News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed Limit Combat-ECL  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Speed Limit Combat-ECL
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »
I know I may be starting a fire here, but I was wondering if there would be major opposition to flying an electric powered combat model in the Speed Limit event.  The power-system would be fairly simple to do and there would be only a minor weight penalty, but the 75 mph speed wouldn't be hard to get.  The 5 minutes would be fairly easy as well.

Things to consider for safety would be:

1.) Shutoff to main battery power when lines are cut(centrifugal switch)
2.) Safety wire motor.
3.) Safety wire Battery.

I don't see anything else that would have to be any different than an .25 FP or .25 LA powered model than that.  Motors are available for less than $25, controllers for $30-$40, and 3S packs for less than $30.  It would be fairly cheap to do.

Would there be any opposition to this??

Now you might ask why would I go through the trouble?  My son loves combat.  We currently fly electric RC foamy combat.  I have been trying to get him to fly CL and he isn't interested until I mention combat.  I have not flown much CL combat, but have always enjoyed watching it.  The speed limit stuff interested me quite a bit.  I have a ton of electric stuff here and could be airborne by the weekend with some 1/2A sized and Speed limit stuff.  (Note:The 1/2A stuff would be very easy to do and even cheaper.)  We wouldn't be ready to compete this year, but if there wasn't a bunch of opposition to the idea, I would love to fly (get our butts handed to us) next season.

Any thoughts?

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Speed Limit Combat-ECL
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
Archie,If it goes the right speed and your on .018 x 60' lines you can run at the Beanfield next year.Pat MacKenzie is going to love this.We run 80MPH up here (no shut off rule) Other than a 300 sq. in. min. wing area no other airframe rules (engine tether?) would apply.A twin would make cuts a lot easier!

Brad LaPointe
MAAC 5418

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
It is in the nature of CL combat that small, very sharply made, direction changes are the way to collect multiple cuts per attacking pass, if the target is unable to jink away in as equally quick a manner.  This puts a heavier model in a serious disadvantage.  While any IC engine is the typical rule, the majority (in my experience) are from the .15 to .25 glow engine class, weighing from 4 1/2 to 7 1/2 Ounces, plus the fuel system, which typically is a bladder in a thin walled tube, filled with 3 1/2 Ounces of fuel that weighs about an Ounce per Ounce. 

I would imagine the combination of batteries and motor for an electric that could go 75 would be heavier than that.  I may be wrong, of course, won't be the first time.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »
I am glad to see that so far all have kept an open mind.  The weight disadvantage is a problem.  What I have right now is 14 ounce power package.  I was thinking of going to a bigger 400-450 square inch model to reduce the wing loading.  Is the shut off rule a local thing, or a national rule?  It is easy to do, but would be nice not to have a bellcrank that doesn't move in (2) axis. 

The system should get close to 80 mph, but it would press my luck with the capacity.  I need to see what happens with a streamer.  I was hoping to stay around 2500 cells, but 80 mph would probably need 3000's.  That would add 2 more ounces. 

Time to start building and experimenting.

Thanks,

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
The whole reason speed limit combat exists:  NO SHUTOFF REQUIRED.

Question: How many of these electro-jobs can you afford to crash?

Paul Smith

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
The current Speed Limit wing area averages are somewhat above 400 for the 15s, 450 to 500 for the 25s, and 550 for the far-NE ones running 32SXs (about 8 1/2 Ounces, I believe, and they are only going 73 mph, with some really strange-sounding {IMO} rules).

My opinion on the reason SL is being flown doesn't relate to shut-offs.  Various alternatives to AMA Slow have existed before there was any AMA Slow, and continued on after that event was hatched.  I just don't see them as a problem for planes flying with 25s through 40s, only for the F2Ds. 

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:44:15 AM »
Well, we really beat the crap out of our foamy electric combat R/C jobs and haven't had an equipment failure yet.  With the prop savers available, bent shafts are very rare.  The total power system cost would be about what you can buy a new LA 25 for, so really don't know that cost will be too much of an issue.  The ESC's will be buried in the wing and should stay well protected.  The real advantage to an electric powered SL model would be no learning curve for my son and making a bladder tank 25 run.  I have every bit of confidence that I could do it, but I want a more plug and play approach for his first attempt. 

What wing loadings do you typically shoot for on a speed limit model?  The electric power system would be turning an APC 8x6 "E" prop and produce over 55 ounces of thrust.  What weight are you seeing in a ready to launch speed limit model?

Thanks for all the great info!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana     
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »
For 75 mph, with an OS 25 FP, roughly 20 Ounces, with engine, unfueled.  For 80 mph, with an OS 25 FX, 21 1/2 Ounces.  The only real variable other than engine choice is some occasional density variations in the foam stock.  Personally, although I own at least one LA 25, I wasn't well impressed with it for this application. 

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »
Speed Limit is a local event, with limits of 70, 75, or 80, depending on where you fly.  Also, there's some wiggle room in the with/without streamer thing.  A few  places actually time 'em.  More often, if they're close in the pre-attack laps, that's close enough.

Bottom line: It's not all that technical.  Just bring something that turns, goes little over the limit, and you don't mind losing it. 
Paul Smith

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
My only questions are:
(and I do not mean to be negative)

1) When you hit the ground in the middle of a match, what stops the motor?  How do you reset it to get back up? 

2) Will the LI-Poly battery be safe gettng banged around?

There have been experiments with speed 400 powered F2d sized airplanes.  They look fun.     
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Speed limit is the "second event" for a lot of the flyers around here.When our front line F2D stuff gets rebuilt or crumpled we stick a .25 on the front add some weight(13 gr.) to the tail and a large fender washer to the outboard and go put it out of it's misery.Some of the local contests feature some very vintage ...eer crappy airframes.Old slows ,fast planes ,flight streaks ,F2D's with unmatched inboards and outboards,and anything that sort of runs.A lot of it don't work that well.Some of those planes are in my garage.The brothers Mackenzie took it a way too seriously a few years ago.Pat took some Thunder Tiger .25's ,shortened the case and crank ,put a tapered prop driver and internal threaded prop nut(ala' F2D) on a plain bearing sport engine.Probably the most high tech sport .25's in history.Things have been rather dull the last few years ,electric power will at least bring back some new ideas.What I'm trying to say is you don't need the best airplane to compete around here. Just don't fly Pat and Ivan.

Brad LaPointe

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »
Great questions.  

The ESC has prop strike sensing which would stop the motor within 1 sec of impact.  To restart, push the timer button.  The Li-Poly's should be okay as long as they are shock mounted.  They would not do well if they were hard mounted.  There are hard covers available for them, so that could be an option.  

I am really looking forward to this.  My son has enthusiasm about flying CL, so the motivation is there.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
Brad,

I could see that speed limit would be a second event for many.  It is however more attractive to us as beginners because F2D would be a bit steep of a learning curve.  I would love to fly F2D, but my son might be ready to fly a SL next year after he wears out our 1/2 A Combat kitten trainer.  (Man those things can take a beating!!!!)  I don't know how long the black widow will last.  I might put one of our electric combat motors on it with (2) cells and see how it holds up. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »
Archie,one of the rules up here (and Detroit) that may help an electric is the matches are only 4 minutes long like F2D.What would be the 1 min. start period is used to start, launch and time the planes before the start of the match.So flip the switch about 10 seconds before combat and away you go.

Brad

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »
Brad,

Thanks for all the information.  I would like to get a few together.  I might be able to go to the Michigan state meet this year and could have a couple up there maybe to demo, or hell just go out and see how long I last!!  LOL  It ought to be a hoot!!  We'll see how it works out.  4 minutes would be better because the batteries would definatly last that long.  Might even change what prop I use to get more thrust.

I am sure that my boy would enjoy seeing his old man getting his head handed to him.  It would be nice though for him to see CL combat in action.  The videos are cool, but to be there is a whole different experience.  I am sure that Big Art (my grandfather) would enjoy the comedy of seeing his stunt flying grandson getting beat up by some combat folk.  This sounds like way too much fun!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »
Archie, a good SL plane weighs 16-17 oz with an LA or FP 25.  The airframe is around 10 oz.  Figure 6.5 oz for the engine, 3-4 ounces for 6-7 minutes of fuel.  If you can put together a 10 oz. power package that will run for at least 3 min at 400 watts you'd have a good combination for starting to fly combat.  Just make sure those LiPo batteries are well protected.  Otherwise, a crash will do them in.  So will a prop through the battery.  Don't know if you've tried A123 cells.  Three of them(about 7.5 oz) should be able to run 3 min. or so at 40 amps.  They are much hardier than the plastic cased LiPo's and don't burn up when damaged. 
phil Cartier

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
What you need for speed limit is a setup that will go 75 MPH for 2 minutes, then 85 MPH for one minute, then back to 75 for one minute, and finish the final minute at 80.  That way, you could be legal through the early minutes when do the timing, get your cuts in the third minute, and be back legal when they make you level off for a second speed check.  The final surge is insurance. 

If you get that working, I'll take three.
Paul Smith

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »
What you need for speed limit is a setup that will go 75 MPH for 2 minutes, then 85 MPH for one minute, then back to 75 for one minute, and finish the final minute at 80.  That way, you could be legal through the early minutes when do the timing, get your cuts in the third minute, and be back legal when they make you level off for a second speed check.  The final surge is insurance. 

If you get that working, I'll take three.
[/quote

Paul,
Be careful for what you wish for as I know that this is well within the realm of what these guys can do.  I would like to see you with some electrics though.
John
John Paris

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 06:12:56 AM »
Obviously, electric works OK for RC.  It seems to me that the line drag in CL eats up a lot of energy, thus electric CL has been less than successful to date.

Pulling at set of .018" x 60' lines at 75 MPH for 4 or 5 minutes might be something of a challenge.  Archie has a lot of skeels.  We'll see if he can do it and still keep down to manouvering weight.
Paul Smith

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
Archie,
Looks like you will need to make 3 extra for Paul.  He likes to keep up with the leading edge stuff.....
John
John Paris

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »
Archie-

If you don't get it together (or even if you do) this year, consider bringing it to Des Moines in the spring.  We have Speed Limit (75 mph) combat - usually get four or five rounds flown.  We also have very high quality stunt competition (in Pampa classes, P40, Old Time, and Classic) and Navy Carrier (also with electric allowed events).

I see nothing in the rules we use (for Speed Limit Combat) that would preclude an electric powered entry.  And if you get any static just see me - I'm the CD     :)

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
Actually building new stuff for Speed Limit is sort of skirting the rules.  The intent was to provide an outlet for "old" equipment that was exterminted by genocidal rules changes.

But while you're at it, how about an E-SL with a powerful 2:20 battery pack.  That way, you could make a 20-second pit stop in the middle, swap batteries, and finish strong, without the need to lug a half-dead battery the whole 5 minutes.  You'd need to win by one cut, but that's the name of the game.
Paul Smith

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
Paul,

I certainly understand the outlet of old airframes, but know I have no combat airframes.  I would have to start from scratch.  The whole intent for me to do this was to get my son involved in controline.  Plus, I have always wanted to try combat.  My only combat match was at Sig with a Skyray 35 and it was over pretty quick when I pancaked after some less than graceful combat and my pit couldn't get the motor restarted.

There is no doubt it will be a challenge to do this.  Towing 60' of .018" lines will really test the system.  If there is anything that this system will offer is consistancy.  Our trials in Stunt so far have been successful. 

I might get one together this year.  I have a 1/2A in the works to use the E-combat R/C power systems I have on hand.  I want to see what the effect of towing the streamer is.  I have plans for an FAI ship and plan to use the initial model. 

We'll see how it goes!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
Archie,
After watching your dad fly the Vector in the wind today at the Signal Seekers contest, I am sure that you will come up with something.  That is quite the unit that you have put together and it did not give anything up in the wind.  You can bet I will be keeping my eye open for what will be coming out of your Skunk Works.
John
John Paris

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 07:33:20 AM »
John,

Glad to hear that you saw the E-Vector.  I really think that the Brodak SC motor has quite a bit of power.  It also has a 5mm shaft which would make it a bit more crash resistant that the 4mm shafts on the Turnigy motors I had in mind for combat.  The Turngy motors are $25 though. :o :o 

I have had thought of even using a Pheonix controller with the governor to balance the run through the 4-5 minute match.  It would also help to maintain maneuver speed, but you would loose the advantage of speeding up when your own streamer gets shorter because the governor would maintain the rpm and flight speed would be constant.  THe whole trick would be to find a motor that would maintain the required RPM for the match.  And of course stay out of the ground and on your contestants tail instead of the other way around!!

By the way, no Skunk works here.  Anything we have done and are going to do is no secret.  Just ask!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »
While I'm not sure how building new models could be "skirting the rules", I have been questioned on a rules issue - by my usual Combat Event director, namely:

3. Equipment. Propulsion shall be provided by a propeller equipped piston
engine(s) with total swept volume of not more than .3600 cubic inches. The
aircraft shall be capable of attacking and evading maneuvers, .....

AND

3.2. The airplane shall have a restraining cable (minimum .027 stranded wire)
that fits snugly around the cylinder barrel/crankcase or may go through a
hole(s) drilled through the engine webs and attaches to the bellcrank mounting bolt.

Now what we propose is to waive #3 (since we already waive part of it in many
places - most don't enforce any max. displacement).  But rule 3.2 assumes that
a piston engine is being used and most of the electrics have no handy part of the
motor around which to loop a cable or even any place to drill a hole and pass a
cable through.  So if we propose to waive rule 3.2 FOR ELECTRICS ONLY, we must
still get this deviation past the Safety committee when the sanction is applied for.

I can only propose that the deviation state that in the case of an electric power
system, the restraining cable must attach to a mounting screw which is threaded
directly into the motor stator plate (the stationary part of an outrunner). Even
with that, the motor magnet ring (the rotating part of an outrunner) is not
restrained except by a wheel collar or c-clip on the back end of the shaft.
It remains to be seen, then, how the sanction would be treated.

Just food for thought .....

Mike A.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
  While I currently do not fly this event (Speed limit combat), I have been drafted into being ED  of it in several contests.  I would STRONGLY advise all who fly in it and ESPECIALLY those who run aor assist in running this event to read carefully Paragraph 3.3 on page CLB-2 of the control line Combat section of the current AMA Rule book.
  Also AT ANY TIME the ED determines that a plane MAY be exceeding the established speed limit, he MAY require the planes to level off for a timing .

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
For those who may not have a rule book handy, here is the text of the paragraph Marvin refers to:

3.3. The aircraft or engine shall be equipped with a device to stop the engine in the event of a line break or
 other incident which allows the aircraft to leave the flying circle. The device must remain functional for the
 entire flight period and must be repaired or replaced if it becomes nonfunctional during the match.
 The aircraft will not require a shutoff device if used in an event flown to a speed limit of 75 miles per hour or
 slower. During a speed limit event, the aircraft will be timed to measure the speed at the beginning of the match.
 During the timing, the aircraft must maintain level flight at or above 15 feet. The pilots are allowed to walk
 inside the pilots’ circle. If a pilot steps outside the circle, he is to be warned and then timed again. The
 second offense will result in a forfeit of the match. The pilot will be allowed to land the aircraft if it exceeds
 the speed limit.  Adjustments may then be made to slow the aircraft down. There will be no airtime points
 awarded to the offending pilot while his aircraft exceeds the speed limit. The signal to fly combat will not be
 given if either of the aircraft exceeds the speed limit. The signal to stop combat will be given at any point the
 starting judge feels that either aircraft has exceeded the speed limit. The starting judge is the only person
 responsible for this timing.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here