News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shocks with flying lines Spectra vs cable  (Read 1543 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shocks with flying lines Spectra vs cable
« on: July 30, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
Guys,
Just curious since the Combat fliers have used Spectra line the longest, do you get static shocks from them like you can get with cable steel or solids?

Best,   DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Shocks with flying lines Spectra vs cable
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »
In this old man's thinking Spectra should not get staatic shocks unless the air is damp or high humidity. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »
In this old man's thinking Spectra should not get staatic shocks unless the air is damp or high humidity. D>K

In this old engineer's thinking that sounds very convincing -- but I'll believe it when I hear back from the experimentalists!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 04:56:48 PM »
Apparently, according to Professor Google, only if they are wet.

https://www.begintofish.com/does-fishing-line-conduct-electricity/

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »
Guys,
Just curious since the Combat fliers have used Spectra line the longest, do you get static shocks from them like you can get with cable steel or solids?

Best,   DennisT

Dennis, the shocks you might get happen when an electric charge builds up in the air.  Storm clouds can build up a charge by shedding electrons(negative charge) near their tops that work down to the bottom of the cloud.  Apparently this also pulls electrons up to the cloud when the difference in charge builds up "enough" and the electrons in the cloud travel down to the ground, temporarily neutralizing the charge differential- a lightning stroke.

Something similar happens when a CL plane moves through the air.  Electrons build up on it and travel down the lines.  When enough build up they eventually jump to your hand, wherever is close enough and gives a shock.

The cure is to wrap bare wire around the hand grip and up the handle leadout.  The wire lets the electrons flow down to the ground and prevents a buildup.

The Spectra lines are a good insulator so electrons can't as easily  down to the handle when flying.

I think there is more to it though.  Back in Minnesota it seemed that we had a lot of jolts, mostly when the clouds were moving a lot, the sky was blue, and there was no rain.
Since I moved out to PA I never had a shock.  I think the humidity must build up quicker, draining off electrons and preventing shocks.  The fact that Spectra plastic is also a nearly perfect insulator would also help keep electrons from getting down to the ground and would prevent enough current to make a shock.
from
Don't bet your life on this!  Get into a metal car or building instead of standing around in the open.  Just checking some publications it seems that the "mechanism" seems to be right, but it still is not completely explained.  Ben Franklin was apparently mistaken that a sharp point worked better on a lightning rod.  It appears that a bigger, blunter ball end helps to drain the  charge off before it builds up too much,

Phil C
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:20:22 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here