News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:44:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building Combat Wing McCoy 35  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Jacob Godsey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Building Combat Wing McCoy 35
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Hello all. I wish to build a combat wing for a McCoy 35. I have flown 1/2a combat wings and was wanting to move up in size. I was considering the Voodoo but I cannot get the plans to print properly. I may do the Scorpion or the Demon. I have one question, the spars for the engine mounts, do these go between the two center ribs and actually go into the plane? If so how far? I could not tell if they went very far or just kinda sat on top. Thanks

Rolla

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Building Combat Wing McCoy 35
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
Would have to see the plans.   But, most had full length spars.   Engine pod would go over the spars top and bottom on all the ones I built.  That is how thin the airfoil was.  The VooDoo was one of my later planes.  First wing was a Sterling T-Square with McCoy .35 Redhead I would fly in the hayfield.   My favorite plane was the Big Iron by Carl Berryman, but it was powered with Johnson Combat Specials.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Jacob,

Barry Baxter has the plans to two great combat design you should consider and, at reasonable prices.....check his combat plan site below:

http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

You will find both the VOODOO and the NEMESIS II listed here.  The VOODOO is a very good plane, but the NEMESIS II is light years better!  My current fleet includes 5 or 6 VOODOO'S built and flying as well as 6 or 7 DOUBLE VOODOO KITS on the shelf.  I also have 3 NEMESIS II's built and flying and they are really great planes!.........TD        D>K    H^^           

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
I checked some magazine article scans on the web. (http://www.thunderbirds.org.au/images_combatplans)

On the Demon, the engine mount ends right at the start of the wing spars.

On the Voodoo, the engine mount ends well before the wing spar.

On the Scorpion, the engine mounts overlap the wing spars.

All three have the 2 hardwood engine mounts connected vertically with wood, either balsa or pine.

All three have the 2 hardwood engine mounts + connecting wood sandwiched between two center ribs.

Hope that helps, at least the web site will give you additional views.

-Chris

Offline Jacob Godsey

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
I actually managed to get the Voodoo plans printed off correctly. This was the plane I originally wanted to build. I have never flown a large combat wing. I have done 1/2a though and I have done stunt planes in the .35 size. I will tame down the Voodoo. I will have less throw and be nose heavy and rich. I will also have wing tip weight.  I know it does not say it is necessary but I feel more comfortable with it. I looked at the plans better and now I understand how the mount works. I just needed to look closer. The speed of the plane is not a problem with me. But I need to get used to the controls. I would rather do a combat wing in the .15 size. I have a couple engines that would work. Or a good .15 sized stunter would be nice. Kenneth Cook explained very well (took some time!) on how to install a bladder tube. It will probably be a McCoy 35 or a Fox 35. I have not decided yet.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Yes you will have to limit the stabulator to a max of 15 degrees each way.  That is on any of the combat wings. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
The McCoy is a light engine.  The Voo Doo was mostly flown with heavier engines, so be sure the balance point is right.  15% of the wing chord back from the LE would be a good place to start.
phil Cartier

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 04:23:12 AM »
Hello all. I wish to build a combat wing for a McCoy 35. I have flown 1/2a combat wings and was wanting to move up in size. I was considering the Voodoo but I cannot get the plans to print properly. I may do the Scorpion or the Demon. I have one question, the spars for the engine mounts, do these go between the two center ribs and actually go into the plane? If so how far? I could not tell if they went very far or just kinda sat on top. Thanks

Rolla

Jacob, the way we built most fast combat wings was to have a 1/2" thick piece of balsa that ran from the spars forward. The 1/2" x 3/8" hard maple mounts where glued to it. This fit between the two center ribs, The center ribs on either side of the mount also allowed a place to attach the center sheeting. The next rib outboard was placed the width of the fuel tank away. Once we switched from pressure tanks to bladders the spacing changed and LE sheeting became in vogue.

But the motor mount setup above, I'll bet 99.9% of the combat wings of the day used that method of construction. You want to size the balsa block to the width of your engine. On a thicker wing the maple mounts may indeed sit below the thickest point of the wing.
AMA 76478

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
I checked some magazine article scans on the web. (http://www.thunderbirds.org.au/images_combatplans)

-Chris

The site appears to have gone away Chris.  I get a "site suspended" notice.

Rolla the VooDoo should use the original short booms for a McCoy 35.  The longer booms were added for the heavier engines.
phil Cartier

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 05:06:19 AM »

Rolla

Jacob, I have a few older design combat kits if you are interested
checkl out my website  http://www.builtrightflyright.com/
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here