News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gotcha 460 Mk 4 test run  (Read 1399 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Gotcha 460 Mk 4 test run
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »
I'm starting a new post for this as I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this. I bought this Mk 4 on Da-Bay I think I payed around 40 bucks, so I go out to test run it and had a bitch of a time getting it to start I just thought it was me as I've never started a combat special before oh how wrong I was! When it finaly started I noticed there was no thrust and the smoke from the exhaust was blowing forward so I immediatly shut it off and scratched my head...this can't be right I thought there's no way a engine can start backwards...is there? Then it hit me I reprimed it and flipped it clockwise and sure enough it started on the first flip...CLOCKWISE!!! I bought an engine modified to run clockwise... n~ LL~ Now I have to go searching for a prop...sheesh, anyway on a good note it runs great and I love the sound!  y1

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Gotcha 460 Mk 4 test run
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »
Dwayne, It might be easier to install a new shaft than find good reverse pitch props.   I have a MK IV shaft I think---- somewhere.  You might even give Fox Mfg a call and see if they have spare shafts for that engine.

Bigiron.

PS  how well did it run ---backwards?
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »
Hey Marvin
It seems to run just fine and Zinger has pusher props so I'm going to give that a try first but stay tuned you just might be getting a PM.
Thanks

david smith

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »
I think APC's are limited to a 7-6 and a 9-6.  I think Zinger makes a 9-6 and 9-7.

David  

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »
Sounds like someone took the carb off a carrier special.  I have one that I bought for profile carrier.  It is the Mark IV.  You might contact Melvin at MBS Model Supply to see what props he has as he flies backwards engines.  Just google MBS Model Supply.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »
A reverse rotation Fox!?!
Dats a new one in my book!

Dwayne
The timing on some will let them run backwards but no power.

Turn engine in normal direction , somewhere around when the piston starts up the window in crank should start opening and then close somewhere around piston TDC.

The fox will do this more often then a S.T.
David Roland

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
For years Fox has sold right and left handed crankshafts... they are helpful in events where the plane stays upright like racing and carrier.   If you ever replace the crank let me know.   I would be happy to take the old one off your hands as I am 90% sure Fox has no parts left for their combat motors.
Bob Furr

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here