News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Standard Fuel Tank for Air to Air  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Mike Austin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Standard Fuel Tank for Air to Air
« on: June 02, 2022, 06:06:17 PM »
Does anyone run a standard fuel tank in Air to Air Combat. I read a lot about bladders but not much on standard draw tanks. Trying to keep it simple to start with.

Thanks,'
M Austin

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Standard Fuel Tank for Air to Air
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 08:05:32 PM »
I am currently using a 90cc plastic tank from Hobby King. It's supposed to be a clunk tank, but I am using a rigid pickup tube. I set it up as uniflow, with the uniflow vent at the front of the tank, along the outboard side, slightly above center. Rotating the uniflow vent up or down inside the tank gives the same result as moving the tank up or down to equalize the run.  I am running on suction with a 1/4" venturi with a spraybar through the center on an OS 32F. I am using a plastic Bolly 8.5 x6 prop, mostly because I have a decent stash of them.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:39:10 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 11:05:06 AM »
If you're using a pressure tank the engine will pressurize the tank every time it fires. If the engine fires then quits you'll need a way to break the pressure or the engine will flood. The other down side is the engine will go lean at the end instead of rich so your engine could over heat.

Offline Mike Austin

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
Since Air to Air combat has a 75mph restriction I'm thinking plane weight and engine size can accomplish that speed with less hassle. Appreciate the responses from the stunt forum. I do have a Cardinal / OS 46 stunt plane that's got me back in the air after a cabillion years but I'm still learning what I forgot from the 70's Lol.

Thanks Again!!

Offline Mike Urban

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
I haven’t made it to one of the AtA events yet. I was planning to make the Houston contest on Memorial Day weekend, but some health problems put me on restricted duty. I was going to bring a Flite Streak dressed up in PT-19 livery. It has an older OS 25FP on suction with an old GRW chicken hopper tank. I’m not sure that combo will get up to 75 mph. Haven’t timed it yet. If not, I’m going to try crankcase pressure and open up the venturi. Landing gear comes off for competition.

Mike

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:48 AM »
I haven’t made it to one of the AtA events yet. I was planning to make the Houston contest on Memorial Day weekend, but some health problems put me on restricted duty. I was going to bring a Flite Streak dressed up in PT-19 livery. It has an older OS 25FP on suction with an old GRW chicken hopper tank. I’m not sure that combo will get up to 75 mph. Haven’t timed it yet. If not, I’m going to try crankcase pressure and open up the venturi. Landing gear comes off for competition.

Mike
Hopefully they are flying over decent turf.  Then you can get rid of the WHEELS.  They are almost sure to be too much drag fpr 75mph.  A FP25 with decent compression and broken in should run around 75mph with an 8/4, and 85, or that expensive 9/3 N that APC makes.

G-ood Luck
phil Cartier

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:14:49 PM »
This is my setup.   Hays 4 oz tank with the vent to the outboard side.  To fuel the model is held nose down and fueled through the vent   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here