News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New MACA site  (Read 1305 times)

Offline James McKinney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
    • MACA Website
New MACA site
« on: June 23, 2020, 01:14:20 PM »
https://macasite.org

Hello! The Miniature Aircraft Combat Association has a new website. Membership is down this year significantly because our normal contest schedule has been interrupted. If you fly combat or you have an interest in helping support the sport, head on over and join. You can also catch us on https://www.facebook.com/groups/flymaca

-James

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: New MACA site
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
For what it's worth here is my MACA experience:  Not too many years ago I decided to join MACA after a very long hiatus.  I found a mailing address for the MACA contact and sent in my dues and membership form.   I waited, waited, waited, didn't hear anything.  Finally the check was cashed, and then still waited, waited, waited.  Was expecting a newsletter or some sort of communication but never even got an acknowledgement of sending in the dues payment.  Sometime later I ask another combat guy about this, and the reply was..... "oh, everything is on facebook."  It would have been nice to know that since I don't subscribe to facebook and never will.   

Offline James McKinney

• New Pilot
    • MACA Website
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
Mike,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I can tell you that I've been involved with the SIG for many years now and I don't recall ever leaving an email unanswered. If that is the case I do apologize.  We are trying to improve the "bang for your buck" so to speak, but it isn't easy. Newsletters are next to impossible these days because we just do not have the content to produce one. Most, if not all models are RTF and the engines come ready to run out of the box. Contest reports and photos are nice, but someone actually has to write them, take them, and send them in. We have taken that content, pictures and videos, and made them available to members only on the new site. The gallery, forums and files sections specifically. In our files section we have MACA news archives available from '74-08, various control line plans, and a complete list of NATS winners from '52 - '07. Next year we are working on a raffle, one entry per membership, prize to be determined. We created a facebook group because almost everyone involved uses it and we couldn't get ANY participation on the website. We've circled back to having a web page just for folks that refuse to engage in other types of social media, and to possibly introduce our sport to more people. The bottom line is MACA dues go directly to supporting control line combat, specifically the NATS and Team Trials. It is expensive and time consuming and the only way we keep our participation levels up in Muncie. Everyone that flies competitive combat greatly appreciates the contribution from our members, whether they are actual participants or just joining to help keep the sport around.  If anyone has questions or concerns they can reach one of us through email at macacombat@gmail.com(membership) or macaontheweb@gmail.com (website/anything else)

-James

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
Well said James. And I might add, SIGS are all that AMA relies on for numbers. SIG's are just that. Special Interest Groups. When you renew your AMA license it is a general aviation license. SIG's are the only recognition each of us have. The more members of a SIG, the more weight we have with AMA. Many of you recall when we flew the Nats if a bean field. Finally just got some decent grass. Due to our SIG membership the last several years got us a specific combat site, with concrete pilot circles, our own crappers so we didnt have to go to the stunt circles, two judging tents, the room in AMA headquarters to hold the F2D meeting, more support for our combat world championship teams, and more. Plus we have had our best Nats ever the last several years due to ability to compensate some of the judging. So your MACA money is well used and appreciated. Your MACA officers put all of this together and see how good our SIG is. Unfortunately we probably dont get that message out well enough or often enough. But our SIG is strong, and important, and successful. If the SIG dies out, unfortunately so will we. If your not a member and have ANY interest in combat, please support MACA!
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
Hope the site is right as I just sent money thru PayPal.   Can't remember my login details as I can't find them in my records. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
I'll second or fourth James and Bob on this.  Having been a member, usually, since 1974, or whenever, it's always been very helpful, as best we could make it.  I remember photocopying the news letter(300 or so) on the machine at work, after quitting time.  Did that 3-4 years, I don't know.  Hershey never complained.  I did pay for paper.

I did take over for Chris Gay after he more or less saved the NATS Combat by getting the flying circles and running it for 3-4 years when attendance was Very light.
I took over and gradually the flyers started coming back.  Especial thanks to Riley Wooten and James Mears for running Fast Combat a couple of years so I could fly.  Two very sharp guys.

Keeping the NATS combat going with a full slate of events is going to be very important in the future!
phil Cartier

Offline James McKinney

• New Pilot
    • MACA Website
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 07:53:34 AM »
Hope the site is right as I just sent money thru PayPal.   Can't remember my login details as I can't find them in my records. D>K

Did you actually join the site? I don't see your name in the members list. 

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »
James and Bob,  Thanks for your responses.  Will take another look at joining up.  Hopefully the new website will suffice for information.

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:45:45 AM »
I'll add something else for MACA members. Any MACA member will get a 25% discount on plans ordered from http://www.controllineplans.com/
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 08:22:44 PM »
I joined maca but the website will not let me into the forum.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
Like I keep saying Mike, it's because everybody knows you.  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here