News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:41:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam Voodoo Build  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Foam Voodoo Build
« on: November 15, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »
For this year’s Vintage Combat plane Festival I intended to build a half dozen or so Voodoo’s with LA 25’s for the general group to fly in matches.  Prior to the event I had a discussion with Phil Cartier and he mentioned building foam VooDoo’s as they would be a lot less work and more durable. At first, I wasn’t all that excited about the idea. After sleeping on it I thought it was a great idea! So I drew something up using Phil’s speed limit plane as a guide. I then reached out to Phil for suggestions and we incorporated those into the build. Phil quickly cut 4 cores and got them to me. I was able to have a prototype done for this year’s Vintage day. Attached is a photo of the plane and a kit built version from the 70’s.
  In reading Riley’s memoirs of the VooDoo, he mentioned his originals had a full 36” leading edge plus tips. The kit version had a 33” leading edge for cost efficient packaging. Phil’s cores reflect the original 36” version.
I figured I would share with you my way of assembling a quick and very durable foam VooDoo. It takes just a few evenings to assemble one and I will walk through my build up coming. I did some prep work that I’ll share with you now.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Foam Voodoo Build
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:27:28 AM »
Center Rib being shaped. I laminated 1/8" light ply for motor mount. I have had real good luck on my speed limit plane using a 1/2" piece of poplar for my center rib. This one has a balsa aft section in an attempt to shed weight. The motor mount spacing is 30mm. works great for the LA and with a couple of shims you can bolt on your old vintage 36.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:30:15 AM »
Motor mount and foam cut off to shape center rib
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:34:43 AM »
Well, that's pretty dadgum interesting, Tom.

Reminds me of Riley's "Vampire".

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »

Tom, I sent ya' a P/M..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
If I hadn't mentioned it, Foam Cores can be obtained from Phil Cartier at The Corehouse,

Ok
 Im installing the bellcrank in the wing. A much easier way is to do an external mount in picture 3.

Edit 11/19/19
please note I removed Phil's web address. Sparky's site got a cyber attack and I don't want Phil to get attacked.

You can just go to Phil's page here and he has a thread on the VooDoo wing
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:06:09 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:20 AM »
Center rib above is poplar as suggested previously. I just tap the fuselage with a 6-32 tap then harden with CA.

When laminating the engine block, I do put some fiberglass on it to prevent separation or splitting in a crash. The best method I found to laying down fiberglass is to mist it with spray 77 and lay it down and card it off. You can then use  finish resin, epoxy or the fastest way is thin CA. Small areas I'll use thin CA, larger I'll use Finishing Resin. see photos. last one is my Super Satan, the whole nose and fuel nacelle is done with 3/4oz. fiberglass and finishing resin. Almost undetectable.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
more
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:05:30 AM »
Did a little work yesterday. Bored the leadout holes in the inboard wing. I just use a piece of 5/16" aluminum tube sharpened. I also put a piece of tape with a reference line to make sure im heading in the right direction.. At the bellcrank side I oblong the hole around 3/4" for bellcrank travel.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 06:00:05 AM »
Andre,
  Was the Vampire a foam VooDoo or was it a different design?

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »
Vampire had only one spar about 10" long and housed the bell crank platform. Its strength came from a poster board covering that was glued to the foam. Remember, we didn't have plastic covering in those days. The airplane was basically a foam Voodoo as far as dimensions.  I flew them often back in the late 60's. Riley won the 68 Nats with a Vampire. That was in Olathe Kansas. That was my only Navy Nats I ever attended.

Well, I've tried to attach a pic but it's just too much trouble. I just built a Vampire for nostalgia. Fox 36X. flies really well. Pretty too. Shame you cant see it.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Tom, you should consider your airplane to be a "better" Vampire. It looks like it's closer to a Vampire than a Voodoo to me as far as construction.

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
finally got pics to work

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »
Hi Tom:

As for a Vampire, Bob pretty much covered what they were. Voodoo airfoil and span/aspect ratio as I recall. I flew them back in '70. Built them in stacks. The "Flite Span" (Riley's tag) covering was some type of light posterboard-type paper. It was durable, but made for more weight. I think all of mine came in at about 18 oz or a bit less.

Attached is a pic of the last Vampire I built back in the late 1990s/early 2000's. Didn't fly near as good as my originals I built back in '70. Don't know why. Only flew it a time or two and set it aside.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »
Thanks Bob and Andre!
 Okay so now we know its the same plane. I think the VooDoo name has a special place in our hearts and was one of the best selling kits of all time. Other 2 being the Ringmaster and Nobler. In Riley's post he said they sold 150,000 kits a year!

My hope to sharing this build with the community is to, give guys a bit of nostalgia and access to, a durable VooDoo that they can have and expand on their flying capabilities. A VooDoo with a Tigre, 36x or any other Combat motor of the day is maybe a bit fast for the retread. Start with an LA 25 and then you can graduate to a hotter engine. I believe the prototype flew around 75-80 mph. and performed quite well. Also, If Nostalgia events keep growing guys can slap a bunch of these together in a hurry and quite cheap too. I think the cores are like 13 bucks and the remaining wood is another 5. I covered the yellow one with econokote. I'm thinking I can get 3 planes out of a roll. SLC even cheaper if you have it.

Thanks Guys!
I'll get back at ASAP. Trying to wrap up honey do's before I fully go into building mode.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »
If you want the foam VooDoo to look more authentic I could change the shape of the ribs, shape the front to match the wood LE with slots for 1/8x1/4 along the LE rear edge for something to glue the cap strips to, and the rest of the wing thinned out 1/16 in. to allow for 1/16in. cap strips and trailing edge sheeting.

Covered with colored film or painted it would look like a wood VooDoo.  It would probably take the same amount of build time as the wood plane, but easier to keep straight, as long as your building board is nice and flat.

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here