News:

• May 14, 2024, 04:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sneeker boom length  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Chucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sneeker boom length
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
Got an Umland Sneeker kit in the mail yesterday and am considering the long boom option shown on the plans -- similar dimensionally to the Voodoo update.  This is said to compensate for the heft of a more modern BB motor.  Am planning to put a Fox CS MK III on it, which I believe is quite a bit heavier than the old Johnson CS shown on the plans.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chuck Winget

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
Re: Sneeker boom length
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
Chucky,

I built Sneekers out of Riley Wooten's Flight Line Kits back in the 1960's. Still have three that are in good flying condition.  I flew them in competition during the mid 1960's along with Riley's VooDoo's and Vampire's using the Fox .36x BB and later Super Tigre .35 Combat plain bearing engines.  I am sure that these engines are lighter than the Fox Mk III.  They all balanced fine with no tail weight using standard length booms and the afore mentioned engines.  I have two Fox Mk IV Combat Specials in my collection and I know that they are certainly heavier than the earlier Fox Combat engines or the Johnson CS and/or Johnson .36BB.  I always used the standard length booms, however, I just took measurements on a Howard Rush Nemesis II and found the following:  Total boom length is 9 and 3/4 inches.  The distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stabulator is 6 inches.  Howard claimed this was the best boom length for maximum performance on the Nemesis II........and believe me............the 6 inch booms on Howard's terror of the 1960's combat circle work REAL GOOD!     y1    H^^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:06:12 AM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:44:40 AM »
Thanks for the info Terrence.  The kit plans I have show 4.5" between TE and stab LE with the long booms -- a couple of inches more than the standard ones.  Believe I'll go with the long option and see how the CG works out.  Just don't want to get a nose heavy model -- no fun.  Can shorten the long booms if necessary.  Believe I'll have to get plans for the Nemesis II and build one.  Looks to be a fairly simple design with fewer pieces than the Sneeker.
Chuck Winget

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Chucky,

The Sneeker is a real fun airplane, kind of sports car like perfomance, but the Nemesis II is the best wooden combat plane I have seen in my 58 years of control line flying.  Find the Nemesis II plans and build with light wood.........use a Super Tigre .35 Combat engine, bladder tank, and a 9/7 prop (Howard used a Tigre G-21 .35 and an 8/8 prop, slightly more powerful, but heavier).  They are not quite as simple to build as the Sneeker, Demon or VooDoo, but they are well worth the extra effort.  This design is stable, very fast, very smooth, extremely quick in maneuvers and will not slow down, no matter what maneuvers you execute (unless you hit the ground)! You will love the Nemesis II!   #^   y1
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:11:09 AM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
I'll see if I can come up with some accurate Nemesis plans.  Do you have CAD or a way to print a .pdf file accurately?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the offer, Howard.  I can handle PDF's if you have the Nemesis II in that format.
Chuck Winget

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
Howard:

Do you want me to make the CAD plans?  It will only take me a couple of days.  I have both your original 1962 plans (from Brooks) and a set of M&P plans from the kit.  I'm happy to draw them up if you want me to.  I did a pretty good job on the Bosta plans, and I suspect that I could even draw the Nemesis II plans from memory if I had to. ( I built a few...)

Regarding boom length:  We built one with 8" booms and it flew rather differently from the standard version.  Based on the results, I would recommend the standard 6" version.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

larry borden

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »
When I was stationed in Lubbock with the USAF, I got to know Riley. I was never very good at flying the Nemesis and decided they were too hard to build, and they were more expensive than the $2.95 Sneeker kit. I had Riley cut me the booms to allow the 4 1/2 inches between the wing TE and stab LE.

We all flew SUpertiger G21's on pacifier tanks housed in the metal pudding cans. I als moved the engine halfway into the leading edge and added a gusset between the rib and LE to keep the wing from folding. I wrote an article about this set up in the MACA news letter around 1973.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:02:52 AM »
Howard:

Do you want me to make the CAD plans?  It will only take me a couple of days.  I have both your original 1962 plans (from Brooks) and a set of M&P plans from the kit.  I'm happy to draw them up if you want me to.  I did a pretty good job on the Bosta plans, and I suspect that I could even draw the Nemesis II plans from memory if I had to. ( I built a few...)

Regarding boom length:  We built one with 8" booms and it flew rather differently from the standard version.  Based on the results, I would recommend the standard 6" version.

Thanks, Gary.  I'll send you my crude draft. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
I'd go with the long booms on the Sneaker. I had one with a ST .35C on a real pacifier, and liked the way it flew with the short booms, but with a heavier engine, the long booms would be da bomb. It wasn't a real fast design, tho mine was clocked at 116 two flights in a row (50% nitro) by guys that knew how. It'd do about 108 on M.Mist and propped for combat, but without the streamer. I had faster, and they weren't smaller.  The wing itself is just not real clean, IMO.

Might add, that I have an original Flite Line kit of a Sneaker Mk. 11 (?) that has the long booms, and a sticker on the box that announces that detail.  :o   Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 04:27:14 AM »
Thanks Steve.  Sounds like the Sneeker went the same route as the Voodoo for boom length, which makes sense.
Chuck Winget

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here