News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metal Motor mounts  (Read 1044 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Metal Motor mounts
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »
I need to make some metal mounts for F2d airplanes.  The standard ones do not fit the ASP 15 that I am going to use.  I could slot the lugs on the motor, but would rather not.

Also I would like to make a few for OS .25's

I have a drill press, taps, hack saw, scroll saw with metal blades, file and moto tool, but that is all.  No bridgeport inthe basement. 

Are there standards for the thickness of the motor block, width of the motor block and hole spacing on the block?

What Alloy do I need to make thes out of?

Anyone have any good techniques?

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
Re: Metal Motor mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
Hope this works. I've attached a drawing I sent to a friend who machined them for me. I used 6061 and they've worked great. The 1/16" step allows you some adjustment for beam width.

BTW your little brother has been teaching me alot on how to be a better combat pilot.
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:38:20 PM »
Hope this works. I've attached a drawing I sent to a friend who machined them for me. I used 6061 and they've worked great. The 1/16" step allows you some adjustment for beam width.

BTW your little brother has been teaching me alot on how to be a better combat pilot.

Yes, he got me into it too.  I wish he lived just down the street. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
The sketch above looks pretty good.  Don't make the transition from the thin part to the thick part a sharp edge.  It has to be a well-rounded(3/16 radius or so) corner.  Otherwise the mount will fatigue and break. For F2D ships make the 2 mounting holes 1 in.(25 mm) apart.  For heavy pieces like this it is nice to drill and tap one of the set so you don't need nuts.  The dimension from the rear motor mount bolt to the first mounting screw should be at least 3/4 in. if the mount is slotted, 1 in. if it isn't.
phil Cartier

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:36:52 AM »
Glen Lewis here in New Zealand makes the metal bearers ready to fit the asp 15  or any other engine . These are cnc machined. Cant remember a price off hand but they are pretty good. He also has plastic combat tanks and bellcranks and horns. Give him a email at glenn@noclassmac.com

The tanks are so good they are the ones igor is using for his models in the ukraine.

Robert

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:25:42 PM »
Who makes the purple anodized mounts for .25 sized engines for use on FAI RTFs?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here