News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Me Too (Nostalgia Combat designs)  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Me Too (Nostalgia Combat designs)
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »
All these combat history threads and many of the various members here building hangers full of old skool combat designs re-sparked an interest I have for a few years now.  That, and I finally got to meet one of the men I read about in magazines during the 60s and 70s. Mr. Riley Wooten

My history with combat models is late 60s early 70s in Oakland Bay area of California…I sucked but occasionally some other kid sucked worse so I got a new kit or an engine for placing in the top three, I never won a contest

I few years ago I retired for second time and build a very nice model airplane factory and jumped into RC and was quickly bored with the club near me and the grumpy old men with their safety nazi* attitudes and club infighting running off any curious youngster  or older new guy wanting to play airplane. In the two years I was with them I saw 30 potential new members go away after a meeting or trip to the field and never return.  I am bull headed so I gutted out their awful behavior for much too long

I am originally from the Pacific North west and was aware of the Bladder Grabber but never attended. Around 2011 I met Ken Cook on a forum and he pointed me to Jeff Dawson in San Antonio.  I traveled to the 2013 Bladder Grabber with Jeff and there I saw the new state of the art fast combat and was hooked. I started getting equipment and trying to fly some.  But as a C/L guy of one in a 75 mile radius I really only flew occasionally when I went to SA to visit Jeff.  Not practice enough to get anywhere near competent to get in a circle with seasoned fliers. Then a bad motorcycle accident last year left me damaged enough that combat competition is out of the question. But I still flew up to Seattle to see 36th Bladder Grabber 2014 and Ron Colombo’s win. I missed this year but see that Ron won again

Still a passion and I can fly for fun and sport

So I guess this is a nostalgia Combat “Me Too” thread and along the way I have a lot of questions

Combat airplanes I am building and plan to build

Dick Mathis Mongoose-- Black Hawk kits(3) and one original 1975 from Design Group Kit #800
Riley Wooten Demon-- Black Hawk double kit
Plans for Carl Berryman Big Iron would love a laser kit
Plans for Riley Wooten VooDoo would love a laser kit

Need to get:  I am always looking for Laser cut kits and know about several of the plans services. Actually hoping Carsten’s will pop back on line but all I see are delays from the new owner

Wooten Quicker kit or plans
Wooten Sneeker kit or plans
Howard Rush Nemesis kit or plans
Von Lopez Matador kit or plans
Netzeband Half Fast and Jerkline spl kit or plans
Jim Mears Raunchy and slingshot kit or plans
Scarinzi  Werewolf kit or plans
Top Flite Combat Cats (have a double Kitten kit for 1/2a)

Engines  I have :
2 ½ Enya 5224 .35s
2 OS FX .25s
1 Magnum .25
A bunch (6) of Marvin Denny Fox .36 MK IV with MK VI internals, 4 suction and 2 bladder
3 new  Nelson 36c
1 used Nelson 36C with fork mount back plate
3 Fox 35 stunt
1 McCoy .35
1 New in box Fox .36 MK VI
1 new no box Fox .36 MK VI
2 unknown Fox .36 MK VI off ebay look to be highly modified inside and out

Would like to find period correct engines but not too hung up on learning the habits of a lot of different engines

Also SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is  mw~  with me for continuing to change direction and need to acquire more stuff... VD~

Appreciate any hints or opinions and I will ask questions as they come up here or in one of the other vintage combat threads
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: Me Too (Nostalgia Combat designs)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »
Hi Fred!

Welcome to the party, Pal!!

Glad to see another get on board enjoying the fun of building/flying the old iron.

Hopefully you'll find your "happy place" within this niche and get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

If the late 60s and early 70s is your "back then" time... I would suspect the Supertigre G21-35 was the engine you were exposed to the most (and possibly owned yourself).  That so, G21-35's do show up on eBay fairly regularly, mostly in good to excellent condition. 

It is commendable that you would like to use period-correct engines. I too, would like to do so, but I'm willing to fudge a bit if it gets an older airplane design up in the air. For example, I have a Super Swoop kit that looks like it ought to get a Johnson on the nose if I want it to reflect the kit's box art. Well, I only have three Johnson's, and I have plans for them. So, it may get a front-loader Fox Combat Special from 1962, or maybe a Fox Blue Ribbon, or a 35X, or even a 36X on its nose, which is still in keeping with the era it would be flown in, but not be an exact match for the Super Swoop box art.

Something to think about: If you try to use the Fox MK series engines of the late 1970s-on to power a vintage combat plane, I think you're going to find the additional weight of the MK engines will cause the airplane to be quite nose heavy and that, coupled with the increased wing load, will cause the vintage plane to not be its best. (Won't be as responsive and won't turn as good.)  Thus, IMHO, it's best to keep a lighter engine contemporary with the period on the airplanes so when you fly them, they fly as they were designed to fly and not be grossly nose heavy with too much wing load as is the case when a heavier "modern" (Fox MK's, etc.) engine is used.

Also, do you want to go FAST?  Or do you want to enjoy the old airplanes at respectable speeds yet not put your old engines (that you will probably acquire) at increased risk due to high-nitro fuels needed to go really fast?

As for me, I am limiting my old engines to nothing more than 10% nitro and I'm only using castor oil for the old lapped mehanite piston on steel sleeve engines. Even at that, my airplanes typically will scoot along at 105+ MPH which is plenty fast for this old boy.  This is something else that only you can decide what works for you.

In all, it's a lot of fun, and even though my vintage combat airplanes are not 100% "period correct" (so far I've only used iron-on coverings instead of silk and dope as I did "back then"), they are a ton of fun to fly, and the sound of those old engines doing what they were designed to do is frosting on the cake.

Again, welcome... and have fun!!

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
Fred:

Forgot to mention your "wish list".  Barry Baxter has a very good listing of combat plans available at his website.  Here's a link to his site:

http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

Among the airplanes you said you wanted was not listed in your wish list of available in repli-kits, the following plans are available from Barry...

* Carl Berryman Big Iron
* Riley Wooten VooDoo
* Wooten Quicker
* Howard Rush Nemesis 2
* Von Lopez Matador
* Netzeband Half Fast
* Netzeband Jerkline spl
* Jim Mears Raunchy
* Jim Mears Slingshot
* Scarinzi  Werewolf
* Top Flite Combat Cats

Also, about this kit/plan on your Wish List:

* Wooten Sneeker kit or plans

The above is available as a laser-cut repli-kit from Walter Umland's "Built Right Fly Right" cottage industry. Here's a direct link:

http://www.builtrightflyright.com/2014/kits/sneekerkit2014.htm

I have one of Walter's Sneeker kits and it is top notch.

Hope the above helps set the OTC (Old Time Combat) hook firmly in your mouth!

Andre

(have a double Kitten kit for 1/2a)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »
Thanks Andre, I have followed and read many if not all your, Jim Welch, Ken Cook, and several other's posts on this topic here and on the RC control line forum. I also took the time to read just about every thread in the combat forum here.

Ref Barry Baxter Plans service, I have bought several from Barry mostly 1/2a stuff but got the VooDoo and Big Iron plan there.  I see that many of the RCG threads include PDF plans that I copied a few on my computer but haven't taken to large format printer yet.. I have gotten plans from Carsten's Publishing before they went under. I have been following for when the new company may resurrect the publication and plans service. I find that getting a plan from them and a copy of the magazine issue with building hints and process is very good way to try and scratch build

In my youth my dad built and flew RingMasters, Noblers etc and usually with McCoy engines. Eventually the engines (.29 and .35s) found their way onto my meager attempts to build a kit properly.

Dime store or Post Exchange (I was an Army Brat) usually only carried Enya and Fox .35s so I had a few of them. Never had a Super Tiger, Johnson, Veco, or early Fox X but knew about them from magazine test articles

I have no frame of reference to many of these desired planes as far as how they flew with the period engine.

I learned some time back to adjust the front mounts to accommodate heavier than recommended engines, usually because my Enya .35s were quite a bit heavier than the Fox...usually a combination of moving the engine near or recessed into the LE and lengthening the tail booms/fuselage or just using a heavier/bigger elevator/stabilator...always trying to NOT need a ton of lead up front or in the tail.  Plus I learned from building fast combat foam wings the benefits of carbon fiber and bass or spruce spars and other techniques to make a wing less likely to fold in a high G maneuver

Thanks for the link to Walter Umland's, I thought I saw one or two there to build. Recently there has been Riley himself shopping the idea of re-kitting a few of his old designs and Walter has listed what he has now, and plans to expand some laser kits I hope he actually produces, like the Big Iron

I would love to find the old boxes for many of the kits, but I have been absolutely astounded by the prices some old Sterling, Top Flite, Midwest die crushed kits auction for on E-bay.. I would never pay $250 for a $3~$9 old RM S-1 kit. But that is me, I understand some folks just have to  have the exact kit/toy they grew up with for a collection or to actually build.

Well the above is not entirely true...From these threads I got an original Mongoose kit for $60 and the 1/2a Kittens were a tad pricey too..lol

I never used pacifiers in the past. I am new to chicken hopper and uniflo as in 1960/70 we just used standard vent Perfect or Veco tank from the plan recommendation. My dad used to help me open them up to clean, fix. But that is a task now rapidly getting beyond my poor eys and and hand coordination ability.

I have became very good with Bladder pressure tank build and use, starting and needling. In fact I bought a slew of OS remote NVAs, Randy Smith NVAs and all the ST NVS I could find. Thus all my .35s and .36s can be fitted with a good system for high pressure.

I am going to take a stab at Pudding/Vienna Sausage can W/Pacifier humped in the wing. In fact I just ordered some of the Pipette rubber bulbs to try out and going to walMart soon to find pacifiers to try

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john knoppi

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »
Hi Fred i met you at the 2013 bladder grabber, i sent you a pm, might be able to help you out, john

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
Great to have another Combat guy with us Fred. Have a look at these too. You may find some others you would like to build that you didnt even know they existed. I know I've sure discovered some that I didnt know was ever kitted.    https://www.facebook.com/bob.mears.10/media_set?set=a.10201134603751700.1073741827.1367679344&type=3
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
Thanks Bob,

BTW very sorry I did not personally say hello to you last month when I drove up and watched on Saturday.

Ran across Richard S who I have met before, chatted briefly with Riley Wooten and had a set of plans signed, BSed a bit with Lester H had a bunch of folks pointed out to me by Lester but---- fingers were bleeding, contest was flowing well and after a bit I just headed back on my 5 hour trip to Lampasas

I will make it back your way sometime and get the Museum tour and BS with you some when not on a contest weekend

Been a fan of the Lubbock, Dallas, and Houston Texas combat men and their machines for many years. I am a transplant 21 years ago and not leaving this great state.

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:44:47 AM »
Shame you missed the museum. But hope its bigger and better next year anyway. Feel free to stop by anytime though. You dont have to wait till next labor day.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
Not a shame Bob--- as I have always planed to pester you for a end of your work week private visit and BS session and perhaps you helping me re-learn to fly some. I follow most of your posts on several web sites and know that you are much busier than I. One of these day I will contact you and make arrangements that fit your schedule.

I also want to pester you on some of your building and finishing techniques, tank or bladder selection, and other technical aspects of the older designs that is lost on me.

A fine friend from the North West and I are trading my fast combat stuff for some of his vintage kits and engines. Many I have never seen other than in magazine articles, so I will certainly have plenty of care and feeding questions for this treasure trove of antiquity....grin

Hey Bob any chance we can (you I mean) (ok maybe I will help) get a vintage combat day or weekend going in the future?

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 02:32:17 PM »
Sure. Bout any time. Just give me a heads up to make sure I am here. I help my brother with his Funny Car now and then, Go to every contest within 8 to 10  hours, And an occasional Rangers game. Other than that I dont do much ):

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:40 AM »
Question Time

In wing tanks, specifically humped Pacifier versions
1. I assume the opening to place the Pacifier in is a bit over sized and the sharp rim fitted with a proper sized grommet or split fuel line.

2. How much fuel should a pacifier hold without causing false pressure from too large a bulge in the tank?  My mock up Vienna sausage tank and a WalMart Gerber pacifier will only hold about 2.7 Oz loosly in the tank.

2a...This may not be a problem for me as these will NOT be flown in competition. But curious about the amount as it seems to me a 5 min flight needs more than 2.5 oz for most of these .35 .36 engines

How do you prepare your pacifier or pipette bulb or Red cap (I have all three types)?

Do you over inflate to set a size and less pressure?

The Gerber Pacifier I have has considerably MORE pressure than the Large size Fuel line Bladders I use.  I am using monoject 2oz syringes from Tractor supply and the push back is much harder than from the bladder.  (yes Virginia I have a screw in the top to prevent blowing plunger out)

Please feel free to opine on any hints, ideas, and specifics on fuel delivery and tanks for Green head Torp, Johnson Cs, Fox 36 X as relates to uni flo, chicken hoppers, timed pressure, bladder/Pacifier etc

I have recent experience with Bladder for Fox MK VI and Nelson Big block. In the 70s I ran Enya 35s mostly on standard vent and eventually bladder

Bottom line is I have no practical experience with some of the engines making their way to me

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
Most of those old 35's use aprox. 1oz per minute. I'm using the little red caps cause they're cheap and easy. Dont leave them in your airplane when your finished flying, they dissolve and make a mess. Baby pacifiers still work ok but I cant find any just by themselves. And what I do find on a ring is expensive for just a fuel system. I'm also running a bladder tubing thats only 1" long. It seems to do very well and will hold about 2.5 oz. 

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »
Thanks Bob about what I was thinking...

Just for curiosity, because I read elsewhere about pacifiers being lower pressure than bladders,  I don't seem to be experiencing this with the high cost Gerber item. Wondering on pre filling with a lot of air and letting set for a while

I have used red cap on some 1/2a TeeDee powered and they work fine and were relatively inexpensive.  Short length bladder tube may be the answer also...been concerned with bladder sort off as my fast combat plane bladder compartments (in foam or florescent light protective tube) get a bit fat for a hidden bladder tube tank in the demon wing

May try to find some light plastic balls to try ...would love to find over sized ping pong balls

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
I always found pacifiers to be huge pressure. Over kill as far as Im concerned. Stubblefield used plastic baseballs way back in the day. And a pound of epoxy...they always looked pretty crappy, but the idea wasnt bad with a little more effort.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
             Larry Scarinzi showed me on some of his planes what he used to use. I thought it was the coolest. He cut these small bowling pins that were cut  down. They seemed to be made of material similar to ping pong balls. Certainly your not going to find those these days. I just thought it was neat. Ken

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
Thanks Ken that sounds like one I had seen a picture of, probably Larry S plane.  The pod of the crashed plane looked very light weight about like ping pong materiel; at the time I thought it was just an over-sized PP ball (I seem to remember they were made ) but perhaps it was a LS plane with the toy bowling pin cut down

Yep found them----http://www.ssww.com/item/jumbo-table-tennis-balls-W9989/

Bob that is curious (pacifier being very high pressure) but in line with what I am seeing playing with these pacifiers.

Before I ask questions I try to search the forums. Here on SH I found over three pages of threads where pacifiers were mentioned. Quite a few stated they used them for lower pressure and easier to needle.  So now that begs the question, lower pressure than WHAT?

Just out of curiosity I put 2 oz water in the Gerber pacifier and 2oz in a bladder from Phil Cartier's large tubing made up to be two inches long with same fitting and fuel line length. I let both full flow out on the drive way and the pacifier stream went 3 feet further than the bladder and emptied faster.

Non scientific but confirmed to me that the pacifier was higher pressure than the bladders I have been using. I may over inflate a Pacifier and leave it set over night and see if they can be pre stretched to give a lower pressure.

I planed the same experiment with the pipette bulbs...I already know the red caps are lower pressure than both bladder or pacifier and may just stop this wast of time and use them

I bought a a box of 24 pipette bulbs but have not fussed with them yet.

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
Back "in the day" I was able to get pacifier nipples only from Binkey by the gross.  At that time they were not very high pressure which is what you want.....
No idea of what is available today but I always wanted as low pressure as possible and still feed the engine properly.. That makes needle setting much easier.
You can even try capillary tubes to reduce pressure.....
RW

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »
Fred,

Barry's Jerkline Special plans do not look like what I remember the Jerkline looking like.  AMA has accurate Jerkline plans. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
Now you tell me. I have one that I mounted a single strut gear to so I can fly it out of my stooge.  Compared the plans with the magazine article and it was close enough for me.  Did add triangle stock to beef up the fin/rudder.  First flights were minus the fin/rudder.   Need to change plastic tank as it runs lean inverted.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
Thank you gentlemen good info and I agree that low but constant pressure solves a lot of hard tank problems in high G situations.

I have never seen a Jerkline special other that what I read of the old skool designs so good heads up to look at AMA plans also

From what I am learning about my personal building ability and re-learning is this adventure will take a few years keeping me busy for some time.

Because I have no personal experience or memory of many of these aircraft, most will probably not be up to a "purists" standards

That said, I ordered some 5 and 8 mm silk from Dharma to re-learn with. Way back it used to kill me to spend a lot of time on a finish and re-kit it in less than 2 min..  I guess many of us have been there

These planes will probably never see combat and so I plan to finish them better just for aesthetic reasons

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
have fun and do a great job. Make the running gear conservative and you'll be happy with the results.
Send lots of pictures too!

Ken

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Putzing around building what I can on two Demons and a Mongoose and waiting on the post man for various things like some kits and engines from a PAC NW buddy

I asked Howard Rush about his Nemesis and he gave me a hint or two and pointed me to Pat Johnston who promptly laser cut me two Nemesis II short kits for very reasonable price

Since I have several Fox MK VI one Nemesis II will get one on the nose though I doubt I will ever be able to fly it so I may enlist Sean McEntee to give it a trim flight or two

Sure gonna be busy this fall and winter

Still need to buy a gallon or two of good dope and thinner ( I have a small amount of Sig on hand) and need to see if there is a aircraft supply place more local to me than Dallas

Momma and I still have to plan out next years travel and other family events to see if I/we can make it to some of the places where nostalgia combat planes get shown off, played with, discussed, and cussed...

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
Fred, on my Sneekers, I used the Jello pudding cans to hold the pacifier. Vienna sausage cans, also. Empty them first. lol. Tex-Air in Fort Worth is where I was buying Randolph dope. They're now now called Aero Performance.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »
Thanks Larry I think Aero performance was the outfit in Dallas/Ft Worth I was steered to before. I have a daughter in North Richland hills so may give them a call before our next trip up there (3hrs away)

RE the Pudding/Vienna cans....I did one Demon for bladder tube and one with Vienna can. Found Gerber pacifier and tested inside the can; around 2.5 Oz it starts to push against the insides...cool no biggie I can't fly well enough for a 5 min combat match anyway. But still curious how many folks claim it will hold 4 oz of fuel..... maybe Binky pacifiers are different but I don't see how....like I said it is no big deal.

I will most likely use red caps in the pods as I have a lot of them, they are cheaper, and they are a LOT lower in pressure for the same volume

Sure wish the post man would hurry up and let me play with a ST G21 35 and a Johnson CS that are on the way to me... nose section held up waiting on them

If I had the motor templates it would be cool and no big deal but they seem to exist for every engine EXCEPT the ones I have or am getting

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
RSM has the templates for the G21 40/46, works with the 35. Just went and checked with my 35. Same as the 40/46.
Also for the bladder compartment in the RingGoose, I used the clear plastic tube that is used for protecting T8 fluorescent bulbs.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Larry that is the tube I use also as recommended by Ken Cook,  lighter than B55 rocket tubes once you fuel proof them

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »
I promise the rest of my questions will be in new topics so folks don't have to re-read or scroll down so much

Father in Law needed bypass surgery last week so I sent wife to WVA to help her mom and dad
Winter is starting to move from Seattle down to us so I needed to start my Micro Ranch preparations ( service and store weed eater and other equipment, fire wood, yadda yadda...

Thus not a lot of shop time and just starting to receive a few goodies from friends, RSM, Brodak, Pat Johnston etc

The question is coming...preface: I am a young 60 and starting to play with engines about as old as I am.

I need to know what modern fasteners work as I disassemble and clean out some of these... Example a Johnson R/C with cross head screws that are already rounded out by previous owner

Do The K&B , Johnson, Torp, Veco, Fox 36X each have different thread diameter and pitch or will I be able to easily find the right sized socket head bolts to use?

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
All Fox combat type engines that I'm most familiar with (pre-"MK" Schnuerle engines) all use the common 4-40 thread pattern. This includes the Fox 36X.  Length will be the important element: Too short, and they won't stay tightened as good and can deform the head/case, too long and they'll likely bottom, possibly not getting a good seal on the head gasket. Further, too long and they may strip the case threads if over tightened trying to seal the head gasket that won't seal because the long screws are bottoming in the case.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
Most engines use 4-40 machine screws except the Fox .25's I have.   Once you know the size go check out RTL Fasteners if want them in bulk size like 50 or a 100.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
Thanks guys

I have already bought one of the very large SAE fasteners assortments from RTL and got hundreds of 2-56/4-40/6-32/8-32 in all the common lengths up to 2.5"

what I do not have are 3-48 and hoping the Johnson or Torp engines don't need that size

Actually it was this time last year that RTL sent me a Black Friday sale e-mail (I had been a customer buying specific fasteners but never one of the assortments.)  That sale let me get the Standard assortment for 50% off...around $47 and exceptional value if you frequently use those common sizes

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here