 for B free flight.  A lot of engine makers, including Fox, K&B, Supertigre, and even Nelson, built 29's out of downsized 35's and 40's.
Paul Smith

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
A couple of us used them for team race. Early 80's maybe? They were nice engines to run. Fast and easy starting. When TR was revived again by others they changed displacement to .28 and that was that! I still have mine and parts for another one.

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »
How can you tell an Mk series?  I have a Fox 29 ... I assumed it was a stunt engine.  Ran it for awhile in a Vampire, but it had a horrible burp that I couldn't get rid of.

Offline Don Stoneman

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »
Thanks for the information, I had dropped out of flying around 83 and never knew Fox made this motor, Since returning to flying again I have picked up some older engines. Don't know where I might have picked this one up. But with the smaller version of the combat engine I was wondering what to use it on. If you didn't know about the stamp or checked the bore you would think it was a MKIV from the outside.

Again Thanks,

Don

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
Don, we sorta talked about this at H'vile.  Fox made 29 versions of several versions of their engines.  The Fox Stunt 35 case was also built as a 29.  I had one for awhile.  The next one, the first combat case with the half inch crank also had a 29 in at least one of the versions, plain head, black head, and red head.  Then they built a 29 sleeve in the M IV case, I had one around here.  And finally they built a 29 version of the Mk VII that you showed me at H'ville.

As far as I know all the different series were more or less interchageable.  Thte stunt 29 I had may have had different timing.  It liked to run faster on a 9/6 and more in a rich 2cycle but seemed to fly as fast and run as well as a regular stunt 35 in the same plane.

phil Cartier

Offline john gunn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »

I have one of those.it looks like a marke4,but it is a 29,never been run, still in the box.  A very rare engine, plan to
t on  mine for a while.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here