News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recommendations for classic combat wings to kit...  (Read 4151 times)

Offline beercamel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Recommendations for classic combat wings to kit...
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:31:40 AM »
I am approaching retirement...  I have had a long career of Tactical military aviation and commercial aviation.. I owe my career to model aviation..
I am considering using some of the assets I have to begin manufacturing a series of classic combat wing kits for people who appreciate the old school, basic flying we used to do in the ‘70’s and 80’s..  What designs should I include in the lineup?
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Recommendations for classic combat wings to kit...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:50 AM »
Voodoo, Sneaker , Combat Cat ...... So many designs so little time .

Brad

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:35:26 AM »
Raunchy, Big Iron, Nemisis, Monoboom, Sneeker, Voodoo, Sweet Sweep, Super twister, Vampire, ....those are just a few of the really popular ones in the old Fast combat days. There's plenty more, but those were some of the top ones. http://www.controllineplans.com/   Baxter has a great supply of plans. I'm trying to have one example of each in my museum.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Congratulation on your upcoming retirement  H^^ .  Please don't think me wrong or rude because that is not the intent of my question; there are some absolutely wonderful, creative designs out there but have you considered your market??  Is there a market??  I ask ...... who's going to build'em and more so, fly'em??  ???  Honestly, I respect folks like Bob Mears, Chuck Rudner (whom unfortunately, I've never had the privilege of meeting but have read so much of them and their accomplishments) and Brad.  In nearly every photo and YouTube video of events here in the states, short of the European clubs, I just haven't see but a handful of "young" people (20 - 40 years) flying.  :(   I do hope I'm wrong and just haven't seen enough photos or maybe it's just me living here in central Florida not getting out enough  :(   Please don't blast me .... I honestly don't know   :-\

Jim

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
I built a bunch of combat models when I came back to the hobby. Only flew one or two as I usually fly over asphalt. That didn't mean much to me as I had a ball rebuilding models that I had flown and enjoyed. Eventually all of them were given to others that could use them and so at least they are being used for their intended purpose......Fun.
Don't worry about who will use them I think that memory plays a large influence in our purchases.

Dennis

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
If you did a Super Satan kit I would buy one.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline john knoppi

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
Hi Beercamel, i was fast combat flying a foam wing in the late 70's to earlier 80's called the scissors and my dad and i converted one to fai combat using a st g 15, and with some help from howard rush on the tail making it bigger it flew great, i think we even have a set of plans if your interested in them, thanks john and yes i would be interested in your wings too

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
Mongoose, Big Iron, Nemisis, Sneeker, Voodoo from new good wood are on my list

And yes Virginia, H^^ I do have a few of the last Mongeese from BH but they are all sold out now
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
Mike,
  Lazerworks has a short kit of the Super Satan. It is very accurate of version 12. Which is the magazine version. pictured is mine from said short kit.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
I built a bunch of combat models when I came back to the hobby. Only flew one or two as I usually fly over asphalt. That didn't mean much to me as I had a ball rebuilding models that I had flown and enjoyed. Eventually all of them were given to others that could use them and so at least they are being used for their intended purpose......Fun.
Don't worry about who will use them I think that memory plays a large influence in our purchases.

Dennis
Yeah, you're right :)  Guess I was jus' feeling sorry for myself in a way cauz' I can't get any of the local youth to fly much less build!!   :-\  At any rate, I really do wish you the very best in your endeavor!!   ;)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:46:06 AM »
Mike,
  Lazerworks has a short kit of the Super Satan. It is very accurate of version 12. Which is the magazine version. pictured is mine from said short kit.

Tom
Thanks Tom.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
Tooth Pick, The Demon anything but the Winder.

MM

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
One that is a great plane but not heard of much because of the area I lived in.It was called the Challenger by gordan Delaney. I know he has full size planes for this plane.

Gordan

By the way I live in Utah great place to live if your not into flying Contest.

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:36 AM »
Tooth Pick, The Demon anything but the Winder.

MM

And I say kit the Winder! Awesome plane but the old sterling kit is a real POS. Here's mine.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Combat Cat!!!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here