News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: nylon covering  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
nylon covering
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »

My silk scarf post didn't do too much as only Doc Holiday responded, so I am gonna try nylon covering, where can I get some of it? I am wanting to use it on a combat model that I will fly in stunt.

Thanks a lot, oh I have heard that parachute material is good also, so where can I get some of that too??   Again thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: nylon covering
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Gil,
Skyloft is a Nylon based covering material, first available from Southern RC, then Dave Brown and now Ohio Superstar.  It is very strong and inexpensive but I can tell you from personal experience if you sand into it, it will start fuzzing up and can get very frustrating.  It will work and back in the days of 2 stroke pattern popularity a lot of people used it with good results.  I would suggest testing it before covering an entire airframe.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
Gil

Try Dharma for colored silk scarfs  most will be 8mm slightly heavier than the China silk 5 mm stuff...but the good news is the tighter weave actually needs less dope to fill

https://www.dharmatrading.com/scarves/silk/habotai-scarves-8mm.html?lnav=default.html

If you do not desire some unique Asian colored pattern ----Dahrma sells China silk

https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-fabrics.html

Silk Habotai Fabrics
Also known as "china silk" this is the classic silk fabric you see used in all kinds of projects. We carry a wide variety of weights and widths.

My wife is a nut case sewer/ quilter and we frequently compare notes on store bough FABRIC... some is good to go and some is just worthless

Also explore Larry Renger's cool idea of light plastic OVER silk or Poly.... you lay down tight silk, or poly span, or Tissue and then cover with Doculam or SLC for a composite that does not require heavy dope layers and is MUCH stronger than the single doped covering...win win and nearly look like a silk and dope finish
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »
Gil
Also explore Larry Renger's cool idea of light plastic OVER silk or Poly.... you lay down tight silk, or poly span, or Tissue and then cover with Doculam or SLC for a composite that does not require heavy dope layers and is MUCH stronger than the single doped covering...win win and nearly look like a silk and dope finish

Just posted this on 'Paint and Finish".  SLC over Dacron.

Ara

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »

Fred & Ara, I sure do thank y'all for the info, remember keep those cards and letter's coming.. y1 <=
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline bobsrc

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
A lot of fabric stores carry rip stop nylon in different weights and colors.  It's worth a try.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Here's how my father did it in the mid 60s.
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
Try looking at rayon or polyester dress lining from a fabric shop.  It's generally somewhat heavier than silk, but takes less dope to fill.  I used it on one plane quite a few years ago.  It took about 8 coats of clear before I was done, but it still had a rough surface.  Sanding it with 320 and then 400 paper made it real smooth.  One additional coat of clear and it was reaally glossy.

I wet covered it, pulled it tight and smooth and the dope pulled it up tight.  Polyester will heat shrink some so you can be a little sloppier in application.

The film/fabric trick works too.  Actually, most paints, including dope will stick well to lightly buffed film and eliminate the need for the fabric. 
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
I use the SLC over the base fabric.   Don't seal the fabric before applying the SLC.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »
  My silk scarf post didn't do too much as only Doc Holiday responded, so I am gonna try nylon covering, where can I get some of it? I am wanting to use it on a combat model that I will fly in stunt.

Thanks a lot, oh I have heard that parachute material is good also, so where can I get some of that too??   Again thanks a lot...

True parachute material weighs 1.1oz.per square yard.I have never seen this available at local fabric shops. I  am a FAA senior parachute rigger,so I'm supposed to know something about this. The stuff fabric stores sells is much heavier than parachute material. Have no idea what it's used for but it ain't parachutes!

We haven't use 1.1 Oz fabric for construction of new canopies in over 30 years. Today we use much lighter, thinner and stronger fabrics without those stupid squares imbeded in it

A very good place to buy parachute fabric is Para Gear.

Sorry my stupid smart phone won't allow me to post their URL.so Google Para Gear  Equipment company and look for Raw Materials

Blue Skies........Tim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here