News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VooDoo Tip Weight  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
VooDoo Tip Weight
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
I'm rebuilding an old VooDoo (very rough).  I am ready to cover, but noticed that there is no tip weight.  It's been too many years; is any weight required???

Best regards,'

Brew    H^^

Offline Scorpionjack

• Scorpionjack
  • New Pilot
Re: VooDoo Tip Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
Yes add, about 1 oz.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
As long as it's uncovered, think about a simple tip weight box. I did just that on a Voodoo I built a few years ago and pictured  somewhere in an earlier post here. BB shot or small lead fishing  split-shot from Wal-Mart are good for that purpose.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
On a plane like the Voodoo, the side-mounted engine might be enough if the leadouts aren't too heavy.

The answer is to pick up the completed model by the crankshaft and flipper and see which way a tilts. 

You just need enough weight to make it tilt somewhat outboard.   It's easy enough to cut a small hole in the outboard tip covering and insert some solder and epoxy.

Remember, you will also have 3-4 ounces of fuel working your way when you take off.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
The Voodoo kit instructions do not call for tip weight. Ref. para # 6. I never used any and had no problems.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
If you want to use .018” lines an ounce of tip weight might be a good idea. The old left turn from launch can be a real interesting attention grabber.

Brad

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
Brad is probably right.  Plane vs. Pilot or Plane vs. Ground is never a good start to a combat match.
John Paris

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, the Voodoo's inboard wing was 1" longer than the outboard. Although slightly heavier, the additional lift generated by the inboard wing would help compensate for less//no tip weight on the outboard wing, especially at higher AOAs. Just my $.02, do whatever it takes. Attaching a nickel or quarter to the outboard wing near the tip with packaging tape wouldn't hurt for the first few flights.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
A VooDoo will fly just fine with no tip weight. One less thing to break in a combat crash.
AMA 76478

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
Under power, there's a fair chance it will be wings level during level flight without tip weight. Overhead maneuvers will be more pronounced with up/down tip.
For me, it's an aid for level wing landing. The tank is empty, the ship is floaty the last few  feet before touch down and elevator control is less effective. When that happens, you might break a wood prop.
All of my current fleet of  vintage combat ships have  wing tip boxes. On my 120MPH "Scrambler" design, it's quite an effective trim tool.
Just my.02
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:05:31 AM by Frank Imbriaco »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here