News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:50:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taken Care of: Model Aviation Screw Up on Combat Report  (Read 1033 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Taken Care of: Model Aviation Screw Up on Combat Report
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »
I got  a call from Jay Smith the Executive editor of Model Aviation.  He'd gotten the info I had sent in and promised to publish in the next available issue:  January 2020.  It will go in the section up front- possibly In the Air which he writes or perhaps In The Air  for AMA happenings.  Anyway, an up front correction.  I thanked him for his quick attention to the problem.  I also offered, as long as I'm doing the Combat blurbs in NATS NEWS, which is now on video, not paper, to do the summary for the Nats issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gotten a couple of calls about the Nationals Report(which I didn't write).  It was apparently stitched together with bits of the NATS News reports.

To correct the error on the F2D Team Selection:

The 2020 USA F2D team is Radik Magzianov, Mark & Chuck Rudner,  with Jeff Johnson as 1st alternate, Aimee Olson as 2nd alternate, with 3rd altternates Greg Wornell and Allen DeVeuve.  Alexandra (Sasha ) Nadein is the Junior Team member. Rylan Ritch will also go to Poland to defend his 2018 Junior World Championship. The CIAM made a new rule concerning diversity and Aimee Olson Bagley is eligible to compete as an extra team pilot due to her female status.

I've sent a correction to AMA.

Thanks to Chuck Rudner for pointing out the error to me.  I was tied up a lot lately and hadn't yet looked at Model Aviation.

Feel free to point people to this post or put it up other places as you see fit.

Phil Cartier
717-566-3810
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:38:31 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Model Aviation Screw Up on Combat Report
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
I've gotten a couple of calls about the Nationals Report(which I didn't write).  It was apparently stitched together with bits of the NATS News reports.

To correct the error on the F2D Team Selection:

The 2020 USA F2D team is Radik Magzianov, Mark & Chuck Rudner,  with Jeff Johnson as 1st alternate, Aimee Olson as 2nd alternate, with 3rd altternates Greg Wornell and Allen DeVeuve.  Alexandra (Sasha ) Nadein is the Junior Team member. Rylan Ritch will also go to Poland to defend his 2018 Junior World Championship. The CIAM made a new rule concerning diversity and Aimee Olson Bagley is eligible to compete as an extra team pilot due to her female status.

I've sent a correction to AMA.

Thanks to Chuck Rudner for pointing out the error to me.  I was tied up a lot lately and hadn't yet looked at Model Aviation.

Feel free to point people to this post or put it up other places as you see fit.

Phil Cartier
717-566-3810

That was very nice of the FAI.  It will be cool to have at least one lady per nation. 
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
That was very nice of the FAI.  It will be cool to have at least one lady per nation. 

I agree, Paul.  In truth, Aimee missed the team by the skin of someone else's teeth. 
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
So is this the F2D deal now?

A team can consist of five people: 3 adult men, 1 junior and 1 woman.  The team score is the total wins of the best three per nation.

Defending WC's (adult & junior) compete as individuals and do not add into team scores.  So a nation could have 7 flyers if it had both champions.

But, if a nation has a woman and/or junior on it's regular 3-person team, they don't get the bonus woman and/or junior.

Thus it would be bad team management to have a woman or junior on the regular team, thus losing the bonus flyers.

So if this is the actual policy, we should have a man-only team trials and a separate (co-located) TT to select the two "bonus" team members.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
So is this the F2D deal now?

A team can consist of five people: 3 adult men, 1 junior and 1 woman.  The team score is the total wins of the best three per nation.

Defending WC's (adult & junior) compete as individuals and do not add into team scores.  So a nation could have 7 flyers if it had both champions.

But, if a nation has a woman and/or junior on it's regular 3-person team, they don't get the bonus woman and/or junior.

Thus it would be bad team management to have a woman or junior on the regular team, thus losing the bonus flyers.

So if this is the actual policy, we should have a man-only team trials and a separate (co-located) TT to select the two "bonus" team members.

No, not quite correct, Paul.

You are correct saying "Defending WC's (adult & junior) compete as individuals and do not add into team scores.   So a nation could have 7 flyers if it had both champions."

You are incorrect saying "if a nation has a woman and/or junior on it's regular 3-person team, they don't get the bonus woman and/or junior."

There is no regulation specifying the gender nor age of the "senior" team make-up. The three-person team can be all junior female competitors if that's what the country they represent dictates. But they will be entered and competing as "senior" competitors. ("Senior team" is my terminology.)

Then, in addition to the "senior" team, a country is allowed one additional flyer that competes as a junior. Age is the determining factor, not gender. Could be a junior age female, e.g. Sasha Nadein.

Then, in addition to the "senior" team, a country is allowed one additional flyer as long as that competitor is a female. Gender is the determining factor. E.g., Aimee if she goes.

Selecting these team members here has always been done by mixing all competitors into flight order irregardless of age (and now of gender) with the top placing junior (after the team is selected) being the junior representative and the top female (also after the team is selected) being the female representative. It is possible in some imaginary F2D nirvana that a team could be made up of five female junior competitors! So be it!

Regards,

Bill

Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Taken Care of: Model Aviation Screw Up on Combat Report
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:36 PM »
My point being this:

If Aimee had actually won a spot on the three-person team, would we still get the bonus female flyer?  As I read it, no.

So a nation is better off having an all-man team and adding the bonus lady.
Paul Smith

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
Re: Taken Care of: Model Aviation Screw Up on Combat Report
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
Had Aimee made the team (top 3), she could "forfeit" the team spot to take the female spot letting #4 move up to the team.  This happened years ago when Mark made the team as a junior.  That let Joe move from alternate to a team spot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here