News:

• May 17, 2024, 09:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Voodoo  (Read 4350 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Voodoo
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
           I've always wanted to build a Voodoo so here it is. It will be powered by G-21 .35. I extended the booms and provided a internal bladder compartment. A cool plane and I hope to fly it soon. Recently, I just came across some real nice 1" solid leading edge and I knew it was destined for this build. It's been quite fun and I may just have to use the red silk I've had laying around. All in all I truly enjoyed building this plane and looking forward to flying it. I recently had my Demon out and it's quite a smoker as well with a Fox MK3 on the nose. Ken

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: New Voodoo
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Yep, they're nice planes.  Riley really hit it right on the simplicity issue.  Just what you need to fly combat.  No more no less.

I see you included the proper double shear mounting of the bellcrank.  One other point that combat flyers added was a single continuous wire for the elevator hinges, not two little wires.  It needed tail weight anyway and the single wire gave you a fighting chance of still having control if somebody clips your flipper.
Paul Smith

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
                             Paul, thank you for that tip on the hinge. I will certainly use that. Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »
Hi Ken,

Looks like long booms  ?  Nice.

Frank

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
                            Hi Frank, yes the booms were extended. I bolted the engine on the other day and I was seriously hoping it would either balance or be tail heavy. It actually nosed down. I'm not quite certain on how to get rid of any weight upfront. I didn't have the pushrod or horn on the rear. The hinge pins aren't epoxied in and glassed over either. I noticed when Larry Scarinzi was out at the field in the summer that he had a Super Satan with him. He had the booms sanded and tapered all done in clear. You can see the laminations of the ply and I really liked that look. I decided to go that route myself and tapered them a bit. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
Back in the day I think all my combat wings balanced on the leading edge.   Made for easy storage of the wings ready to fly.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Any pics of the finished model?
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
             Mike, I was hoping to dope and silk the plane. I never did silk and I have a neat stash my father has had for several years. The weather here just started to make it into the 40's last week. I then got a hit to the head and I realized that I'm quite sure I'm outta my mind and I decided to do the Monokote thing. I was waiting for some paint to arrive as I use water based polyurethane made by Nelson paints. I'm quite limited to color choices with Monokote. I was going to do something with Phil's SLC and apply red tips with clear elevator and tail booms. Just as I was ready to get going, many daily events put it on hold. As it sits right now all fillets are complete and it's in barebones waiting for covering. I hope to have this finished in the next two weeks and certainly a photo will follow. Thanks Mike it will light a fire under my rear end. Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:10:03 AM »
Ken,
You are a craftsman-  I vote that you do the silk !

Lay it out( look at the grain), cut oversize, remove and mist wet. Lay over the wing half, stretch and pull out the wrinkles and dope down  the l.e , t.e, center section 1/2, then tips. Let it dry some and wisk, no -kiss on dope with a 3/4" camel hair brush that isn't saturated. Don't worry about filling grain yet. Get right to the back side panel half and repeat. That's  o.b. bottom, o.b. top same session. Then go to I.b. and do both same session. I.b. tougher due to leadouts. The key is to start with low shrink  butyrate and stick with it so it doesn't warp. Get qts. and corresponding thinner from Aircraft Spruce or Brodak.

I have a great article from Model Aviation on silking . Send me a PM if interested.

Of course, you'll want to keep this beauty out of the combat arena if you do use  silk ? God, I lost dozens of beautiful silked combat ships in the 60s. Was young, silk and dope were cheap, and I had lots of time.
 Otherwise, money kote it.
Have fun,
Frank

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
Back in the day we were lucky if we had two  combat planes ready to go.   Spent too much time making them look good and pretty.   Waiting on finished photos of the VooDoo.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Russ Main

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:46 AM »
Ken, I found a Double Voo Doo kit at Perry GA swap meet, I understand the bladder system but what is the clear tube you are using as a casing? My brother and I plan to build them both and just have a little fun. The kit is old but everything is there, should we extend the boom also or just use the stock length? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
Go to your local DIY store and look for fl. bulb covers.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »
          I agree with Steve, that's what I used . I found that Home Depot sells them individually. These would be I believe the T-8 fluorescent bulb covers. I found plenty of the T-10's which were in the light bulb section but the T-8's were sold individually in the electrical section at my local Home Depot. I used 3/16" balsa end caps coated in epoxy and I rough the ends of the tube to accept the epoxy as you don't want the ends blowing out prematurely. In the Voodoo I have some concerns due to the tubes flexibility. If the entire tube isn't utilized during the filling process you could expand it breaking the wing. The main thing is making a tube lone enough and insuring that the bladder is all the way to the back of the tube filling and pulling simultaneously. This in my opinion also prevents any funny business as the bladder is depleting. I've had some spin in the tube choking off the fuel supply. Ken

Offline Mark Robbins

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
 :) Born again into flying LOL, first Fox 35 plane I ever built was the VooDoo, I used tissue and all Pactra Aero Glos products. Being a 1/2A pilot before never flew anything that fast, I think I was 14. Well needless to say it was a beautiful ship that lasted about a minute and a half in the air. After that I was hooked. Looking forward to the pics

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
What did you use for the tank tube looks lite and is it fuel proof?

Gordy

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
                         Hello Gordon, I used a T-8 fluorescent light guard protector tube. It has 3/16" balsa end caps and I epoxy them inside and out prior to install. I scarify the plastic where the balsa ribs intersect and epoxy to hold it in place. This has worked quite successfully for me. Ken

James_Mynes

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
A plywood elevator might help if it's still nose heavy. Added durability is a plus, and if it doesn't work out, easily swapped out.

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
Ken,
Thanks for the info. I have always used rocket tubes. But then I have to seal them with K&B epoxy paint. Go ahead and finish your Voo-Doo. It will fly great for you. You still have to cover it and that will help to move the C/G back. It will turn just fine. Just don`t put a lot of elevator travel in it. You have a good tail moment.

Gordy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
Yep, watch the elevator movement on most of those old combat planes.   My first VooDoo I had 30 degrees.  Needless to say it did not last long.   Max movement should be 15 degrees.  But, then I had a Scarinzi Giant Killer that took about three laps to get up to speed and then it was manageable.   Your VooDoo sure looks good and brings back memories.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
Back in the day I think all my combat wings balanced on the leading edge.   Made for easy storage of the wings ready to fly.

I presume that you had the storage issue because the CG ensured that you would only jeopardize the aircraft in one round per contest. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
Ken,
I have always used rocket tubes. But then I have to seal them with K&B epoxy paint.

I ironed FasCal on the inside of the bladder tubes, one reason why it took me so long to build an airplane.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
Howard, Howard, Howard. LL~ ~> ~> ''

Gordy

Advertise Here
Tags: