News:

• May 07, 2024, 04:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Flite Line Vampire back in "the day"  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
The Flite Line Vampire back in "the day"
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
The following post  is transcribed from a topic up above but appropriate here as well:

My brother-in-law and I flew VooDoos and Sneekers thru 1965, but changed to Riley's Vampire in 1966 and found them much quicker (no pun intended) in maneuvers than the VooDoo.  We did pretty well in midwestern competition during the latter 1960's, flying the Vampire with Fox .36xBB and later Super Tigre .35 Combat and G-21 .35 engines.  I finished 5th out of 73 contestants in the 1968 Olathe, Kansas Nationals with the Vampire/Super Tigre G-21 .35 combination.  Of course, Riley took the first place trophy that year and yes, he was flying a FLITE LINE Vampire with a Wootenized Fox .36xBB.  If anyone could ever take command of the combat circle when he stepped into it, it was Riley Wooten!    y1    D>K    H^^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:45:41 PM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Flite Line Vampire back in "the day"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:14 PM »
The Vampire could be a hard plane to build, trying to get that light cardboard glued down without warping the wing.  In our area we had several of them fail when the motor mount came loose on the dowel and burnt it enough from vibration that the plane came apart.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:44 AM »
Yeah, the Vampire was a first-generation foamie.  We had a lot to learn about the art of high power high speed foam planes.

Richard Wilkins got to right with the Superstar circa 1974.
Paul Smith

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
The Vampire was the result of two years of playing with foam construction and we have learned a lot since then. They flew good, but had to be built properly. If so they were tough. I built 6 that I used for 66, 67 and 68. Still had 5 and the 6th was repairable, but they were a long way from the next generation...... It just proved my old saying "you can't build a perfect kit unless you supply a builder in each box" so we did not keep it on the market very long.  I would have to say it was successful, if not profitable.  At 75 Nats Richard Wilkins wanted one of my Vampires so I traded for one of his planes, which I still have powered with a G21-15 ST.....It's great fun to fly but slows very bad in turns. 
RW

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
Mr. Wooten, I sent you a message.

Cliff

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
It just proved my old saying "you can't build a perfect kit unless you supply a builder in each box"

Heh.  That sparks memories of helping customers when I was working for my dad's company.  Roadster bodies have to be mounted on a straight and true frame if the doors are going to fit properly -- about 95% of our "your product is @#$%, the doors don't fit" calls ended up being because of a frame that was bent, twisted, diamond-shaped, or otherwise just plain wrong.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here