News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Riley Wooten  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Bob Mears

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Riley Wooten
« on: December 16, 2022, 10:24:48 PM »
With a heavy heart, I'm sharing with our group, Riley Wooten has passed tonight at 10:48. Rest in peace my friend. God bless.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Riley Wooten
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »
With a heavy heart, I'm sharing with our group, Riley Wooten has passed tonight at 10:48. Rest in peace my friend. God bless.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and a guy who was quite a legend.
He came out to one of the Bladder Grabbers and his presense was like having the Dali Lama in attendence with many of the local flyers who considered him a legend.
What a great life he lead being able to make a living from this sport.
God blass him and everyone should thank him for promoting so much fun at a fair price for the hobbyists.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
Very sad to hear, but not unexpected.  He was a great guy years ago when he and Mears Sr. showed up and just pitched right in.

I'll look for the circles in the sky when the full moon comes out!

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 06:45:48 PM »
Lubbock Texas was one of eleven USAF pilot training bases when I joined up.  I requested Reese (Lubbock) and to my surprise, got it. 

I was able to shop at Riley's shop, Flite Line, and buy my stuff directly from The Man during my year there. 

He fabricated kits in the back room (actually about 80% of the store) between customers.

We're sorry to see him go.  He was the chief founder or our event.

Paul Smith

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »

I only check in here at Stunt Hanger every now and then, but when I saw this topic heading, sadly, I clicked the link expecting to read the above.

Riley was one of my youthful heroes. As a youngster ate up with visions of National domination in combat (didn't happen, by the way), he was bigger than life. Hearing tales of him from my late combat friend Bill James, made his image even larger. (Bill thought the world of Riley.)

It was so wonderful to meet Riley at the Tulsa Gluedobbers vintage combat gathering in 2016. I took every advantage I could to sit and just visit with him. He was amazing with so much combat history and experience, and was a genuine good guy.

It was an absolute pleasure and a high point in my combat plane history to finally meet him and visit with him.

Rest in peace, Riley.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »
Rest in Peace Riley.  You  did a bang up job both in flying, and making a small company that held it's own for many years.
I hope you passed in peace!!?

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
Lubbock Texas was one of eleven USAF pilot training bases when I joined up.  I requested Reese (Lubbock) and to my surprise, got it. 
That is probably because nobody else wanted it! LL~

I was a student at Texas Tech '64-65.  I too am saddened by Riley's passing.  He was such a gentleman and one *hell* of a good flier. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 11:42:28 AM »
That is probably because nobody else wanted it! LL~

I would have taken an assignment to Lubbock!  I went to VANCE AFB for UPT (USAF Pilot Training.. )
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 11:44:47 AM »
While I was in Lubbock, USAF people from other bases came to Lubbock for some fun on weekends.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here