News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Resins for combat props  (Read 1807 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Resins for combat props
« on: June 26, 2021, 12:58:51 PM »
A while back I saw some props that were from overseas that were simple construction have several strips of carbon fiber tow and the rest poured resin. They weren't as stiff as full carbon props but they were stiff enough. I thought they were cast with either vinyl ester resin or high strength polyester resin. I know large wind turbine blades are done with high strength polyester, it is tuff stuff. Anyone know about these props and were they made with the vinyl ester resin or high strength polyester resin?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Resins for combat props
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »
Dear Dennis,
our Hungarian Combat team is technically very-very close to Ukrainian team, all the technical resources are common between them, but ours -as they are native Hungarians, and all have double nationality- are competing under Hungarian flag/colors. As I have seen, they use mostly glassfibres, exclusively in epoxy resin. Not for the cheaper price of glass, but not so rigid as the carbon. And the weight does not matter by Combat.
Shall I connect you with them, in a PM?
Are you maintain your eventual Hungarian roots and connections? I am asking after your family name...
Regards: Istvan Travnik (some times TM of Hungarians at a WCh or EChs... )

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »
As Istvan said, they are not just clear resin.
They are well filled with glass, that when properly wetted out becomes quite clear.
MAAC 8177

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
MM,
Who sell this in small amounts and what cure agent do you use?

Best,   DennisT

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 06:04:07 AM »
For 1/2A has anyone tested some of the Urethane resins? There are some that are ridged and suppose to have high tensile strength. Not as strong as Epon but could be close enough for single use props.

Best,  DennisT

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 10:01:51 AM »
Haven't seen any new work on props, who is supplying them?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 08:42:45 PM »
   Almost without exception, all of the "glass" props used in combat nowadays come from Ukraine, Russia, Muldova, etc. They all use Epoxy resin and are heat cured. They all contain glass fibers/cloth embedded full length. Some more, some less and some with carbon tow added. There are some that are mostly carbon tow and even some with woven tow or "spread tow". Most of the common widely used ones are glass/epoxy. Some of the venders who sell the combat planes sell them. You can get glass props like those from Bill Maywald by contacting him on FB messenger. He normally stocks F2D and 1/2A sizes and if he can get them, fast sizes. There are a couple of venders who sell hand molded props made in the US but mainly in racing/speed sizes at higher prices.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here