Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Combat

Tongue mufflers

(1/4) > >>

kevin king:
Has anyone ever tried a tongue muffler on a fox 36? I really dont want people that launch the plane to go deaf myself included.

Brad LaPointe:
Kevin,
A lot of the combat crowd has some level of hearing impairment . Ear plugs and muffs should be part all combat flyers and pitmens tool kit .

Mufflers are a P.I.T.A. for Fox engines unless you have landing gear . The loudest engine I ever pitted was a Cippolla .36 rear exhaust. It literally hurt .

Get over to Princess Auto and pick up some hearing protection. Even with tongue mufflers a Fox .36 will be too loud for long exposure.

Brad

kevin king:
Thanks Brad.

howard shenton:
A while back I experimented with a Tongue muffler laid parallel with the Cylinder head using a home made 90 deg. adapter.  Worked OK but did not reduce the noise to any great extent. Roy Glen saw what I was doing and sent me his version. A tube muffler with an inner drilled tube drilled with many holes and an outer tube for mounting. Much quieter than my version but much harder to fabricate.
Did not continue any further development.

Paul Smith:
Tongue mufflers are good for compliance with muffler rules and getting the exhaust outside the cowl.

If you really want to reduce the painful jolt of energy when the exhaust port first opens, you need an expansion chamber with some amount of volume. 

A contraption with a lot of holes and no volume just channels the noise straight through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version