News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:15:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Size of Loops  (Read 950 times)

Offline Casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Size of Loops
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:05:02 AM »
I just completed my 1/2A BELJAEV combat wing. CG is 19%. Elevator deflection is 10 degrees. Will the loops be too big?

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Size of Loops
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
I just completed my 1/2A BELJAEV combat wing. CG is 19%. Elevator deflection is 10 degrees. Will the loops be too big?

If that's 5° up and down the loops will probably be fairly large.    The planes I have are setup with about 3/4in. total travel at the trailing edge.
That's something like 25-30°.
phil Cartier

Offline Casey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »
It's 10 degrees  up and 10 degrees down

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
If you fly at 15 foot , and do an outside loop, and it hits the ground, theyre TO BIG ,  ;).

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
It's 10 degrees  up and 10 degrees down

Then you should be OK.  Be prepared though.  Especially with a Fora 1/2A or similar motor they seem very fast and responsive.  Most people find, or make handles with about a 2-2.5in. line spacing.  That slows down the controls so the feel is closer to and F2D or Fast plane.  If you can't fly it level down at 5-7 ft. play around with moving the CG forward, usually by shimming the motor mount forward with some fiberglass circuit board material.  Places like McMaster-Car, Grainger, or MSC have it.
phil Cartier

Offline Dick Tyndall

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:59:20 PM »
   These posts remind me of a time back around 1980 at a contest at Anacosta NAS outside of Washington, D.C.. Mr. Cartier and I were flying a Fast Combat match and being the good flier that he is I was having a hard time trying to get him off of my tail. I was flying my own single boom design with Phil's foam wing cores and modified Fox MKIII's. Well, to my surprise ( and Phil's ) I pulled an outside  at a much lower than usual altitude to finally get away from him and win the match. I believe there were grass stains on my prop tips after that one. Not sure that Phil will remember this one but it is one match that I haven't forgotten.
    More to the point of these posts, where the Center of Gravity is on the airplane has a lot to do with how much stabilator deflection you need to have. Most fliers seem to like their airplanes set up differently than others do. I think the older we get we like to slow the controls DOWN ( not as sensitive as we had them when we were younger ! ). I like to tell people "The older I get the better I was ".

Dick Tyndall

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
Glad you're still around to talk combat Dick.

I don't remember that match.  I got beat by a lot of flyers better'n me, but that's how you learn.

These days I prefer F2D Fast.  Mainly, I only have one good Nelson that I don't want to break.  However, lots of F2D motors and planes.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here