News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crazy Money  (Read 1098 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Crazy Money
« on: December 29, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »
 Guys I am not putting anyone down with my comments, I just wonder how you feel about spending $4oo+ for a motor with almost no contest to use it in. Then maybe destroying it in the first minute off use. I fly stunt and I see guys spending $700-800+  on a power set up but it last for years. I flew combat back in the 1950-70's and it got to expensive for me back then.   
  Why I brought this up is I saw the guy buying combat motors in the for sale section and he said he bought 6 motors for $? . Are you all very rich or is this just someone who has to have all there is. The flyer is more important that the motor. what is the point in $500 motors
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Crazy Money
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
Eddy,
Your comment is one reason speed limit is so popular. A $25 swap shop engine and a recycled F2D or fast model and your good to go . Foam models work very well also.

I live close to Detroit where two fast events are held annually. It is a labour of love for the locals keeping fast going .Up here in the Great White North fast was last flown in anger back in the 90’s . F2D and speed limit rule up here .

I fly more stunt than combat these days . Speed limit planes will do a decent pattern with a bit of tweaking. Good way to trim a combat model and do a fast pattern !

Brad

Offline Michael Foster

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
Hey Eddy, no offense taken at all.

I simply collect & don't fly the rare ones, only display for me only ;D ;D ;D ;D

At this stage of my life I tend to spoil my self just a little.

P.S. I still have my Cox Peee Wee .020 that I bought when I was 5 in 1960 #^ #^

Mike

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
  I have flown combat since it was anything you could drag into the circle untill fast got to expensive. Later with the Tampa Bay Line flyers we were doing slow ,75 mph and that was fun and I have helped at Huntersville for many years even being the CD one year. Events can get to expensive to fly. I flew FF for 30+ years until you needed the best motor to win and the fun went out of it. Just like combat you might loose the motor in one flight.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 06:56:26 AM »
When Nelson engines came out at the prices of $175 for FAI and $275 for Fast, I thought it would kill combat.

But the opposite happened. Before Nelson you could buy an engine for $50 to $80 and have it reworked by professional machinist to get competitive. 
So the events were in the hands of about five people.  While Nelson's prices were high, they put ready-to-run contest grade engines in the hands of anybody who cared to buy them.
Coupled with Ukrainian airframes and hardware, a person can now step into the arena with bona fide World Champion equipment for as little as $800, but absolutely NO personal building skills required.  A lot of people have bought into this deal.
Paul Smith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Guys I am not putting anyone down with my comments, I just wonder how you feel about spending $4oo+ for a motor with almost no contest to use it in. Then maybe destroying it in the first minute off use. I fly stunt and I see guys spending $700-800+  on a power set up but it last for years. I flew combat back in the 1950-70's and it got to expensive for me back then.   
  Why I brought this up is I saw the guy buying combat motors in the for sale section and he said he bought 6 motors for $? . Are you all very rich or is this just someone who has to have all there is. The flyer is more important that the motor. what is the point in $500 motors
Ed
One thing I see frequently in Stunt is pilots that have no chance of ever cracking the top 10 using "State of the Art" power plants that probably add 5-10 points to their score and have taken out a second mortgage to buy them.  I have absolutely no problem with this if you have the money but to think that it is necessary to be competitive is just wrong.  It might be the edge you need when you reach the top level but it is totally unnecessary to get there.  What gets you there is practice.

Combat is different.  Without the speed you become a target drone and practice is pointless.  Main reason I gave up combat was cost.  With equal equipment it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  If you can't keep up you are just a target drone.

Just my 2 cents and it probably is worth about that much!

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
In my short 64 years I have observed that: Most competitive enthusiasts desire best of best equipment....some try to buy it ---some adapt what they have....does not matter the hobby discipline

Most of us grew up in the " Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" racing world....this did NOT just apply to Drag or Circle cars:
Motorcycles
Sail Boats
Sports cars
Reno full scale airplanes
Tether cars
Super turbo hydrofoils
Jim Walker Fire babies with hot rodded engines on 40~60% Nitro

The list is endless

I suspect the OP was busting on me for my acquisition of 3ea N36C combat engines for $375 a piece back in 2014....

There are many many unobtanium* items in our hobby these days now...... $375 for a state of the art combat engine is not as obscene as $65 for a used McCoy red head 35....

And for those who claim combat can be done cheap in speed limit of F2D....yes it can be...but the top dogs are NOT running ASP $45 21~25 engines.... in speed limit....ask them what they desire to be competitive

F2D is constantly adapting to newer and newer Eastern engines that the FAI restricts exactly like NASCAR restrictor plate races..... a shame really to have to spend $275 + for a Cyclon or Fora to be choked down well below its potential power output....

Speed is competitive, and usually the  equipment is very expensive as is the learning curve
Stunt (PAMPA) is Expensive at the top levels...just a fact...yes Joe Gilbert can win with a $45 Fox 35 and a 100  buck Ringmaster...but few others can...
Scale done right can get darned expensive in a hurry

Same with restoring a 1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville or a 1976 Kawasaki Z1B 900 or a old 1957 Chevy Nomad...

Hobbies can be very inexpensive---- or horrendously expensive....

It is ONLY YOU who can assign a cost benefit analysis to you expenditures.....

I will always send a lot more on childhood grins than I ever spend on my teeth or current cars....

* No way a Prather Pitch gage is worth $450 or a Adjusto jig for over $300....yet when every they are offered the bidding war is fun to watch

what something costs ME is NONE of your business--- and quite frankly I am not interested in your opinion about if I am or am not insane, dumb, ignorant , or stupid.....all attributes I infer from your implication in the OP

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »

"And for those who claim combat can be done cheap in speed limit of F2D....yes it can be...but the top dogs are NOT running ASP $45 21~25 engines.... in speed limit....ask them what they desire to be competitive"

That statement is simply not true
    There are 6 of us in So=Cal who are in the 2019 MACA top 20 for Slow (speed limit) as well as in the 2019 MACA overall top 20. Five of the 6 use ASP (21, 32, 36), Magnum (28,32,35,36), or OS 35 FP for this event. There are several others from other locals in the top 20 who use similar equipment but you get the drift

For airplanes we use old foamies (too Beat for fast), purpose built foamies, or "Fast"  or "speed limit" models sold by:

http://aerohobby.ca/store/https://yuvenko-f2d.com/plane/fast-combat-plane, or http://yuvenko-combat.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=119_122

These airplanes cost around $50 or less delivered to your door if you do a group purchase. These aircraft are rugged, fly great and you can't build one for that, not counting your labor

Some pilots are using F2D airplanes because they like the way they fly or just because that's what they have in their "Repaired" stash. I can assure you, they are not running their latest high dollar 'Super Fora" in "speed limit" You can buy an old used F2D engine for under $100-$150 that will be more than enough for speed limit. Putting an F2D on 60' x .018" lines and limiting the speed to 75 MPH is a serious equalizer.

Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
I've been in and out of the combat game since 1960.

The inability to get the best equipment has generally always been at factor.   

The were a few brief "golden ages" when everybody had a good chance, but they didn't last.

The advent of the ST C35 & G21 was a happy time.  Later on, 1977, when Duke brought out the Fox Mark III.  F2d had some good times with the Cox Conquest, Nelson, and now the FORA.  In addition the the chance of competing in WC, F2D has offered more first rate equipment that runs off-the-shelf than any other event, with the possible exception of 1/2A when the TeeDee was king.
Paul Smith

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:36 AM »
Well Don, you took one thing out of my 10,000 word rant to disagree with me.....cool I don't dispute your club and MACCA 20 notes the many do speed limit on the cheap....in my post I already acknowledged that fact....

"And for those who claim combat can be done cheap in speed limit of F2D....yes it can be...but the top dogs are NOT running ASP $45 21~25 engines.... in speed limit....ask them what they desire to be competitive"

And even tho I do not fly combat, I have many acquaintances in that sport-- so I know one or more with significantly higher cost equipment.....

I never said hobbies can NOT be done inexpensively...I said, many competitors desired to have best of the best and some folks should not be so critical about how ANY citizen spends his/her bucks and for what reason......that is all.....

If you all have good source for Magnum/ASP .21/.25./.32/.36....new in box for under $65, good on you....some folks are happy with $140+ for OS 25III FX.......

BTW Don....show us any photo of your groups Speed Limit F2D field cradles with 5~8 or more Yaro or Yuvenko planes, bladders, and engines all ready to go-----then convince me a weekend of top level competition is really done on the cheap.......

FYI....I do not care how many thousands $$$$$$$$     ...Jeff Rein, Don McKay, Lester Hurry, Bobby Mears, Chris Rud, Richard Stubblefield has invested in their hobby....yes this is me name dropping

this post was questioning the smarts of spending a mere $400 bucks for a top line engine....

for fast combat....IMO a N36c and Dawson foam wing is hard to beat....but Ron Columbo is the best I ever watched next to Jeff Dawson....

any way Don...thanks fer trying to keep me honest....I agree it IS entirely possible to be Speed Limit competitive on the cheap

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 11:43:06 AM »
Fred;
      I was not trying to say that some of the top competitors don't spend $$$ on their equipment. I was trying to point out that you don't have to spend big bucks to have fun flying combat or model aircraft of all types. I repeatedly see people complaining about the cost of "being competitive".
     Here's the truth: The average modeler will never be a "top competitor" for many reasons and that's fine. I just get tired of hearing people claim that expensive engines and models is what's keeping them from being a "top competitor" or keeping them from enjoying the hobby. That's like claiming the cost of a set of golf clubs and a couple golf shirts is whats keeping someone off of the Pro golf Tour. A serious combat competitor "someone who wants to make the USA F2D team, or wants to shoot for MACA #1 will come to realize the cost of engines and airplanes is a small part of the budget. The real cost of competing will include hotels, airline tickets, entry fees, gas, and time (lots of time) practicing, trimming airplanes, repairing airplanes, rebuilding engines, etc., etc. There were 60 sanctioned combat competitions in 2019 that counted toward the "MACA TOP 20". The guys at the top of the heap went to over 50 of them. It's not for everybody and that's OK.
     People can have a lot of fun flying "combat" type airplanes at their local club field on a pretty small budget if they want. The "speed limit" event was started for that very reason. You can run any engine you want and any airplane you want as long as it's safe, goes at or under the speed limit, and is flown on 60' x .018" lines.
   The same can be said for Stunt (or PA if you insist). You don't need a RO Jett, a PA, or a Stalker 76 to learn the pattern and compete in beginner thru advanced or even expert at a local contest. You can use any number of inexpensive glow engines or you can get a complete electric set-up for a 35-46 size airplane for under $150 from RSM.
    By all means, if you want a top of the line engine and have the $$ buy it and enjoy. I just don't want newbies or retreads to be discouraged by posts like the OP wrote.
   Enjoy those Nelsons Fred, they are like model engine jewelry or art.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 12:31:49 PM »

Hey Don....you an me be on same page...just our focus vs the OP was askew.....

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
When Nelson engines came out at the prices of $175 for FAI and $275 for Fast, I thought it would kill combat.

But the opposite happened. Before Nelson you could buy an engine for $50 to $80 and have it reworked by professional machinist to get competitive. 
So the events were in the hands of about five people.  While Nelson's prices were high, they put ready-to-run contest grade engines in the hands of anybody who cared to buy them.
Coupled with Ukrainian airframes and hardware, a person can now step into the arena with bona fide World Champion equipment for as little as $800, but absolutely NO personal building skills required.  A lot of people have bought into this deal.

I'd have to disagree, Paul.  When anybody could buy a plane and engine for $400 or so they still couldn't wing contests flying a match at 125-130mph.  Most of the top pilots never aimed for much over 115.  The Nelson could pull a much bigger plane and outmaneuver a smaller, faster in level flight plane easily.  A Fox Mk VI ABC was a pretty good engine and didn't need much difficult reworking and you could get 2 or 3.  But in the end the best pilots kept on winning and the less enthusiastic flyers kept quitting until Fast pretty much died.  Plus combat flyers were never very good at recruiting.  The event really takes flying a LOT of matches against someone better to learn, and that can be hard to come by.

Fortunately, F2DFast is just as much fun, the planes and engines are usually very evenly matched.  From the pilot's POV the action is faster and the planes tighter turning so it's more exciting.  The costs are a lot lower than F2D, but the avid F2D flyers can easily fly it as a warm up event for a full blown F2D event.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here