News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old rules question  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Marvin Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Old rules question
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
  Was there ever a time that ONLY TWO planes were allowed in a combat contest??? (two planes per contest of which one could be flown per match)

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Old rules question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
From the 1955-1956 AMA rulebook:

18.  CONTROL LINE COMBAT REGULATIONS

18.4 NUMBER AND TYPE OF MODELS. Each contestant shall be permitted a maximum of two
       models in this event, but only one of these models may be used in any one flight. To
       be eligible for enry, each model must be capable of attack and evasive maneuvers and
       have no intentional sharp protuberances or devices for the purpose of cutting streamers.

18.6 NUMBER OF FLIGHTS. Each contestant will be allowed two attempts for official flights.
       Unofficial flights described below will not be scored as an attempt and contestant shall
       be allowed an additional attempt.

The matching and scoring were similar to the East Coast Formula GX and the points for both
flights were totaled.  There was also descriptions of calling more than two contestants to
the circle and the first two airborne flew the match, while the others were not charged with
an attempt or an unofficial flight.

It then goes on to describe another type of event:

ELIMINATION COMBAT

18.16 If the contest time and facilities are adequate to allow all contestants to compete
        in the event, the Contest Director may elect to hold an "Elimination Combat Contest".
        All combat rules and procedures previously listed shall pertain to this event except
        where changes are noted below.

18.17 NUMBER OF MODELS.  One model shall be allowed for each official flight flown.

18.18 NUMBER OF FLIGHTS.  Each contestant will be allowed one attempt for completion of
        one official flight plus whatever additional flights are required to complete the
        elimination order.

18.19 SCORING.  "Cut" and "Kill"  points will be used only to determine the winner of each
        match and will not be accumulated.   .....  (Further description of elimination and
        number of rounds)

It seems to me this means that you can use more than two models in "Elimination Combat".

So, to answer the original question, it seems that there were two types of combat and
one had a two model limit, while the other did not.  

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
  You cheated!!!   You went and looked it up in the book!!!   I was going to have some fun!!!  Spoil sport!!

At one Nats I went to they enforces the "Two planes per contest" but ran Elimination type contest.  That got the rule changed the next cycle.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Now I know why the Flying Eagles had everybody and his brother working on Hap Wakefields plane after a match.  This was at my first control line contest in Stanley KS.   A little airfield west of town.   Dad set and watched the combat until the end.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:34 AM »
The two airplane / two match system was in use into the early 1960's.  At the famous Michigan State Meet they used to have every event in the AMA Rule Book, Junior, Senior, and Open separate, and all on one day at the Ford Test Track. 

They used the AMA Rule Book verbatim, including the infamous "points" system.  Altough the results weren't all that valid, you only needed to have two planes and fly two matches.  That got the numbers up and let combat flyers fly other events.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here