News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Satan tops 120mph  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Super Satan tops 120mph
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Finally got to fly the Satan this past weekend and it was fast!  Just the way I remembered it when Larry was developing it back in the 60s.  The Fox 36X BB powered the Satan to 122mph which confirms Larry Scarinzi's claims of superior speed. The legend lives on!  VD~
Al

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Satan tops 120mph
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
Now if you would have had a Nelson on there. LL~ LL~  It is amazing how fast the combat wings were.  I remember the first time I hit 115 mph pulling a streamer.   Mucho younger then and had trouble staying up with it.

I can still remember a NATS in  which they held combat speed event.   Of course they didn't fly that fast in a match. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
          Al, I wish I could've seen that. Shawn and I had the Demon out again 2 weeks ago. Roy flew with us for some practice matches as well. We went with a 8 x 8 older wood Top Flite. I have to say it was certainly moving out. Roy was quite impressed. What nitro were you using? I recall you said those engine have a tendency to blow the cranks up. Ken

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »
120 on 015 lines?  I hope.  Very good.

Years ago I put the first TWA 35 on VooDoo.  Went 135 mph without even trying.  8/8 prop and 10% nitro.  13.2+ seconds for 7 laps.  The first loop was 90 deg.  Then it slowed down enough that I could do normal maneuvers.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
It SHOULD be .018".  Most of us had volutarily gone up to 18's long before AMA caught up.  We got tired (real fast) of losing planes just on practice flights.

Paul Smith

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:41 AM »
Perhaps Al was just trying to replicate Larry's test flights.  I witnessed many of them from 1965-67. The first Super Satans were straight wings; the last version(#6 or 7 ) were tapered. Back then, .015 was legal. The line rules changed in 1971 because of too  many line cuts, not because a model of this type can break 7 strand cable . If this model were flown competitively; .018 would be a must- but this was not the case during a couple of test hops.

So, no harm, no foul.

BTW, Larry never built another S.S. after the .018 rule change. When I designed my Scrambler in 1971, Larry advised that I shift the lines forward slightly to offset the then "new" 1971 rule change to .018.

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
Did Al say .015?

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:06 AM »
Don't know if Al said .015. The only number I heard was 120mph!!! That sounds pretty sweet to me!

-Chris

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
                  Does Larry's original Super Satan still exist? Ken

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
Here are the details of the test flight: lines .015 which were actually long at 61 1/2 , Prop APC 8x8, I wanted to use the yellow tornado 8x8 that I have from the 60s but was afraid it would throw the blades. Engine  1967 vintage Fox 36xBB, looped scavenged, crank closing timing set to 59 degrees and polished, no head gaskets.  Fuel  S&W 40% nitro, 20% oil.  On the ground the engine turned the 8x8 prop 16,000rpms which was about 1000 more than 10% nitro.  The flying weight was 19oz.  It took about 8 test flights to get the model up to speed.  The needle had to be set on the rich side on the ground and the engine would unload in the air.  On my first attempts I discovered a very slight pin hole in the bladder and couldn't reach top speed until I replaced the bladder. It was cool for me to replicate the sight and sound of the 60s Super Satan.  Larry was my childhood idol and he says he still has the original Satans. y1
Al
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:37:02 PM by Al Ferraro »

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
             Pretty cool Al I hope i get to see it fly sometime. Ken

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
                  Does Larry's original Super Satan still exist? Ken

Around 25 years ago, I visited Larry Scarinzi and saw his basement. It was like a time warp. At that time, he still owned a bicycle shop, and wasn't actively modeling. The basement looked like a time warp back to 1971. There were boxes of 36x engine parts and boxes of other engine parts. It was quite an experience.

There were about 30 combat aircraft hanging up down there, a few of everything combat that Larry had designed. The original Blue Angel was hanging there, along with Dawn Cosmillo's nats winning Nobler.

Since that time, he has acquired a lot more stuff.

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
Finally got to fly the Satan this past weekend and it was fast!  Just the way I remembered it when Larry was developing it back in the 60s.  The Fox 36X BB powered the Satan to 122mph which confirms Larry Scarinzi's claims of superior speed. The legend lives on!  VD~
Al

One thing about legends. Sometimes they are filled with half truths.    ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:10:42 PM by Dan Bregar »
AMA 33676

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
Yes, Larry is a legend and is still living, thank GOD.  I have watched him at the VSC fly his little combat planes at high speed.  How he keeps up with them has to be practice.  Anymore I am doing good to stay up with my stunt planes.   One reason I am flying combat planes from the past that I couldn't afford back then as a kid.   90+ mph is really moving in  my book. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:13:45 AM »

One thing about legends. Sometimes they are filled with half truths.    ;)

Please enlighten me!
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
I too would like to know, as Larry was one of the first of my heroes that talked to me at my very first nationals in 64.   Don't know if he remembers the Navy MP dropping his night stick/billy club.   Nic little hole in the surface of the floor.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
OK I'll bite.  My comment was not aimed at the fact that some old time control line flyers consider Larry a legend.  If that's how they feel then so be it.  I have no argument.  But my comment referred to the old 120 mph combat airplane legend of the 1960's. I was a very active combat flyer in the sixties and early 70's and flew in 30 or more contests around the country and never saw a combat airplane do 120 mph at any contest I ever attended.  I usually had the fastest airplane at any contest I flew in during that time period.  In the late 60's my relationship with the  World Champ speed flyer Carl Dodge gave me certain advantages when it came to building combat engines that were exceptional. My strongest Dodge built engine would go 116 mph on our foam combat ships.  And this was in contest trim, no extra thin wing and flying just as it did in combat matches.  Now is my commentary saying that Larry never did 120 mph with a combat plane ?  No, just like Messerschmidt went 469 mph in 1939 to amaze the aviation world, this happened with a very, very special airframe and engine that could only run a short time, before it was damaged.  But the Germans wanted the world to think that this was their souped up ME-109.  Far from the truth.  And Duke Fox wanted all us stupid combat flyers to think if we flew Fox 36BB Combat Specials that we could go 120MPH. Not true at all.  Larry helped perpetuate this myth as Duke supplied him with many engines and spare parts. I'm sure Larry would tell you he wasn't really "an engine man".  He was back in the day, "an airplane man". His success came from having mass quantities of Foxes from Duke to make enough engines so he could find one that would run on Blast fuel for a few minutes before it exploded.  Now Take a minute to figure out the pitch speed of an 8X8 prop with 100% efficiency at 17,000 RPM.  This is over 120mph, only trouble is there is no prop ever made that will give much more than 90% efficiency.  The props we used in the day were probably less than 90% efficient. Now attach a streamer. Then take into account the drag of the lines and airplane and 120mph goes away real fast. So what am I saying ?  Larry might have done it, and I do have some doubts, but if he did, it was like Messerschmidt with a very special engine and airframe that would not do very well on the contest circuit cause pit men are not very good at replacing connecting rods and crankshafts during a pit stop. Was Larry a smart and talented Guy ?  He certainly was and is.  But this 120mph combat ship stuff was baloney, until the Nelson 36 made the scene. :-X
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:44:14 AM by Dan Bregar »
AMA 33676

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
Larry reworked Fox .36x's and sold them.

His reworks were noticeable faster than a Fox .36x.

You evidently don't know much about Larry Scarinzi.
De Hill

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
 The claim  of 120MPH  + is  completely legitimate.
Weather permitting, on summer Thursday  evenings , the Union Model Airplane Club met and typically  there were  5 circles flying. Larry and several of us would go to the furthest away circle . It was 1966 and 1967.He was conducting  development/ testing of the Super Satan  design  for Carl Goldberg and  his LS Tuned Fox 36xBB line of  custom tuned engines for retail.

We timed from outside the circle during flights (sans streamer) and he  would   always time himself as well.  Real 120MPH + flights occured.
 Larry had " graduated" from Fox Blast. A club member and pharmacist , Al Needleman, mixed his fuel for a long while. Binky pacifier, small hub Tornado Yellow 8X8( boiled & balanced), prop hub and drive washer modified to prevent blade toss.  There were  more LS tricks to achieve speed, but I was only a teen and most of us weren't privy to that info.

Engines were custom re-worked by Larry- I still have a  few . (Someday I'll sell them since I primarily  fly electric now since returning to Ukie).
I built and flew a Super Satan in 1967. It was ridiculously fast . So much so that it was too much to comfortably compete with. Larry twanged my Satan one evening and that was my one and only.
I used Voodoos , some stock, some modified with longer booms and scratch built some to save weight. Won Senior combat in '69 with a Voodoo and an LS Tuned Fox 36xBB. Also liked Sneekers and Demons.All were great designs ,but not terribly fast.

Another club member at that time, Mike Luciano, built a number of Satans and achieved nearly similar results.

I have no reason to make any of this up. Larry knew  his engines and custom reworked motors for many, many people .

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »
120mph in 70s? Hummmm.....I liked to make sure they would turn with out slowing and never worried about top speed for combat.
Having said that, recently used and old combat cat wing only to build a beat around toy AMA combat.
Timed 3rd flight.
Fox .36CBS(1975) on 5% superfuel and 9X6 Rev-up
60x.018s
116mph slightly rich.
This all done with old stuff from 1975 or before. Fuel and bladder were new.
The Aldrich 9x6.5 props were faster and seemed to turn as good as the rev-ups.

I have 3-4 runs on 10% so now for the Fox purple stuff.....have a gallon for each hand!!!

120mph with no streamer should have been easy back then.
David Roland

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
In the early 1960's when the ST C35 and G21.35 came out it was possible to break 120 MPH with a kit Voodoo and a bit of engine work and hot gas.  However, the .015" line broke regularly a too many planes got away.  Many flyers went to 018 voluntarily until AMA stepped up and changed the rule.

It became difficult to break 100 MPH with the bigger lines.  At the 1977 Nats Riverside Mr. Duke Fox gave out protoytype Fox Combat Mark III's to many of the better flyers.  115 MPH was immediately attained with models that went 98 with a G21.  Mr. Fox single-handedly resurrected the Fast Combat event that was dying for the lack of engines. 

Prior to the Mark III, competitive high speed was only available to machinist-modelers who could make their own engines.  The Mark III sold 120 MPH to anybody willing to pay $60.
Paul Smith

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
A club member and pharmacist , Al Needleman, mixed his fuel for a long while.

While my favorite name remains Richard "Dick" Trickle (stock car legend of note), I must admit that for someone involved in model aircraft the name Al Needleman is pretty cool.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
I saw a Super Satan demo at a Nats.   I remember it as involving a lot of arm and lines that I wanted to measure. 

Larry has become one of my heroes, too.  He is one of a handful of guys like Bob Hunt and Ed Southwick who are (or were) as excited and enthusiastic about model airplanes as geezers as we were as kids.  Larry hangs out at combat at the Nats and brings an F2D model to fly.  Sitting on the sidelines, he's an old guy with dumb jokes and a plaid shirt.  When he picks up the handle, 40 years go away and he's Larry Scarinzi. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »
And he makes it look so easy to fly those fast things.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
I saw a Super Satan demo at a Nats.   I remember it as involving a lot of arm and lines that I wanted to measure.  

Larry has become one of my heroes, too.  He is one of a handful of guys like Bob Hunt and Ed Southwick who are (or were) as excited and enthusiastic about model airplanes as geezers as we were as kids.  Larry hangs out at combat at the Nats and brings an F2D model to fly.  Sitting on the sidelines, he's an old guy with dumb jokes and a plaid shirt.  When he picks up the handle, 40 years go away and he's Larry Scarinzi.  

Howard,
That's him, alright.  To a "t".
 Somewhere, I have an old, color snapshot of you and Larry haming it up at the 71 or 72 Glenview NATS.
Frank

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
I have built a Blitz, I have orderd a Super Satan and will build it as well. I have been given a Fox 36x BB that was fit and is stock.
I am going to have Norm McFaden set the head and set the timing to Larry's article from 1964. I have the original formula for Blast from Fox.
Until today, I had no idea abount this thread, but have wondered the same thing about the 120+ mph speeds claimed by these prone to blow engines. I agree with Dan that Larry likely did 120, but as Howard pointed out, there was some arm involved. I'll attempt to write it up for Flying Lines and use speed ship flying heigth when tests are run.

This is by no means an end all, I'm just curious like everyone else. larry is one of the "color men" in combat and will always be that.

Ken

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
Since I was very involved in combat and Nats competition in this era (1956 through 68) except east coast Nats, which I was never able to attend I feel I must add my 2 cents. I don't want to step on any ones toes but my observations are as follows from the contest I attended.  Rigged for combat with no streamer there were NO 120 mph planes.  I did clock planes faster than 120 but they were way too high and had arm involved.  During the 66 - 68 period using Fox CS single ball bearing engines on Vampires with 25% nitro I ran an even 116 +/- 2 mph (no streamer). I consider Larry a good friend, but he only flew at one Nats that I attended.  At that meet he flew James Mears and he did win the match. James was all over him and had way more speed but Larry may have been a little lean.  To be honest, the problem more often than not was having too much speed which makes timing much harder.  It's always a lot more fun to fly the really good flyers.........
RW

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
Hi Riley!
Yah, I  am in agreement with you re the 120 mph stuff. The project will be fun to reproduce in any event.

I'm laughing because of what you said. I was at Top Gun one year and G Cleaveland was using an F2D model about 400 sq's with a Nelson on 60% nitro. Well.....you could hardly see the thing go by. They honked the horn and here he comes. I dunno, 2, maybe three hundred miles an hour. He was cackling like he sometimes did I just stayed dead level with my Nelson and a check-o plane. Just about the right time I hit the full down then up and didn't even have to look. I heard *Sh.t!* as he went by with no streamer. ....going 2 or three hundred miles an hour...:)

Ken

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
I'm no Combat flyer (never was, except for one disastrous attempt in Illinois, c.1962) -- but must say that any opinion offered by Riley Wooten should be taken as Gospel.  He is arguably (?) the best Combat flyer of all times.

(Not to mention that he's also a hell of a nice guy, too.)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
This is a little off course but in the mid 1950's the guys I flew with did profile races and I used a stunt Fox 35 on a Ringmaster Junior. These models did 100-105 mph. I later used a K&B 32 and it went a little faster. We sometimes did combat with them but they were very limited in turning ability. We shortened the tail so it was one inch behind the wing and it turned a little better. The point of all this is these little racing planes seemed faster to me than my combat models at that time which used stronger motors. At a contest in Scranton Pennsylvania  around 1957 I used up all my combat models and used the little Ringmaster and it was faster than all the combat models that day. Several of my friends flew a lot of combat all over NYS and Pennsylvania and 100 mph with a streamer was not easy to do.
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
In practice at a 1974 contest I watched a friend time a Winder/Spectrum derivative ST G21-35 .018 lines 40% nitro TF wood pylon prop of who knows what pitch post a 118 mph speed

I was 14 at the time and thought that was the coolest thing there was

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 06:51:46 PM »
Larry always   designed and built some of the very lightest, straightest and most interesting  models to be found anywhere in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Some designs  exceeded 120MPH and  from my vantage point, they weren't arm whipped.
Larry really didn't compete much after the mid  60s.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
Riley's point about flying high is a good one.  Once the plane gets above about 15 ft. the apparent speed goes up pretty fast.  I've seen plenty of 120 mph claims that came from flying at 20 ft or better.  I'm sure Al got a decent low level flight and an honest time on this one.  Back in the 60's and 70's there were plenty of combat flyers and many of them couldn't fly the plane low enough to get a realistic time on it.  Just way too touchy.
phil Cartier

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
Phil

I'm with you and Uncle Riley ! 
AMA 33676

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
With no disrespect to the many accomplished combat flyers commenting on this post.
  Al's opening post claims of 122 mph. Everyone is forgetting that! Phil also commented that most likely Al stayed at a reasonable height and probably got a good time.

Since my return to control line I have built a Super Satan. I have yet to fly it. However, I will get out in the next month or so and fly it. I will fly it on 58' 015 lines eyelet to eyelet. That will put me pretty damn close to 60' center of plane to center of handle. No comments on 015 as they are more then adequate for flying a 18.5oz plane regardless of speed. A combat match is a different story. I will use a out of the box .36xbb. Then I will bolt on my fathers 36xbb that was claimed to exceed 120+ speeds. This particular engine is stock and lapped per Blitz article. I will have this video taped starting from line measuring to a level flight timed with stopwatch in view. I will post a link to YouTube for everyone to see. I have no idea of the outcome as I stated the plane has not been flown and I'm not sure if it will even stay together! Lol

I find one thing disturbing. I have had many conversations with Larry in the past few years. There is one thing I know for sure. When you mention the Super Satan, Larry lights up! He claims it to be one of his proudest accomplishment. I think that wouldn't be the case if it was based on lies!

Dan and Howard's comments on Larry's personality are spot on with Howard's flying comments spot on as we'll.

Question: how much speed can you actually gain, whipping a plane as light as 17oz.,60' away, traveling 120mph, when  you're already spinning like a top, add in your now fully extended arm to actually try and get said whip?
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Tom, Good comments. I printed this thread for LS. He is getting a big kick out of it. Stay tuned. We have something cool coming up for later in this season!!  TS

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
We never time laps back then but based on fairly recent flying of 1975 .36 on a combat cat wing with
RevUp >>>9X6<<< 5% Nitro at about 10ft with a fat needle 10ft hight and no whiping and 2 clocks running-----116mph. O-Yeh line length and dia were checked and were correct .018 X60ft. left overs from 75 nats.

I have no problem with translating that to over 120mph on a Spectrum with a mild G-21 on 30% and 8X8.
The Spectrum was one of my favorites before going back to my own slower but much tighter turning designs.
No the Spectrum did not fold like a winder or toothpick will.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:50:56 PM by W.D. Roland »
David Roland

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »
 I've recently  built another Scrambler , my design published in  M.A.N. back in 71 that features a spar-less Warren Truss wing, but have been too busy to fly it because of my involvement in e-stunt and R/C pattern- and the fact that a few pin holes appeared in the silk after it was doped and sprayed with two coats  of urethane clear. I dare not allow any fuel or exhaust residue to enter the said pinholes. Yes, this is for show and I'm a bit anal with it because  it is lighter, straighter and I believe  stronger( read torsional rigidity) than any of the Scramblers we built back in the early 70s.

I have an LS Tuned 36xBB  that Larry did his magic on in 1972 and a supply of  Binky Baby  Pacifiers which were the choice of most of the East Coast combat fliers in the 60s and 70s.

The fuel will likely be a custom mix, but I don't plan to exceed 30% Nitro and it'll have the best grade of castor.

My goal is to get it flight ready sometime this summer, after the big U/C  events are over.

I'll post  the results here and will be disappointed if I don't crack 120 .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here