News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Satan  (Read 27375 times)

Offline Rich Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Super Satan
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
Got the maiden flight on the SS today.  Flies good.  Needs to be trimmed some, as it does not turn as much as I would like.  Move CG aft and possibly increase elevator travel.

Interesting to compare a modern 1/2 A design's size  to the SS.  Things have certainly changed since the mid 60's.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
more

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:20 AM »
How come I can't get some one that pretty to hold my planes?? :)  Glad to hear the SS is working.  The little foamy looks like an awful lot of engine off set. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
How come I can't get some one that pretty to hold my planes?? :)  Glad to hear the SS is working.  The little foamy looks like an awful lot of engine off set. H^^

I'll hold 'em for ya doc!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
I love the Captain Spaulding shirt.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
We are big fans of that genre of movie.   Tried to get the lovely April flying my little Akromaster, but she got dizzy.  She was a real trooper launching the SS.  The noise does kind of scare her.

I may mess with removing some side thrust from the Super Attitudinals, but they are working very well right now.

Good day, the combat gods sent a Fox .36 X from the heavens.  So I bolted it up and it fits perfectly.  The balance is better, and the all up weight is 18.2 oz. ready to fly with prop.  Is that a good weight?  It would seem to be OK, especially for all of the colored dope I used!  Maybe it was the airbrush that helped to keep the weight down?  Anyway, I think I will have a better flying plane now regardless.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »
Rich,
 18.2 is pretty good. That's about where mine were. they gained a little weight. Larry's are super light in the 15-16.5 range. He could really build light and his planes are gorgeous.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »
This thread got me to order two "Parts packs" from lazer works and the plans from Barry Baxter and yesterday both arrived

I must say to date this is the best done and Cheapest short kit and plans I have acquired.

I am much impressed with the quality and high (46) parts count of each "Parts pack" (AKA short kit) for a mere $16.70 per kit

Looks like all needed is a LE, TE, and one spar wood...Not sure cuz just a quick glance on the plans but I think Sig MFGs pre-shaped LE stock will work with a little adapting/sanding

Too many builds ahead of it so will be a while before I get to these...

I am not really looking forward to making the TE alignment shims as small and precise as it looks like they need to be

But I do have a needle bearing Fox 36 with BG innerds for one of them
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »
Fred,
I got my leading edge and spars from Sig. I bought extra so I could select the straightest one.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
I used straight square stock for my LE.   I drew a center line down the length for reference, and used my trusty low angle block plane to shape it. Finished with course paper in a block.  Made short work of it, and allowed me to select very good balsa for this critical item.

The other wood you need is 1/16th for the sheeting.  Over the bladder compartment and center of wing to tips.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »

So the weight thing got me curious. And, seeing as I now have one of those hi-tech digital scales, I drug out my Super Satan and weighed it. As for particulars: I used translucent Monokote on the wings, and many coats of clear dope followed by yellow dope on the nose/tail booms/stab. It's powered by a 36X NB with an APC prop. I weighed it with a pacifier tank inside the pod.

Super Satan: 17.55 oz.

I then weighed my 36X NB powered Demon, same criteria as above except a pen bladder-type tank installed in the tube.

Demon: 16.9 oz.

Lastly, weighed my combat cat: 18.1 oz.

I recall routinely ending up with 16 oz ready to fly Demons back in my silk n' dope days... but back in those days I could shop and be more selective about the wood. Given the dismal hobby shop presence (lack of) in my region, I no longer have that luxury.

So... I realize this post contains is very weighty subject... but it's in keeping with some of the things that's been discussed!

All fer now.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »
Forgot to mention that included in the weights on both the Demon and Super Satan is the fact that they both have about 3/8ths ounces of lead on the their tail booms to bring the C/G back for better turning.

All fer now!

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
Andre,
  They are both  great weights. Mine pictured originally was, if I recall, 18.2oz. After being stuffed twice she has gained a few..... Originally, I came in a little heavy for two reasons. 1. I used 8mm silk, now I know better to go with 4.5 or 5mm. 2. I urethaned the whole plane. Next one will just be urethane center section. This one is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking new build over the winter.

I'm posting this because I just bolted on my newly refurbished LS Tuned 36xBB for next weeks Vintage combat festival. We are cranking up the Nitro this year!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
"I'm posting this because I just bolted on my newly refurbished LS Tuned 36xBB for next weeks Vintage combat festival. We are cranking up the Nitro this year!"

Yo, Tommy... go get 'im!!

Andre Mingliano

(Sigh. I'll be with you guys in spirit, if not presence.  :'(  )

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
I flew with Dick while I was in the Air Force. We were both competing for places on the USAF Model Airplane Team. Flew several Toothpicks. Good to see him still alive and well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here