News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:29:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Satan  (Read 27417 times)

Offline Rich Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Satan
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:22:30 AM »
  I just acquired a set of plans and construction article for the Super satan.  I  always wondered what the history  of these airplanes was as far as the  lineage goes.  Having the 1/2 A and .15 size sold as kits by Goldberg.   Was the jr. ever a serious FAI model, or just marketed to the sport crowd? Also, was there ever a .36 size not super satan?  Or was this just the Voodoo?  The super is a cool plane, and I do plan to build one.  It would seem the design elements pushed performance forward, even though they are more complicated to build than what was seen previously.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Re: Super Satan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:27:10 AM »
I can tell you that the Super Satan went through development from roughly 1965-67. I witnessed Larry Scarinzi' flights back then  on the first iteration , a straight wing, and the second, a tapered trailing edge.  Both are for  .36 power and the later was published in Model Airplane News( cover shot, too) somewhere around 66-67. Date escapes me; I've got the original magazine somewhere.  Larry and Carl Goldberg collaborated and  initially had marketing plans which, unfortunately, did not come to fruition.
I built the  tapered version in 1967 but , unfortunately it had a very short life.
This is aircraft is an ultra- high performance ship and one need's to be on one's toes when flying it.
At the recent  GSCB Vintage Combat Fest, several were flown and displayed.
BTW,  Larry at 80+ years old,  can still handle one with ease.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:35:17 AM »
  Good stuff Frank, thanks for the info.   Could it be the thin wing that could bite you with the design, causing a snap?   I never knew, until reading some of Riley's posts here, as to how much Carl Goldberg was involved in combat.  I am always fascinated with the history of model designs and what the motivations were for the changes.  I am a designer myself, and there is no doubt that the current combat ships I fly had some influence by the Super Satan.  As I collaborated with an older Combat pilot, and he talked about how good the SS flew.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »
the Jr. satan was never taken too seriously here but it did follow much of the Euro design for diesel fai. Howard told me he won the nats fai once using the Jr. I recently built one because I wound up with a really cool TD .15

The SS was a pretty good flying wing back in the day. I beat my share with voodoo's to put it into perspective, but the ss was one of the better small ships. There is a laser short kit available that might save you some work.

Send pictures!

Ken

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
  I have Jr. plans on the way.  My dad gave me the Jr. kit for my Bday back in 78', but I do not know what happened to it.  I am sure he built it, but it never flew.  I have a Fox .15 BB I was thinking for it, but I am going to guess that will be kind of heavy.  These planes for sure are more for nostalgia than anything. Plus I want to experience them in flight.  This is really cool stuff. So glad I stumbled on this website, as all of you guys that experienced this stuff in the day are here to talk about it.  Nothing like first person accounts of history.  :)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
I'll add my two cents. There was not a plain .36 sized Satan. The Super Satan and the Voodoo are completely different airplanes. Attached are a couple of pictures of possible interest. The picture from the 2015 Vintage combat festival shows 3 different versions of the Super Satan. Larry is holding version 12 in his right hand and if I recall version 9 in his left. Andre is holding Version 12 which was the published version. I'm holding what Larry believes to be Version 5 (notice straight wing) with modifications from 1969. In my left hand is also version 12.
I'm also attaching original plan of version 12. If legible, notes on the original set of plans from 66 to Carl. Larry states items used and potential building techniques on test models and also test pilots. Hey, my pop made the cut!

Also of note, Larry flew my straight wing version on News Years day 2016 and ripped up the sky with it. We were running 10% in it so it was probably going 105-110mph.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:01:41 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
and
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
and
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
and
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
September 1967
AMA 13001

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:05:57 PM »
That is great stuff there!  Thanks a bunch.  I was going to try to track down that MAN issue.   

I love how the plan has notes to Carl that look to be recomendations for a kit.   So interesting how these things evolve, and the difference between what was an original design, or actually used in competition, and what was sold as a kit.   I saw where Riley mentioned the Voodoo kit was effected by the available box.  I have experienced just that. Boxes are expensive, and can blow any profit right out of the equation.

Thanks so much for the post and info.   I will definitely be building one now.

Oh, so the wing is just too thin to manage a bladder compartment it would seem.  I have used Pci's in the past, but trying to find them now may seem to be tricky.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
I'm lost....I mentioned voodoo but only in context of flying against the SS. They fo-sho are not the same in any respect, except the required engine.
When I was a kid, I wish I could have flown what Riley called a voodoo....the CG kit was a tamed version. Larry's SS was a step up in both performance and required building skills.
Have fun with the build, don't warp it and it'll do fine.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
Ken,
 my apologies if you think I was attacking your comment.  Read back the original post. Richard asked if there was a .36 sized Satan alas Goldberg or was the VooDoo the 36 sized Satan. LOL! I was more or less answering his question and giving him some of the lineage of the Super Satan.... Sorry for any confusion or am I confused? lol

I actually think looks wise if you put a voodoo style Stabilator on a lil Satan you have a lil voodoo, no?

I know you know your Vintage Combat! #^ #^

Tom
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:27:15 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 12:31:30 AM »
   Very interesting history on Larry Scarinzi's Super Satan. I first saw Larry flying one of these at the National Capital AAA contest at Andrews AFB, Maryland in 1966. I was 15 years old at the time and I will never forget the show that Larry put on when he went up for practice flights. EVERYONE around the combat circle stopped to watch! He was using the Fox 36X BB engine with the old Tornado 8X8 prop and the Fox Blast fuel. I remember him being pleasant to speak to. I did notice however, when he was flying in a match with a streamer the airplane would slow down considerably when doing constant maneuvers. From some past experience trying different props on my own airplanes ( I was flying James Mears "Raunchys" at that time ) I knew that I could blame the Tornado 8X8 prop on this. Still, I knew I had to come up with a design that could at least come close to what Mr. Scarinzi had. I went home and within a week or so I had drawn up the first "Toothpick". The second version of this design was published in the January 1971 issue of American Modeler magazine. My Dad flew the first ( and only ) flight on this first airplane in the Fall of 1966 ( his flying skills were much better than mine ) and he proceeded to fold the wing in half, but not before proving that I had and airplane that could compete with the Super Satan. I changed the leading edge material to a piece of 3/8" square spruce and the outboard wing stayed where it belonged after that. I also was using the Fox 36X BB engine with Missile Mist fuel but went with a Rev Up 9X6 1/2 prop. Top speed was close to 120 MPH, but it would maneuver better pulling a streamer.
    Later versions of the "Toothpick" in the mid 1970's when the new Fox MKIII's came out would go 127 MPH and change with 30% nitro fuel and a Top Flite 8 1/2 X 6 1/2 speed prop cut to 8 1/4". I quit building the wood planes and went to the foam wings like everyone else was doing at this time. You could build more planes quicker and they were easier to repair ( when the ground would fly up and hit them occasionally ).
    I did meet Mr. Scarinzi at the Toledo Show back in the 1990's but didn't have much time to speak with him. I think I let him know how much of an impression he left on a 15 year old kid at an airplane contest back in 1966. Glad to hear he is still flying.

Dick Tyndall

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 05:36:50 AM »
  I have used Pci's in the past, but trying to find them now may seem to be tricky.
[/quote]

Wal Mart has Gerber Pacifiers.

Save some for us.(lol)

The SS wing is plenty strong if built  as the plans indicate. The ply doubler must be a 5 ply laminate , not light ply. The pacifier pod actually adds torsional rigidity  spread over a wide area.

As far as your needs for accommodating a pen bladder, couldn't help you there.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 06:44:11 AM »
Dick,
  Cool story about your toothpick design and its inspiration. I am familiar with it and when I first saw it,  I wondered if it was influenced by the SS. I recently came across toothpick plans and am considering building one for this years vintage festival.

Thanks
Tom 
AMA 13001

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
Dick, good hearing from you. When high aspect ratio wings were the rage, I remember a number of guys switching to your Toothpick after having bad experiences with the Winder kit. If built as per the kit plans, the Winder would blow off the outboard wing after a few flights (a LE plywood doubler across the center section fixed this).

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
I loved the Toothpick.....I only flew one but it did everything I asked it to. I had stopped flying combat and was starting speed when Bruce Tunberg (60's record holder) told me there was a combat cash contest and did I want to use his Toothpick. I used it to go through the entire sinle elim fast meet. For the final match, I flew Jeff Rein who tells the story better. He had never flown me before and he was nervous to begin with.  The Toothpick was superb and to shake Jeff, I put in an entire additional 180 deg wiggle pulling out inverted but going up at 30 deg or so. He had never seen that and stuck his wing while watching the Toothpick fly off. The engine was a st .35 with a front intake 29 crank retimed and a tiny prop.........really fast for back then. I won 50 bucks and a bottle of wine that Bruce drank......we was on a roll!

All oh my Winders shed the wings too.

K

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
   I am a new member here on this website and have been away from the airplanes for a lot of years. It has been most interesting seeing familiar names on here and catching up on what's going on today. Catching up with old friends from my airplane days has sparked an interest in me wanting to build some airplanes again. The vintage combat get together in the northeast was most interesting to see. I would love to build a couple of "Toothpicks" and attend that meet just to see some of the old airplanes fly again and catch up with people I haven't seen for years. I recently met up with Phil Spillman at a swap meet a few months ago. I had not seen Phil for probably 50 years! I thought he looked familiar. It's a lot of fun to talk about the old days over a nice lunch.
   Getting back to the "Toothpick", Dumas was going to kit this just after it was published in the magazine but they wanted to change the way the engine mount was made. I used a solid piece of maple instead of the usual 2 pieces of maple between a block of balsa. I didn't want this changed because this helped keep the front of the airplane more intact in the event of a crash. Dumas said "thanks, but no thanks" and kitted the "Spectrum" instead. I'm still kicking myself today after saying that to them. Nice to hear that somebody other than some of the locals around here built some of the "Toothpicks". Never knew that.
    Always nice to hear about other people's history in this hobby. I look forward to seeing something new here when I'm online.

Dick Tyndall

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance here but Dick Tyndall are you the guy who made the double bubble heads for Fox combat engines?

I have never seen a "toothpick" can some one post photos

Just fueling my nostalgia combat plane fettish

Would love to find info on a plane I saw  Bob Carver fly at Bladder grabber.... dreamsicl, creamsickle something like that...beautiful wing design

been side tracked lately with getting a Ring Master ready for father son (dad has passed) re-live of 1959 with a Fox 35 powered S-1

have very many new old stock combat kits to copy and semi scratch build and really need to get off butt and cover the Mongoose/Demon(s), and start a few others....raunchy, nemesis, big iron...etc

I scratch built a 1/2a Big Otto to learn some faux silk covering methods from Ken B and Bob M

Larry S Supper Satan is also planned to be in my "hanger"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:28:29 AM by Fredvon4 »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
Carver had a real fleet of Gene Pape built, then Will Namura built Rotation Stations. They were beautiful and covered with translucent super mono cote. Perfection.
Then, in the 80's Norm McFadden designed his 'Cream sickle" it dominated all of us for sometime. Bob had another fleet built and by Norm's youngest son Jimmy. It paid for a lot of books and all at the U.W. because he didn't work for free.......they were amazingly beautiful.
Bob Carvers inspirations did much for fast combat.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Someone sent this to me today.      http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5342

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
Rich

Thank you sir

Crap...more plans and kits than I have years left to model and fly/display

at least Dharma silk is cheaper than polyspan.... BSEG

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
hey Fred....how is your silk shrinking? I have difficulties with the Dharma stuff.

K

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »
I have never used actual silk, just silkspan, which I never plan to use again for an open structure.  I am just not nice enough to the stuff!   But, and I know some will say it is not traditional, or maybe heavy, but I use the lightweight dacron now for all of my open structures.  Goes on with heat, and shrinkable.  I use Sig Stix it to hold it down and seal it with dope.  I guess it is just like Sig Koverall.  Not needing to chase the last bit of performance out of these models now, it is a good option.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
I screwed up the first bottom of a wing...using the white 5 mm stuff had the weave wrong direction... it is on their site that 1% shrink width wise and 8% length wise....made a pretzel of a Big Otto 1/2a bottom

I use thinned Nitrate base three or more coats on the balsa then thinned Butyrate non tautening (Randolf) to stick down the silk

Once I saw (mag glass) direction of the weave and oriented span wise (after I removed the bottom and started over) was a bit loose. Hit it with heat gun thinking still not dry...no joy...Used Randolph tautening on entire wing and in two days was drum tight and no induced warp...well that my old eyes can see.....grin

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
Going out now to get some flights on a couple of combat models, the Nimbus and moder 1/2 A Super Attitudinal.  We have 70 degree temps here today!

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
   Man, you guys have really made my day! Other than some of the local guys that I flew with I had no idea that anyone else built any Toothpicks. The picture with the plans in a previous post ( it was in the magazine article ) was taken in September 1969 at the Maryland State Championships AAA contest. I won Open Fast Combat that day and I still have the trophy. It would be cool to build a replica of the plane in the picture and recreate the picture with a much older me holding it.
    And yes, I made a lot of double bubble head inserts back in the 1980's for the Fox MKIII's and MKIV's. My hobby business, Virginia Craftsman has been going since 1982. Today I race R/C boats ( gas and nitro ) and make turn fins for hydroplanes and mono hull boats.
    The vintage combat meets looks like they would be a lot of fun. I'll have to build some airplanes and give that a go. Nothing like a bunch of old guys hanging around telling each other how good they were..............

Dick Tyndall

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »

Offline john knoppi

• New Pilot
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
When i was a kid i wanted to build a SS but never did, just in the last year and a half i picked up a laser kit SS, plan on building it sometime,the jr satan my dad and i built two of them one with a G-15 but with the fai nemisis boom and elevator and also added another rib to each side, and the one i did was the same except i used a David anderson diesel thinking about building another one as i have a kit for it

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Super Satan-Lazer cut short kit
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 06:25:22 AM »
Lazer Works has a parts package for the SS 16.70
*A parts package includes the formers, ribs, and anything on the plans that would have to be cut to a certain shape.
http://lazer-works.com/misc.html
Check out their site. They have a good number of C/L designs listed
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
yes, by all means get the short kit. You will need to purchase a set of plans if you don't already have them. This is a VERY worthwhile way of going about the SS

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
Curious if anyone out there  has used the Lazerworks Super Satan short kit and how it stacks up ; accuracy wise.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
Frank,
 My Yellow one is a Lazerworks short kit. It is dead nuts accurate! Matches perfectly with my templates from 1966. /DV

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
Good to know.
THX

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
That is nice to know the kits are good.  Some of these laser kit companies can be a bit shady.  Should be able to make short work of one of these with all of those parts ready to go.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
the "short kit" does not have all parts, but is complete for the parts you need to cut out accurately....booms, ply brace, ribs.
I think a really cool idea (if you have one) is to put a hot .15 in it. The smaller size lends itself to the lighter engine and .015 lines. My plan is to put my Nelson .15 in mine, or maybe an F2D engine.

K

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »
That is nice to know the kits are good.  Some of these laser kit companies can be a bit shady.  Should be able to make short work of one of these with all of those parts ready to go.

In my experience you can't go wrong with Lazerworks.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »
In my experience you can't go wrong with Lazerworks.

Well, that is all you need really.  The ribs would have been the point of contention I believe.

I think I will just throw a Fox .36 on mine for nostalgic reasons, plus the hottest .15 I have is a Fox .15 BB.    I never plan to fly this in combat.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

Well, that is all you need really.  The ribs would have been the point of contention I believe.

I think I will just throw a Fox .36 on mine for nostalgic reasons, plus the hottest .15 I have is a Fox .15 BB.    I never plan to fly this in combat.
Rich :
Speaking for myself(although I know there are others out there who feel the same),I no longer desire to combat match using any of   my vintage combat aircraft.
After years of combat wars;  I'm now into preservation. Vintage combat ships, when   faithfully constructed and in the original  finish of the era (silk and dope, etc.) , are some of the most beautiful  designs of all model aircraft, ever.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »
Where is a good source for silk? 

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 08:54:31 PM »
Rich,

go through this thread. In it, is my recent finished Blitz where I went through my Silk acquisition and Dying procedure
http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/september-20th-middlesexgscb-vintage-combat-fun-fly/
AMA 13001

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
here ya go Rich.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/

buy the 5mm stuff and if you cannot navigate it, they are very helpful on the phone. They sell dye and it works well. The silk will not shrink the same as the old Esaki stuff we used to use, but it is stronger. It will shrink 1% in the width and 8% in the length so be sure you get the grain running span wise. Since I don't seem to have the skills of some, I use tautening nitrate, covered with Butyrate. If I trim in paint, I use rustoleum and top coat with min-wax poly urethane.
Lots and lots of stinky work, but as was stated, it makes a very nice product that will niggle it's way into your nostalgia.

Ken 

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
Rich,

go through this thread. In it, is my recent finished Blitz where I went through my Silk acquisition and Dying procedure
http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/september-20th-middlesexgscb-vintage-combat-fun-fly/

Fun to re-watch the video.   Octogenarian Larry 
Scarinzi  flies the  Satan @ the 3 minute mark.
 Amazin'
Where do I sign up ?

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
BTW, after reading this post I've ordered SS short kit. Thanks for the info!

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
Bobby,
if you don't already have the plans....here ya go!

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/manreal/super_satan_03.jpg

ken

ps really nice parts in the kit.

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:19 AM »
Thanks Ken!
Bobby,
if you don't already have the plans....here ya go!

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/manreal/super_satan_03.jpg

ken

ps really nice parts in the kit.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
Since we're talking Super Satan, this seems like a good time to share an experience I had with Duke and Larry at the '72 Glenview Nats. I attended the Nats in '72 as an unofficial* "representative" of Fox Mfg. That is, I would offer assistance to combat contestants using Fox products in the form of parts, engine work, pit assistance needed, whatever. I also did demo-flights of a Fox 36 Sport powered Demon to demonstate the abilities of the new, lightweight 36 Sport engine that Duke had released. (I think the Demon and the 36 Sport weighed in at less than 15 oz.)

(* Unofficial in the I was expected to be there but wasn't paid to be there!!!)

Anyway, one of the evenings early in the week was reserved for some test flying of some 36X engine mods. Duke, myself, and Larry Scarinzi were going to be the ones involved in doing this. I think I recall that we used three watches. (Larry would time himself from the inside of the circle and Duke and I from outside and we'd compare the times.)

Now, I must confess that at that time in my life (cocky, thought I had the combat world by the tail) I viewed the Super Satan as "obsolete" compared to the current crop of combat airplanes being flown. (Nemesis, Tyrantuala 2, etc.) After all, that Super Satan article came out in, what, 1967?  This was 1972, time marches on. Therefore, I was interested in seeing one fly... but didn't expect a whole lot.

We we three arrived at our makeshift flying field off to the side of the official flying circles. As Duke and I unloaded our stuff from the vehicle, Larry began to retrieve his squadron of Super Satan's.

They were immaculate. If you've never seen a Larry Scarinzi model, you can't imagine how well they are fitted and how beautifully they are finished... and we're talking COMBAT planes! That's just the way Larry is: He builds and finishes them to perfection.

We put the first engine on one of Larry's original Super Satan's, Larry and I fired it off, and with me holding, Larry went out to the handle. Controls checked the signal was given to let'er go... which I did.

MY GOD!!

That thing accelerated and within a half lap it was COOKIN'! I mean SIZZLIN' COOKIN'! I had seen quite a few combat planes fly up to that point, but NEVER one this fast! I had to mentally snap back to the business at hand as Larry flew flat and level during the timing runs. It was indeed movin'... and according to our watches was screaming along comfortably over 120 MPH.

"Wow... it's fast", I thought, "...but with that thin airfoil it ain't gonna' turn worth a flip".

Still flying flat and level, Larry stopped his watch, looked down at it, stuck it in his pocket, and then he pulled the handle...

I'm serious: This thing turned a radius that was truly impressive, and Larry tore the air up with it. As he did, it never sagged, lost speed (that could be seen or heard), and stayed steady as a rock on the end of the lines as he put on an incredible show of flying skill. (Larry was indeed a VERY good flier, and still is!)

Very impressive indeed, and eye opening to me. (Don't believe bench fliers.)

Within minutes there were combat fliers (some of them looked to be in the Senior Class) literally running over to the circle and asking "What the heck was THAT???"

It was with no small amount of pride that I would tell them, "why, it's a Fox36X BB powered Super Satan".  (We caused no small stir as we continued our test session as combat fliers, and others, would come up and ask questions/etc.)

However, I digress. The impressive "first flight" finished, it was time to get back to work. As the session progressed, we went through many, many engine swaps/different planes/etc. Long story short: Though the times were impressive, they weren't impressive enough. This was essentially the test session that convinced Duke that he likely needed a major redesign in order to catch Super Tigre. But that's another story.

Toward the end of the session, I was doing something (checking props/engine mount screws/whatever) and Larry asked me "you want to fly it and see what you think?".

Trying to hide my surprise, I said "Sure."

Now this was too cool. I was going to get to fly one of the original (if not THE original, I can't recall) Super Satan prototypes.

We stuffed it full of fuel, lit it off, and I sprinted to the handle. (I was young... sprinting was nothing then!)

"Just wait 'til I wow this crowd with MY flying skills with this thing!" I thought to myself.

Bear in mind, that for the past several flights, I had been flying a much lesser performing engine/plane combination that was very stable (a Demon is a very stable combat plane), and doesn't possess a lot of "snap" (i.e. lightening quick response) to it. Further, I had not be doing a lot of flying that summer, what being busy with work and other things. (In other words, I was very "rusty" in my flying.) But never mind that, it was "SHOWTIME!".

Picking up the handle, I checked the controls... they're good... then the signal to let'er go...

The Satan lept into the air, and I kid you not, it was a good quarter lap ahead of me before I finally caught up to it. My God this thing was FAST!.  Catching up to it, I made a couple/three level laps and settled down. Okay... it was time to put on the show.

I brought it around and prepared to snap it into what was to be a figure eight, and then from there I was simply going to reflex/free style fly it. Now, pull the trigger and...

OMG!!!  That thing turned so fast it was headed straight for the ground... I yanked down and it snapped back up and started over my head...

What followed was a few frantic seconds of trying to catch up to an airplane that was so far above my then-current abilities it was embarassing. My thought was "oh my God... I'm going to crash one of Larry's planes."

I finally managed to catch up to it, and so shaken was I by this unsettling experience, I leveled out and flew the remaining tank dry.

Mercifully, I glided it in and landed it safely.

How humbling that had been.

Yes, I wish I could have "do-overs" a few months later after I was determined to sharpen up and regain my previous skills as well as make further progress in my flying skills. (Which I did.)

But that night... it was all I could do to hang on to one of Larry's Super Satan's.

As the article said, it was almost like "lightening on a leash"!!!

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
Great story Andre! I was with Larry today and of course we talked Super Satan and its evolution. As you know this is my favorite. There is just something about it!

Again very entertaining story!

Tom
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here