News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: recovering Russian F2d's  (Read 2036 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
recovering Russian F2d's
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »
I have some broke F2d's and Some "russian" mylar.  Done this in the past, and not so happy wiht my results. 

What do you guys use for glue?

Any other tips? 

dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: recovering Russian F2d's
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
I've never tried Russian covering.  I guess you're saying it's not sticky?

I patch mine with American FasCal, which is very sticky. 
I'm "happy" with it, or as happy as one can be while patching a broken plane.
Paul Smith

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
I used a local contact cement (LaPage's) back when building my own.In a pinch Balsa rite or even Scotch 77 sprayed in a container and brushed on has worked.Any good contact cement should work.

Pull the covering as tight as you can and stick it down with an iron.Some of the mylar coverings don't shrink all that well so this is really important.My wing tips would allways suck so I started to use Monocote or Solar film for these.Back in the "high" production days I found that putting the cement on the day before allowing it to gas off and dry worked.The heat would activate the cement it and stuck just as well.This made a much neater job as the cement wouldn't drag on the covering and smear .Less smell also.

Also some of the mylar seemed to have a directional shrink pattern,not all but some.Make a test piece and see if it shrinks in all directions equally.

Hope this helps,
Brad

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
Maybe we can recover 'em a little easier if the shutoffs work. 

But, thus far, the search parties have gotten the job done.

Paul Smith

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:41:54 AM »
I used a local contact cement (LaPage's) back when building my own.In a pinch Balsa rite or even Scotch 77 sprayed in a container and brushed on has worked.Any good contact cement should work.

Pull the covering as tight as you can and stick it down with an iron.Some of the mylar coverings don't shrink all that well so this is really important.My wing tips would allways suck so I started to use Monocote or Solar film for these.Back in the "high" production days I found that putting the cement on the day before allowing it to gas off and dry worked.The heat would activate the cement it and stuck just as well.This made a much neater job as the cement wouldn't drag on the covering and smear .Less smell also.

Also some of the mylar seemed to have a directional shrink pattern,not all but some.Make a test piece and see if it shrinks in all directions equally.

Hope this helps,
Brad

Thanks brad, I will try contact cement (weldwood).  THe first one I did was a gooey mess  I used UHU foil and foam glue in a tube. 

The stuff shrinks funny,  A little heat it shrinks a little , a little more and it shrinks a LOT.  I will be glad when it is used up.   

Dave Siegler
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »
Dave,
  If you are just doing a couple of rib bays try taping the edges with strips of fascal to hold it in place .After you get it attached with the iron try the heat gun gently.If the model is in pretty good shape and could be used for front line duty again consider doing the entire wing panel.They tend to be stronger and look better this way.

Brad

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »
It is a total recover job.  Junk Tom left me.  Ever wonder why he always has nice equip?  Fixed but still in good physical shape.  The mylar is the thick red stuff, real stiff.  I will have to shag up some FasCal.  Where can I get some wihtout buying a 500 foot roll?

Dave

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:59:40 AM »
Dave,
   Try your brother or any local "old timer" combat pilots .These guys might cough up some fascal for trimming/taping edges.For covering large areas mylar is much lighter (no glue).Tom should be able to get you the Russian stuff,if not that try some of Phill Cartier's SLC .Maybe Phill can tell us if it would work on Russian planes.

I have found dark colours are nasty on F2D planes.Half an hour in the sun and it's warp city.That's warp as in hockey stick not Capitan Kirk.

Brad

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
The SLC covering goes on just fine over open bays on a Euro F2D.  As always, work from the center at the high point and try to get the covering down smoothly so it doesn't require a lot of shrinking.  Trying to shrink out big wrinkles on an open bay wing is asking for warp problems.

Prime any spots where you can't get the oil off with foam-safe CyA glue. 

You can double or triple cover problem areas if you want.  You can even double cover the whole plane with very little weight penalty(about 18 gr.) and make it nearly puncture proof. 
phil Cartier

Offline ALBERTO CABALLERO

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
IF YOU WANT TO COVER OR RECOVERING  ANY MODELWITH MYLAR  THE BEST IS (3M -77) GLUE .
THIS IS WHAT THEY USED IN RUSSIA.

ALBERTO

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »
I build speed limit combat planes that are similar to the f2d ships, just a bit bigger.  I brush contact cement on the t/e, center rib, wing tip and spar.  No cement on the ribs.  I cover them using Phil's SLC covering with light heat.  Pull snug and shrink with a heat gun. Works nice and I can cover a plane start to finish in 40 minutes.  You can see them on the New England Controline Combat website.  Look at this years contest and you'll see plenty of pic's

Brian

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
IF YOU WANT TO COVER OR RECOVERING  ANY MODELWITH MYLAR  THE BEST IS (3M -77) GLUE .
THIS IS WHAT THEY USED IN RUSSIA.

ALBERTO

3M-77 is not fuel proof, and tends to dry out after a year or so and lose adhesion.  I used it for many years before I found something better.
phil Cartier

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 07:11:26 AM »
Phil,
The stuff you found better than 3M77 is what?

I'm going to try the double covering idea but every time I think about it I have this image of a wrinkled up mess.  Time and patience will tell.

Thanks,

Lane

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
The better stuff is the SLC covering I've been peddling.  The glue sticks well, is fairly fuel proof, doesn't age significantly and can even be repositioned.  It also is pretty forgiving for double covering.  It tends to not collect big bubbles like Monokote does, and if you do get a bubble it can usually be ironed out by holding the iron so it heats a path ahead of the bubble as you work it towards the edge.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:09:27 AM »
Phil,  should have used your SLC years ago.  I have now covered five airplanes with it.  One is painted with auto motive white.  I will be posting pictures some where of the ones that didn't get painted.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »
The Russian covering is hard to beat for strength.

Chad Hill

Offline Wayne Foster

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »
Hi Chad,

What do you use for glue to hold the Russian Covering down.  We missed you at Huntersville last month.

Wayne
Wayne Foster
    AMA 959

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:54 PM »
Hi Wayne,

I had truck problems and couldn't make Huntersville. Congrats on your second place finish. Mack uses Balsarite when he recovers with Russian stuff. I have used it to re-attach old Russian covering that has come undone and it works fine, but be careful around the foam because it can melt it. Brush two coats on the wood only. It's fuel-proof, too.

Chad

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here