News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: remote needle valves.  (Read 1325 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
remote needle valves.
« on: January 03, 2022, 06:34:48 PM »
I see Dub Jett makes some pretty cool remote NVA's and the OS  are ones are hard to F
find. My question is you will now have 2 NVA's, the remote one and the one in the venturi. How the heck does that work??

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: remote needle valves.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 06:56:08 PM »
Kevin,
I'm no expert in this one, and suspect you are looking way above 1/2A on this. The spray bar has no needle. Even any of the bigger conversions the needle is remote, and the spray bar is modified to no longer need the needle...either by blanking off the end, or by plugging the fuel nipple and running the line to where the needle once was. Or, in the case of OS, a replacement spray bar with only an inlet and hole/outlet replaces the more traditional needle/spray bar.

I read that some will solder an outlet onto a spray bar with soldered-on bracket to create a remote needle valve, and then place a "needle-less" spray bar in the venturi...either custom built as inlet/outlet, or, again, blanked-off where the needle used to be.
I sure hope all that makes sense...it is the best I can come up with in a blink. I wish I kept those links now!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »
  All of the remote needle valve OS engines had a spray bar that was solid except for the outlet hole. You may find some of those in at Tower Hobbies still, or in some one's junk box. Because they have no needle in them, the OD of the spray bar is a bit smaller. Fox made a universal remote needle valve assembly also, that worked OK, but I don't recall seeing that they made a special spray bar for it.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
I see Dub Jett makes some pretty cool remote NVA's and the OS  are ones are hard to F
find. My question is you will now have 2 NVA's, the remote one and the one in the venturi. How the heck does that work??

The one on the left is what Nelson used on his RV 15's.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
One good source of dump tubes for big engines is old broken spray bars.

This worked GOOD for me.  In lieu of the TeeDee (breakable) front end, I used a Medalian unit.
The dump tube was allowed to free-float, thereby further reducing the chance of crash damage.

I made remotes by soldering a tube over the spray hole of any NVA (here an ST unit).

The other two remotes are Kirn Kraft products.

Paul Smith

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentleman. The engine in question is the Fox 36 VI. Basically I can just use an old needle valve and block off the end.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:08:15 PM »
If anyone is hard-pressed, I've cut a 100 or so fuel inlet bits the fit into the venturi and is held with a nut.  All aluminum, that makes it easier to lock the nut in place.

It's very similar to the OS version which inspired me to make some when they were hard to find.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here