News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spectra Lines  (Read 1534 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spectra Lines
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:34:08 PM »
Got out and tested some Spectra lines today, just flying, no matches.  The results were pretty good.  I used Power Pro 100 lb. test Hi-Vis yellow. Diameter is .45 mm(.0184 in.)$40 for 300 yards at the local shop, $3.50 a set for F2D.  Melton Tackle has 1500 yards for $170, a little cheaper.  Other dealers and other brands(the material all comes either from Honeywell or Dyneema) are cheaper.

I pull tested several short pieces.  Just tied the ends with a loop and overhand knot.  They consistently broke at 45 lb.  Some at the knot, others a few inches away.  Putting a sleeve of larger line over the part to be knotted should increase that a bunch, according to the experts.  I'll give it a try.  The single line strength is comfortably above the 33 lb(150 newtons) pull test.  80 lb(.42 mm) or 50 lb.(.38mm) test Spectra with sleeves on the knots should be usable too.

I also tested several pieces of 018 stainless line made using steel crimps.  They broke slightly higher, 47-50 lb., always at a crimp.

The Spectra lines weigh 5.5 grams for a set.  The stainless lines weigh 32 grams.

Flying was a non-event.  I put them on a sport 15 plane for a dozen flights.  No problems with mulitiple loops or speed.  I tried them on an AKM ship.  Speed was right where it usually is(way slow compared to the numbers I see).  23+ for ten laps.  The plane flew much better, even though it had a bit too much tip weight with the light lines.  Virtually no line whip even in the tightest maneuvers.

I like it.  More later.  I plane to try smaller lines with sleeving, and of course some good line tangles.
phil Cartier

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: Spectra Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:13:18 AM »
Hi. What is/are Spectra lines? ???
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:53:58 AM »
Spectra fishing line.  Take a look at Wikipedia for a complete description.  Technically it is gel-spun ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.  The fibers are about 10x as strong as steel.
phil Cartier

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 04:59:19 AM »
G'day Phil. If you don't mind I'll borrow this info and enquire on our Barton site here in England. English are notorious fishermen and may know something about this stuff over here. At first sight we can have lines with 1/10th. cross sectional area, 1/6th. the weight, and same strength? Hmmmm.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »
Dyneema is a Swiss or Dutch company.  Dyneema kite line and fishing line should be all over the place in England.  Based on my testing so far, both Half A and now 15 size, I'd go for the same diameter as steel lines.  We also need to do some more testing with "sleeved" ends, where a piece of hollow Dacron fishing line is slid over the line before tying the knot.  That is supposed to bring the breaking strength up closer to the rated breaking strength.  With just a little research into the terminations, these things would be fine for stunt right now.

For combat we have to do some serious line tangle testing.  In half A the 30 lb. Spectra lines hold up MUCH better than .012 steel lines.  I'd want to do a fair amount of controlled testing on 15's, speed limit planes, and maybe fast ships before pitting Spectra against steel lines in open competition.  Spectra against Spectra is no problem.  I tried to do an abrasion test and gave up after 200 1 ft. strokes.  Steel lines would only take 50 or so, steel on steel.

phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here