News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max35AX has anyone used it for fast Combat converted to U/C use?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Don Holder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
I bought an OS Max 35 AX R/C and have been planning on converting it to run on a bladder in a VooDoo. Has anyone used this engine for fast combat? From what I can tell it ought to be a hot one. Dreaming of a Nelson someday!
Don Holder

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS Max35AX has anyone used it for fast Combat converted to U/C use?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
I believe it has a 12mm shaft.  If you really let it run, it will break the shaft across the port.  It's simply a matter of time until the shaft fatigues.  For sport flying on a VooDoo it will run just fine, but keep it out out of the 15,000 rpm range.  Somewhere around 18-20,000 should pull it plenty fast.  A wood prop helps too, less mass vibrating.
phil Cartier

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:37:11 AM »
Hey Phil, did you mean keep it out of 25,000 range?

We run Magnum 32's and OS 32sx's around 15,000 all day long.

-Chris

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »
Hey Phil, did you mean keep it out of 25,000 range?

We run Magnum 32's and OS 32sx's around 15,000 all day long.

The G.21's, with 12mm shafts(and an iron piston)tended to break the shaft across the port.  It seemed to be partially related to rpm.

I tried a Thunder Tiger 36 wide open.  It blew the shaft after 3 runs around 20k.
The point is, a 12 mm shaft isn't big enough to handle the 1.5 hp it takes to fly a plane over 100 mph.

-Chris

phil Cartier

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
The 36x and then G-21 were king during my time. The 6 bolt fox was coming as I stopped flying combat.
Did acquire 3 or 4 of the 6 bolts and what little I have been able to run them over the years indicates superior power to the G-21.
Had some kind of Enya square intake 2x B.B. .35 that I never had a chance to try and no clue where it went over the years.

Very very carefully done radiused corners and edges of crank port and polishing inside of crank to reduce stress risers and I never broke a crank in the G-21s.
Ran 9x6 power prop (Aldrich 9X6.5 was better) on Fox 40/40 (30%?).
Raised exhaust duration , Blended ports/passages on  crank, case, sleeve. Oil grooved(5+) piston.
Hand fit hand tapered sleeve/piston. Phenolic retainer rear bearings.

For me failure of case at back of rear bearing, the later ribbed case did not cure this.

I copied Dukes porting  idea for the Baldie .36  sleeve into a G-21 sleeve and ran it twice.
Both airplanes did come apart on first flight. Got to say that the airplanes were a 14oz experiment (using some of
 S. Buckstaffs ideas) and would not have lived long anyway. Engine seemed crazy fast.

Here are some fairly recent pics of Dads and my old combat engines. All ready to run except for NVA and plugs.
Have one of OLD Dads OLD ( LL~ )K&B GH .35  set up for combat and in fresh condition. no pic.

Whoops! Just realized that I have no clue what a O.S. 35 AX is. HB~> Amazing how the mind wanders. n~
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here