News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tryin' to Stay Alive in the World------  (Read 3588 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tryin' to Stay Alive in the World------
« on: March 24, 2022, 03:48:14 PM »
Had to put this somewhere.
I spent about a month trying to figure out why I was so knocked out.  Turned out to be brain Hemorrhage.  Another six weeks confirmed that , along with some surgery for pressure, fluid, etc.

On the plus side, I'm still alive.  On the other hand, things could be a lot better.

I'm aiming to go to the first  contest in New Jersey to cheer.  maybe get cheered out of the flight circle.

Wish me some luck.

Phil Cartier,  groaning in a corner.!!!!

Just to start closing out-  I have recovered to about 85% now(6/25/2022)

After tripping over my feet in matches the stumbling around at Brodak's combat the tripping is gone.
I'm sure that's partly from being able to do jumping jacks by turning around in three jumps, then doing the reverse.  Its the simplest agility exercise since it challenges brain, balance, and strong leg muscles.
For quite a number of years I was doing the exercise with a hundred jumps first thing in the morning.

Now I've got to try and put on 30lbs of muscle to get some STRENGTH back.

Ihanks to all the encouragement from various folks.  It has helped a tremendous amount for the moral support.

Thanks to All is All I can say.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:17:32 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Tryin' to Stay Alive in the World------
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 07:58:40 PM »
Hang tough Phil!!! Kathy and I are looking forward to seeing you at Brodak's !
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 11:30:35 PM »
I'm awful sorry to hear that Phil, you've always been one of the Good Guys!  Please do what ya gotta do to make the best of every day and take good care of yourself!

We really were young once, remember?

Dennis,
keeping you in my thoughts & prayers
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 06:11:35 AM »
Hey Phil, Looking forward to seeing you next week!    TS

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 06:03:23 PM »
I spent about a month trying to figure out why I a so knocked out.  Turned out to be brain hemorrhage.  Another week confirmed that, along with some surgery for pressure, fluid, etc.

On the plus side, I'm still alive.  On the other hand, things could be a lot better.

I'm aiming to go to the first  contest in New Jersey this year to cheer.  Maybe get cheered out of the flight circle.

Wish me some luck.

p.s.  The jumping jacks are starting to help.  Also going to start some lifting and strength exercises.  I used to weigh in at 180-185 and had a lot more strength.  I've lost some 30-35 lbs!

The contest got delayed a week due to rain.  Barry Lyter jr. drove, due to PA rules.  I have to have somebody check me out for a driver's license.  Barry's Dad is also Barry,  close to 84 and can still put up a decent match.
The weather was beautiful.  Everything went smoothly.  I got some cuts.  Didn't crash or midair.  Spent half my time coaching opponents on how to get lined up.  Didn't have much if any dizziness or stumbling.

The next step is exercising and some weight lifting to get strong again.  I lost lbs. to this fiasco.  It's going to be difficult t build muscle again without getting fat!

I spent about a month trying to figure out why I a so knocked out.  Turned out to be brain hemorrhage.  Another six weeks confirmed that , along with some surgery for pressure, fluid, etc.

I'm aiming to go to the first  contest in New Jersey to cheer.  maybe get cheered out of the flight circle.

Wish me some luck.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:22:06 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 09:56:05 PM »
Get well soon Phil Cartier.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »
So glad you got it taken care of in time.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 06:39:48 PM »
I want to send a big cheer of Thanks to everyone who posted or called in with encouragement.  It was so great, even though I was half asleep mostly in the hospital.

Fortunately I don't actually remember much of what happened. A dim view of a big, barely finished open hall with half a dozen gurney's.  Somebody gave me a few pills and a drink.
The last think I remember until  I woke up in the recovering area, which was the same as where they got me.  Recovery seemed very slow.  It took another 2 weeks before I could walk
much.

So another thanks to all the great people who fly model airplanes and go to contests and get-togethers.

Thanks So Much,
Phil Cartier.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:23:57 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 01:12:59 PM »
Phil, be blessed with great health again and don't rush it.  At least you're still seeing the green side of the grass and have a super good outlook.
Blessings,
Will Hinton
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 06:58:13 PM »
Phil, be blessed with great health again and don't rush it.  At least you're still seeing the green side of the grass and have a super good outlook.
Blessings,
Will Hinton

Thanks will.  The improvements are going on quite regularly.  Thanks for your support.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »
It was great to see you at Brodaks.  Just don't rush it and take care of your self.  Couldn't get the family over to the combat area.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 08:19:46 PM »
I've officially declared myself better.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in here and other places and at the contests.  It helped a lot to hear the encouragement.  Still need strength and agility training, but it's coming along.

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 08:13:30 PM »

Thanks Motorman.  Cheer Leaders are great.

Next on the agenda is some 6-8 Doctors apptments to follow up on the hospital stay.
They did leave somethings hanging that have to get cleared up.
phil Cartier

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 06:04:23 PM »
Hi Phil, Hope you get back up to speed soon.  Hope to see you again at the NATS.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »
I'm awful sorry to hear that Phil, you've always been one of the Good Guys!  Please do what ya gotta do to make the best of every day and take good care of yourself!

We really were young once, remember?

Dennis,
keeping you in my thoughts & prayers

Thanks for the picture Dennis, and the kind thoughts. Very Cheering, like many of the comments.  Just THANKS.

That was the Bumble Bee II.  I started using the over under flat spars on it.  The original used heavier square stock.
With the double taper wing it performed much better than a straight wing for me, especially if the straight wing was too heavy.  There was a reason the WWII planes almost all had tapered wings.  It won matches for me against a number of other flyers at the NATS and other venues.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »
Hi Phil,
     It's been a long time! I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. Keep doing what the doctors are telling you to do. Since being thrown out of a hydroplane at 70 MPH in 2007 I have been adjusting to my injuries from that and also a knee replacement in 2019 and back surgery last Christmas. It's tough having a 35 year old brain and a 71 year old "repaired" body that won't do what you want it to. I do wish you the best , though my friend. I hope we will get to meet up at a contest sometime soon. I would like to learn to fly again. We'll see how that works out with my limited neck movement! I'm still racing R/C boats.......much safer racing them standing on the bank.........

Dick Tyndall

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 04:34:23 PM »

"It's been a long time! I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. Keep doing what the doctors are telling you to do. Since being thrown out of a hydroplane at 70 MPH in 2007 I have been adjusting to my injuries from that and also a knee replacement in 2019 and back surgery last Christmas. It's tough having a 35 year old brain and a 71 year old "repaired" body that won't do what you want it to. I do wish you the best , though my friend. I hope we will get to meet up at a contest sometime soon. I would like to learn to fly again. We'll see how that works out with my limited neck movement! I'm still racing R/C boats.......much safer racing them standing on the bank.........

Hi Dick.  I still can find you when I need to.
Have you ever tried an event or tested ways to turn an event into just talking "good" talk about 'good' planes and/or planes.

[/quote/]  Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 06:12:42 PM »
Trying Motorman,  I'm TRYING!

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 03:28:30 PM »
Hi Phil, Hope you get back up to speed soon.  Hope to see you again at the NATS.

Hi Bryan,  I'm afraid the NATS won't happen this year.  My son is  getting married soon,  my wifes looking for another Cat. (She lost a Blue Black Russian a couple of weeks ago.)  It just ran away.  It may come  back, may not, we'll see.  It was pretty Flaky at first but it grew up within 9 months and now has run away.
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 03:34:19 PM »

Me Too, Brian.  We thought were set up for Retirement when we found out this year that the Losers trying to take over the Government are getting lots of underground support,  such as "Billionaires".

I hate to say it, but I think it is time to get some limits into the elections.  Buying out elections was supposed to have disappeared around 1920.

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline Larry Hill

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2023, 05:59:22 AM »
It’s great to here your on the way back to good health. Patsy and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
Larry Hill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here