News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raunchy Plans and Question  (Read 1216 times)

ChrisSarnowski

• Trade Count: (0)
Raunchy Plans and Question
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
I ordered a set of plans for the Raunchy combat ship from Barry Baxter. It was designed by James Mears.

Barry and his plans service www.controllineplans.com are great!
I paypal him $$ and tell him what plan I want, and they're in my mailbox a couple of days later.
Couldn't ask for better!

Anyhow here is my question. I have an Enya 29 model 5224 square venturi. Do you think that engine will be good?
It is the plain bearing one not BB. I could always swap it for the Enya 35. But do I really need say a Fox 36x ?

Thanks
Chris

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Raunchy Plans and Question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »
Assuming that you're not going to enter a contest, any 29-to-40 will do just fine.  A modern 25 would be better yet - lighter and generally more powerful than old 35's.  These old planes were small.  You will be happier with the lightest engine you have.

An Enya is a good RC, sport, and stunt engine.  Despite the beefy look, they have a reputation for failure when pushed to do combat duty.  I blew up two out of four that way.

My best recommendation is to bench run the engine/tank/prop/fuel combo before installing it in the plane.  Back in the day, a lot of matches were won by the lone contestant whose rig worked.

I built two Midwest Hornets, didn't like 'em much.  The Wasp was infinitely better.  I might build a new one if some plans surface.   The Equalizer was a modern rendition of the old design.  Very accurate 'cept the plastic covering.  If I build another OT combat, I silk it like the lord intended.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:23:52 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
The Fox .35x, 36x and 36xBB can commonly be found on Ebay at reasonable prices.  Any one of these engines will really make the RAUNCHY sit up and perform, especially when run on bladder or pacifier tank, 10% or higher nitro fuel and a 9/7 Top Flite or Tornado propeller....(I prefered the nylon props).  Still have 5 or 6 of the Fox .36x/.36xBB's lying around the shop, left over from my Combat Competiton flying in the early to mid-1960's.  They worked for me.  Johnson's and Super Tigres also work very well.    y1    D>K

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Back before I got into competition I used to build the combat planes of the day.   The T-Square was my favorite.  Flown with McCoy .35 or K&B .35.   Combat Cats were first to use crankcase pressure.  A few years ago flew a Big Iron with a Johnson CS.   What a rush for an old man.  Wind did not bother us one bit. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
Thanks for the engine feedback, guys. Surprised about the Enya's. Isn't the Enya 29 favored for vintage team race? What breaks in the old 5224's?

I will have to put some sort of Fox on the Raunchy. I have a Magnum 25xl but putting that on a vintage combat ship would be sacrilege. Well, maybe the Enya is skating close to the edge but at least it is vintage.

-Chris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »
It doesn't matter what engine you put on the old combat ships, as long as it's not electric.     And, yes, Barry is one of the best plans providers.   I have built several planes from his plans. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
My first Enya broke a crankshaft en route to fly a Cerveny School.  As paperboys, we rode our bikes to the flying field with the equipment in the big basket and the airplane held in the right hand.  Since we were in that position anyway, it seems logical to run the engine & get some boost out of it.  It had to be pre-1960 or else we would have driven a car to Rouge.

The other siezed a rod (and destroyed ALL the moving parts) on lap 55 of a 100 lap race in 2005.

Of the two that survived, one was worn down over several years os Slow Combat.  Local rules mandated certian plain bearing bafflesd stunt engines.  The other is still run occasionally under light loading.

Paul Smith

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

Well, that paints an interesting picture (riding bike with combat plane with its engine running)!!

I used to ride my bike carrying a fishing pole but that ended when the pole went into the spokes!

-Chris

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
I seemed logical at the time.  We would bark the engine at home to assure that it was worth the trip to the field.   Once running, why shut it down?
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here