News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First time in the fray....  (Read 2122 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
First time in the fray....
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
Tried my hand at combat for first time Saturday.

Had a bad run so I was playing catch up the whole time but did manage to snatch his streamer first. Altho he was taking it very easy on me so I could get used to someone else in the circle.

It was a blast!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First time in the fray....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
Nice job Jim, also your opponent.  It's really hard to get close when one plane is a  much different speed than the other.  Lucky you didn't midair.

For practice I'd suggest 9ft strings and 10ft. of streamer.  We're using something called Smart Fab which is sort of a non-woven fabric that is just about perfect for combat.  Rarely shreds, doesn't break at the knot, you can still get a cut sometimes with just the wing but the prop cuts it just fine.  Very rare to have the streamer kill the motor in a cut.
phil Cartier

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
Nice job Jim, also your opponent.  It's really hard to get close when one plane is a  much different speed than the other.  Lucky you didn't midair.

For practice I'd suggest 9ft strings and 10ft. of streamer.  We're using something called Smart Fab which is sort of a non-woven fabric that is just about perfect for combat.  Rarely shreds, doesn't break at the knot, you can still get a cut sometimes with just the wing but the prop cuts it just fine.  Very rare to have the streamer kill the motor in a cut.
Yea I flew it right before this bout and she was humming great. Where I screwed up is starting it and running to the handle like it's a stunt plane. I shoulda backed off a click or 2 and let it unload in flight.

The streamer didnt kill the motor. Lines got tangled causing me to go in and then him lol. I went smack into the mud. Cracked fuse and busted covering which is fine with me as I was planning on recovering anyways.  His tail snapped off but is already flight ready lol.

I'll consider your suggestion on the streamer setup and material! Thanks!

I need to get on the ball and make a order for some of your stuff as well.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »
Tried my hand at combat for first time Saturday.

Had a bad run so I was playing catch up the whole time but did manage to snatch his streamer first. Altho he was taking it very easy on me so I could get used to someone else in the circle.

It was a blast!!!

I am 78 years old and started flying combat in 1955.  At that time I was flying the Ringmaster, the Half Fast, the Riley Wooten Pirate and was using K&B .35 greenhead engines   Your video reminded me of those days and you are right.  It was a blast back in the day when speeds were slow enough for you to think about what you were doing and to see what the opponent was doing.  Even today, 75 mph combat is the way to go as you can actually enjoy the matches.  Thanks a lot for the video.  ........  D>K     H^^

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »

Not a problem at all!! Hoping and plannin to film every one.

I havent tried any of those hot 120mph ships yet but I reallllly enjoy this kind of combat.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
Jamie you still at 307 Lasa?

might have a care pkg fer ya

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »
Jamie you still at 307 Lasa?

might have a care pkg fer ya
Yessir

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
wink
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 03:04:06 PM »

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 09:45:30 PM »
So Jamie, what was your pulse rate after that?  I'll bet it was 180 +.  LL~ LL~ LL~ Been there, miss it, but at my age, fagetaboutit. LL~
It was an amazing adrenaline rush!!!! Almost as.good if not better than the first time I flew the pattern in Houston last year lol

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:18 AM »
Fantastic! Welcome to combat world! As you continue, make that first defensive maneuver and outside loop. You will find it wont create the line tangle. Fly more, laugh more, enjoy more!

Home of the control line combat museum.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
I have had more fun flying slow combat when I was younger than anything else I did with my clothes on.  It was our major form of recreation while I was in Thailand and Korea with our esteemed military.  We flew every day the weather permitted.  We used a 6' hard deck to help keep our fleet flying.  Drew quite a crowd.  Too old now to keep my balance.

Have fun!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
At the NATS last year they were video taping some of the combat and doing interviews.  One videographer asked for an interview after a Speed Limit match that lasted a long time.  I have her the spiel about competition and meeting a lot of people at out of the way places. Then she asked what I liked best about it. Took a few seconds but I said "control line combat is about the only thing you can do that will get you really high on adrenaline, just like the match I'd been in.  It's just about the only way you can get that much excitement and not risk your life.

Keep Flyin' Jim.  It'll only get better.
phil Cartier

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
At the NATS last year they were video taping some of the combat and doing interviews.  One videographer asked for an interview after a Speed Limit match that lasted a long time.  I have her the spiel about competition and meeting a lot of people at out of the way places. Then she asked what I liked best about it. Took a few seconds but I said "control line combat is about the only thing you can do that will get you really high on adrenaline, just like the match I'd been in.  It's just about the only way you can get that much excitement and not risk your life.

Keep Flyin' Jim.  It'll only get better.
Oh yes!!!! I'm hoping to order some of your cores and covering soon!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here