Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA 25II  (Read 937 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
LA 25II
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
I just came across this on OS's website.  They've reintroduced the LA 25 with some minor mods.  No blue on the case.  RC of course, but the needle valve is angled back and up for easy access.  The old LA 25 plastic backplate doesn't interchange with the new metal backplate.  That's no loss.  Price on the website is currently about $135.  It's not clear if it's a website deal or just a short term discount.

They also have a new 25FXII.  It's 2oz. heavier than the plain bearing 25.  Seems to have a 3 port bypass system, just from looking at the case.  Price is about $148.

Nice to see we can still get new engines if needed.  They aren't at Tower though, gotta go intercontinental.
phil Cartier

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: LA 25II
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
 They are claiming they put taper in the liner, which would be a big improvement over the engines I bought with made in China on the case. All 6 of my engines were the worst engines I ever owned and transplanting the piston and liners with the Brian Gardner sets was a complete 180, making them into great engines.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
They are claiming they put taper in the liner, which would be a big improvement over the engines I bought with made in China on the case. All 6 of my engines were the worst engines I ever owned and transplanting the piston and liners with the Brian Gardner sets was a complete 180, making them into great engines.

Yeah Al, I think they wised up.  Some of the chinese engines did run OK.  But a good piston and liner is imperative.  Last summer I rebuilt an LA 25 with worn out pistons and liners.  Found one combination that had a bit of a pinch above the exhaust.  The replacement case was maybe a thousandth too small so the cylinder would not slide in easily.  It had to be pushed pretty hard.  After putting it together it had lots of pop and ran great.

I also noticed that the cylinder head was sized for a short reach plug with one gasket.  A long reach plug ran OK, but it ran better with two gaskets(the gaskets usually are 1/32 in, thick to match the 1/4 x 32 thread on the plugs.
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
For stunt flying I've had fairly good luck with piston fits on the blue ones. My experience is the rest of the engine will out last the ABN system and I do have liners with brass showing. This allows for rebuilds so, if you buy the new version, my advise is buy an extra P/L and wrist pin (pads wear out) and you'll get double the life out of it.

Motorman 8)

Don't worry about the brass showing.  It doesn't affect anything if you have a good piston seal.  My first LA wore out one piston and liner breaking in the shaft.  The next season I bought a new P/L.  It had brass showing in exactly the same spot but broke in just fine and ran at least 2 years more 200 flights.  When that setup went south I looked through my parts box and found a used piston and liner, out of 4 sets, that had a decent amount of pinch.  I put all the parts into a new silver case(the old blue case had a broken intake).  The new case was slightly undersize so it took a moderate amount of pushing to seat the liner.  The fit tightened up a bit when it went into the  case.  After 5-10 breakin flights it is running great.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:11:49 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here