News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SILK AND DOPE VOODOO  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
SILK AND DOPE VOODOO
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
HERE'S A VOODOO SCRATCH BUILT FROM OUTERZONE PLANS.
Very old Esaki silk(some worm holes, n.c.) and finished with Randolph dope from Aircraft Spruce. The l.e. was cut and shaped from square stock and I'm not in too much of a hurry to do another soon.
 Built this for several reasons ;
- Have lost count of how many  Voodoos I built/flew/demolished in the 60s ...
- A friend gave me the ST C 21 35 because I told him that I always wanted one back in the day, but couldn't afford anything but  a McCoy 35  and eventually" moved up" to a Fox 35 and 36x. So, I promised him I'd build something to  mount it on.  Hoping this is a great choice since it is lighter than the ST G 21 35( although a bit less powerful) and just what I had in mind for fun, not competition.
- The winters are lousy and long in NJ and I wasn't too involved in other building projects.
- I wanted another vintage combat ship for the upcoming GSCB VINTAGE COMBAT FESTIVAL which is rapidly becoming a fan favorite !

The pics include one  of me with the last Voodoo  that I built  (1969) before designing my Scrambler.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: SILK AND DOPE VOODOO
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »
Yo Frankie!  How's you an 'da boyz doin'? (Said in my best Andre Mingliani voice.)

I like your new Voodoo. Looks like the covering job turned out great. I'll forgive you on the use of an ST on the front of it.  >:D

Also really like the vintage ad pic with you in it!  I saved that one to my "Model Planes Net Friends" folder.

Sure wish it were possible to make it out your way again this year for the GSCB's VCF meet... but it really isn't possible this time around. By the way, even Sharon enjoyed being around all you New Joisey crazies at that eating joint on Saturday night! She really got a hoot out of all of you. Great group of guys.

Hope Larry's doing well. Need to call him and see how he and Ginger are getting along.

All for now.

(Reminder to self: There really are some cool people in this hobby.)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:29:24 PM by Andre Ming »
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
Oh that is pretty!!!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 06:17:52 AM »
Yo Frankie!  How's you an 'da boyz doin'? (Said in my best Andre Mingliani voice.)

I like your new Voodoo. Looks like the covering job turned out great. I'll forgive you on the use of an ST on the front of it.  >:D

Also really like the vintage ad pic with you in it!  I saved that one to my "Model Planes Net Friends" folder.

Sure wish it were possible to make it out your way again this year for the GSCB's VCF meet... but it really isn't possible this time around. By the way, even Sharon enjoyed being around all you New Joisey crazies at that eating joint on Saturday night! She really got a hoot out of all of you. Great group of guys.

Hope Larry's doing well. Need to call him and see how he and Ginger are getting along.

All for now.

(Reminder to self: There really are some cool people in this hobby.)

Andre :
Sorry to hear you can't make it this year- but it's understandable, knowing the travel distance. You contributed a lot to the event last year and we're hoping you will return again.
Think Duke is p.o. ed  and turning over in his grave now that I have a Tigre up front ? He was famously frugal, as you no doubt discovered while working for him. He told me  in a  typed letter from his secretary  that he'd like to do an ad up with me using a professional photographer, but inserted in ink" don't exceed $10". I still have that letter.  Even in 1969, obviously , there wasn't a studio that would do it for that ridiculous amount, so my Uncle( Dominic- real Italian !) took it with a primitive Polaroid Instant Camera. Duke put it on a dark background and his ad agency cut it out, adding 50 lbs. of girth. Was never close to being that heavy then as I was still fresh out of high school where I ran Cross-Country in the fall and the two-mile for Spring track.
Regards,
Frank

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:31:53 AM »
Looking good Frankie.  Another one of your 20 point finishes?  Got to see it fly.
Jim Vigani

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
Thanks, Jim.
 Coming from a great builder such as yourself, I appreciate. Not a 20 pointer, just clean- like we did  back then.
See ya,
Frank

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 01:15:41 PM »
Hi Again Frank!

"Sorry to hear you can't make it this year- but it's understandable, knowing the travel distance. You contributed a lot to the event last year and we're hoping you will return again."

It was a lot of fun, I assure you. We've discussed how enjoyable it was to be around a totally different culture than where we're from. The accents killed us! So fun.

I will say that we (Sharon and I) were shocked at just how FAR it is to NJ. NJ didn't seem that far away when I was but a young man driving semi-trucks! In retrospect, we probably should not have tried to cram so much traveling into our time off. (i.e. Out to NJ, back to WV then drive for three days seeing WV, then drive to Tulsa for the TGD stunt meet, etc.)

Next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time), we'll plan it different so that NJ is the start point for the rest of our vacation and from there we head on up to New England so I can show Sharon some of the neat things I saw there when driving the aforementioned semi-trucks "way back when".  Also take more time to do so. This may have to wait until I'm retired in about 2 years... but one way or the other... I've got to get back and fellowship/fly with you New Joisey Crazies again.

"Think Duke is p.o. ed  and turning over in his grave now that I have a Tigre up front?"

Oh yeah.

Tigre was "the enemy".  I spent a lot of time trying to come up with modifications that could translate into production in order to buy time for the 36X while Duke mulled his options as to what to do next for a combat engine.

"He was famously frugal, as you no doubt discovered while working for him."

That is a very polite way of putting it. :D

Really enjoyed reading your anecdote concerning Duke and the ad. Told Sharon about and when I laughingly told her about Duke inking in "don't exceed $10"... she chuckled and said "that is SO Duke Fox!".  She also lived those years, too!

As for the cropping: Yeah... I wondered about that added weight you'd gained!

Back to your Voodoo:

So that is that silk you guys were talking about? Didn't you say it's a bit heavier (thicker) that the old Esaki silk we used to use way back when?

Another Voodoo is on my "one of these days" list to replace my last one that gave up the ghost after innumerable flights. However, I'm really tempted to put a Johnson CS on the nose.  Shhhhh!!!  Don't tell Duke!!

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »
Looking good Frank! Can't wait to let her loose for you. #^
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »
Now can you imagine how I would feel when I would look up and see Duke walking toward me.   I liked Fox's even though I would have trouble restarting while they were hot.  I did not use pacifiers as I started my own engines until 70 when AMA made the rule change.  I would see him coming and grab a rag to cover the Super Tigre I had on the Big Iron as Well as the Johnson on another Big Iron.  I think I had the Fox on a Sneeker.  I was not much of a threat in combat and entered just to be flying instead of watching until the rule change.  I also had to hide my can of dish washing fuel as he called it.   K&B 100 was my choice of fuel back then.  You know Duke was always a gentleman to me and when I heard of his down fall I was hurt.  My son still has the SIG jacket with the big Fox cloth emblem on it that Duke autographed for him.  I too would love to get to Jersey and fly with the guys.  Larry was one of the big name stars that talked with me at the 64 NATS in the hanger.  It was fun watching him at VSC flying Old Time the way he said it was supposed to be flown and then he would pull out his little .15 powered ship and fly it.   Last time I saw Larry was at Brodaks 2 years ago.  Also Andre if things go right I may make it to Tulsa again.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
Frank,
  You did a wonderful job on the Voodoo. I am in the process of building two Big Irons. Going to put McCoy 35 with tank on one, and S.T .35 with Pacifier on the other. I haven't flown C/L since early 1970's, so I thought I better start out slow. I have three Spoiler Combat Planes that Gerald Sanders made, before he passed away, that are already on Pacifiers. Hope I can find some Pacifiers that are as good as the Binky's. Still working on the transfer of the original Zipper Combat Plane Blue Prints (designed be Wayne Welch of Lubbock TX.) to Auto-Cad. I am going to have my Bother-in-Law laser cut a few dozen for me. I have been contacted by De Hill of Ok., John Holiday from Kansas, and Ray Stone who was one of my pit men along with Gerald Sanders at the 1966 NATS. I am hoping to hear from more of the folks that were flying back in the 1960-1970 time frame.

Randy Dailey

PS: Guess Andre has never flown against a S.T. 35 bushing engine that has been Reworked.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 03:12:02 AM »
            Frank, that's really cool.I have some red silk here and I want to do something similar with it. Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 04:14:21 AM »
            Frank, that's really cool.I have some red silk here and I want to do something similar with it. Ken

Hey Ken :
Absolutely recommend that you use it ! I gave away beautiful  orange silk 20 years ago and still kick myself. Thought I'd never use it being as all my R/C ships were film covered.
I covered my Killer with red and it looks snappy with the black fuse and yellow accents.
 Building 'em like we used to is a hoot -as much fun as flying them.
 Hope to see you and Sean soon.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »
Really nice job on the voodoo! I have used the Dharma silk as it's a bit tougher to pesky little holes on landing, but nothing looks quite as nice as the old Esaki.

Let us know how it flies.

Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
Thanks Jim H. , Tom L., Ken C. and Ken B. I'd love to see more postings  with pics of these birds. We're preserving something, no doubt.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »
Here is a recent picture received from Vancouver PA flyer Joe Yau. It's-it's a barroom Blitz!

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
HERE'S A VOODOO SCRATCH BUILT FROM OUTERZONE PLANS.
Very old Esaki silk(some worm holes, n.c.) and finished with Randolph dope from Aircraft Spruce. The l.e. was cut and shaped from square stock and I'm not in too much of a hurry to do another soon.
 Built this for several reasons ;
- Have lost count of how many  Voodoos I built/flew/demolished in the 60s ...
- A friend gave me the ST C 21 35 because I told him that I always wanted one back in the day, but couldn't afford anything but  a McCoy 35  and eventually" moved up" to a Fox 35 and 36x. So, I promised him I'd build something to  mount it on.  Hoping this is a great choice since it is lighter than the ST G 21 35( although a bit less powerful) and just what I had in mind for fun, not competition.
- The winters are lousy and long in NJ and I wasn't too involved in other building projects.
- I wanted another vintage combat ship for the upcoming GSCB VINTAGE COMBAT FESTIVAL which is rapidly becoming a fan favorite !

The pics include one  of me with the last Voodoo  that I built  (1969) before designing my Scrambler.

The Goldberg Voodoo is a legend for sure.  I have 4 flying and 12 more Voodoos in 6 double kits sitting on the shelf.  ..... bought the kits for $6.95 each from a hobby shop going out of business and wanting to clean out the inventory.  That was in the mid-1980's.  My favorite engine for the Voodoo is the Super Tigre .35C plain bearing engine and also the Fox .36x BB, both on pacifier fuel systems.  I ended up in 5th place in Open Combat at the Olathe Nats in 1968 flying the Voodoo..  When it came to the final flight to decide 4th and 5th place, I had destroyed all my Vampires (Fox .36x BB) and borrowed my one of my brother's Voodoos (Fox .36x BB) to make the final flight which I did win.......5th place trophy......Open Combat ......1968 Nats ...... Olathe, Kansas.  I got a kill on my opponent while chasing him inverted.  The Voodoo is a real fun airplane, even though it started out as the "Sniper" that Riley flew back around 1959, when he won the Nats for the umpteenth time and it is a little bit diffverent from the "Sniper", but not a lot.  ......   D>K       H^^

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 07:21:05 AM »
Hi Terrance :
I love my Voodoo/ST 35C combo. Plenty fast, maneuverable as all, and very stable. I well remember the 68  NAVY NATS  at Olathe.  HOTTER than Hell

If you check here on Stunthanger" AS Time Goes By",I posted a story about the adventures of two teens from NJ attending their first NATS.
Good Luck,
Frank

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
 I'd love to see more postings  with pics of these birds. We're preserving something, no doubt.
[/quote]
    Frank, here's what's left of my SLASHER that I built in 1968. I kept it all these years it because it brings back memories of flying combat at ESNA with Hollywood. I want to make a new pretty one for the Vintage Combat Festival.
Al

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 07:14:35 AM »
Hi Al :
Hope you do.
 I'm already looking forward to the combat festival in September.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
Thanks Jim H. , Tom L., Ken C. and Ken B. I'd love to see more postings  with pics of these birds. We're preserving something, no doubt.

Guess I better get busy. I have a Vintage plane in mind, need to order plans from Bobby Mears. Also, something cool I started last year, not vintage but retro! D>K
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here