News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote needle valve for os max 32  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Cody bishop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Remote needle valve for os max 32
« on: June 28, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
Does anyone know where I can buy remote needle valve assembly’s for a os max 32combat engine on a blatter I was told to use .15 sized ones for the finer thred I just can’t find them.

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Ensign
Re: Remote needle valve for os max 32
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
Hi Cody,

I imagine you are looking for the O.S. Engines 21181902 #1A/#15 Needle Assembly. Yes they are getting nearly impossible to find. You might try the remote needle from an OS 40LA or 46LA, but honestly I have not tried that. I think that someone was using a needle valve from an F2D engine (not remote) on an OS 32SX.

-Chris

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
the traxxas ones from a car work OK.  You want a fine thread usually smaller needle valve

Not as well as the OS 1A

https://www.ebay.com/p/Traxxas-Hi-Speed-Needle-VALV-Seat-12-Eng-TRA4050/1700528808?iid=332686059287&chn=ps
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
This might not be the quickest method but it works . Go to swap meets ....look for old OS crap rc engines . Check the nva .Look for the needle valve with the skinny knurled knob , this is the one . The fat one will work but the  skinny ones have finer threads .

Most times you will end up with a good remote and probably with a little work an ok sport engine for less than a new nva .

Brad

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Don't waste your time with LA 40/46 remotes. They do not work. RC Swap meets is the place to find the OS 1A 15.  Look in guys junk boxes for pull off carbs. I get them for a dollar or two all the time.You gotta have a sharp eye and be willing to dig but it pays off. Found a guy at the Perry GA swap meet that had 10 NIP, I got them all for $50.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
Dub Jett makes remote needle assemblies in several configurations.  They are not inexpensive but they are very high quality and fine thread, quite a few of the R/C pylon guys use them. http://www.dubjett.com/accy2015.html

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »
The OS needle valve assembly stock # 21283900 for carburetor 1AB-K, 2BK has a shorter needle than the 21181902 for #1A/#15 mentioned beforehand, and is more sensitive to metering. I found it to be unsuitable for smaller engines on bladder pressure such as the 25LA, but it works fine for larger engines drawing higher fuel flow like the N36. I believe that I used them successfully on 32SXs in the past, too, but cannot remember for sure. They have been out of production for years and are hard to find, but worth a try. Below is a 21283900 compared with the 21181902.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:08:35 PM by Chad Hill »

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 06:51:01 AM »
If you are unable to find a fine thread NVA, it could be worth trying some thin walled low pressure bladder tubing. Texas Timers, a free flight supplier, sells tubing that is similar to the pen bladders we used for combat back in the 1960s-70s. They also sell fittings to make bladders with. See "Pressure Bladders" in the left column.

http://www.texastimers.com

The RC combat guys have been hurting for remote NVAs, too. I've read that they have been using the Evolution EVO 046874A, but I have not tried these. Here is a link to an ebay seller:

www.ebay.com/itm/EVO046874A-Evolution-Remote-Needle-Valve-Assembly-TPS-40-46-/401204831082?_trksid=p2141725.m3662.l6403

The RC combat guys have also been using the NVA for the Magnum XLS25:

http://rccombatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=132214
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:40:40 AM by Chad Hill »

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:04:28 AM »
             The stock OS needle for a up front application for the LA .25-.46 works just fine. I first saw Phil Cartier using them and was quite surprised. Of course I had to try it myself and sure enough, worked fine, no leaks, good adjustment. However, this wasn't a remote setup and would take some configuring to make a bracket. A Cox 128 TPI makes a terrific remote needle. You obtain a wheel collar, remove the set screw, drill out the threads for 1/8" copper tubing and solder a small stub about 1/2" long into the thread area you drilled out.File or sand to remove plating from both ends of collar, insert spraybar lining up the hole with the copper stub you just soldered in and solder the spraybar on the ends of the wheel collar. Just a tip, don't clean the area around the hole in the spraybar as you don't want solder entering it. Now all you need is to fabricate a bracket and you have a needle now better than any commercially available one with great adjustment. I did this with my LA .25's using VA engine spraybars and needles. I use the same setups for 1/2A as well for my Norvel's, Shuriken.

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
That's a neat idea, Ken. Another up front rig that I have tried which works well with a bladder on an LA25 is Doug Galbreath's Rossi type NVAs, although they are not remote (unless you fabricate some kind of mounting bracket).  Not sure if they are long enough to fit across a 32SX venturi:

http://www.the-printer.net/DookCat.html

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
          Chad, one thing I didn't mention is that I acquired the Cox assembly from the postage stamp product backplates supplied in the Cox plastic models. I had quite a few of these laying around, However, they can be a bit deceiving at times due to Cox offering other threads. I keep a KK needle valve on hand just to check the spraybars. Texas Timers sells just the spraybar and needle but I haven't visited the site in quite some time and I know certain assemblies were getting low. They press right out of the backplate. Mike Londke mentions how the remote setup from the LA series don't really work well. I agree fully with that statement. I feel the problem lies in the taper of that needle not the threads. The setup is actually well engineered and it doesn't leak with the internal o-ring. A few years ago you were able to contact OS directly as they wanted inquiries in regards to their products. I suggested that they offer a taper like the up front .20-.40 FP needle but for the remote needle setup. I received no response after 2 e-mails. Now they don't accept such e-mails without a big electronic run around. 

The FX.25 has a metal backplate with the needle holder cast into the backplate. I ground that off and smoothed it out and I was going to offer the needle assembly and muffler at our R/C field we fly at. Now that I'm looking at that needle, it's taper is longer than that of the LA assembly. I haven't given it a go but it might be worth a shot as I know this engine is used as well meaning those assemblies could also be a source.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Wasn’t Yaro coming out with a fora like needle valve for asp 28 that he sells? 

I don’t know if it’s long enough but it looks wee made. 

They are low profile and you should never break it. 

Also on all the remotes with a bladder I have been told to run them in reverse from normal as far as inlet and outlet go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 08:10:19 PM »
All the LA and FP engines appear to have the same size and dimension carb boss and usually interchange venturis.
The Fora F2D 15 needle valve assembly installs with a nut so the engines can pretty easily modified to fit.  Use 118 angle drills if you can find them.  Otherwise standard drills will work.
The fuel inlet side is under 1/4 in., so a single drill will do it.  Clamp the block in a vice, preferably unassembled.  Use an electric hand drill and take light cuts.  Make sure the drill is square to the case. Go in until the needle valve hole is centered.  That will leave about .050 material to hold the needle valve body in place.

On the needle side the nut is bigger, about .270.  Start with a quarter inch drill and then finish off with the larger one.  The nut will end up buried in the case with about .050 of material supporting it.

Stick the nut in the left side.  Spin the needle valve body in until it starts to snug up.  If the fuel feed is not in the right spot, sping it out, keeping one finger on the nut so it doesn't turn.  Reposition the nut a flat or two at a time until the NV body ends up where you want it when snugged down.

Make a needle keeper from a short piece of tubing, 2mmX 5mm is about right, about 5-6mm long goes over the needle.  It will squish and will keep the needle from turning after starting.

On a 25 the F2D valve has about 1/3-1/2 turn between rich and getting too lean on a high pressure bladder.

The assemblies are available from aerohobby.ca, and cheaper and more expensive prices are available from Yuvenko, Technohobby, and other European sources.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here