News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:41:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Patton's model supply Exterminator  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Patton's model supply Exterminator
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
I was given a lot combat stuff to sell for a friend who can't fly anymore due to health . In the mix of kits and engines and ready to go combat wings, was a kit of the exterminator by patton's model supply. Says on the box art 1965 champion of this and that mid western area contest. Trying to figure out how much to sell it for since I am unfamiliar with this design. Is it a collectable bit of combat history?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Patton's model supply Exterminator
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
I can give you some history.  It was designed by Dan Patton from Cincinnati.  He was active in the late 1960s and a mentor to John Gladfelter and others.  He took combat competition seriously and was fun to be around. I think he dropped out because of family pressures: his kids had serious health problems. 

The Exterminator had a diamond airfoil, which was easy to cut, but aerodynamically substandard. 

Dan used nitrobenzene in his fuel and put it on himself, thinking it had sun radiation ameliorating properties, so I doubt if he still exists.   
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »
If the Exterminator is the plane I'm thinking of, my old buddy from Dayton, Gil Reedy, was flying those when we met.  They had two identical motor mounts  that were thinned and extended to the tail. The mounts clamped on top and bottom of the wing by two through bolts, one for the bellcrank, and the motor mount holes and then pinched at the tail to form hold a mount for the stab, also bolted in place.  They were kinda small, heavy and didn't turn well. He switched to bigger foam planes the  year after we met.

A kit in good condition might interest a collector, but probably not anyone interested in building it.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
I sure remember the old nitrobenzene "cherry pop" fuel from Dayton and/or Cincinnati.  It was banned and disappeared shortly after it's advent.

I don't know of anybody who died of it.  Like other such substances, it's gone from the market now and we are doing OK with 10% nitromethane.
Paul Smith

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
in 1968, I won fast combat in Oregon somewhere, Albany I think. I used a voodoo and fox and some concoction of fuel a speed buddy brewed up. It had nitrobenny in it and after the kill was a collision and my fuel squirted on the fox (which of course was over heated) igniting it and the dry field. Bob Stolic tried to put it out with the big tank on wheels but it only drizzled out. We then did  the Monty Python thing...."RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here