News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help A Brutha Out  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
Help A Brutha Out
« on: October 20, 2022, 11:42:37 AM »
Gentleman, I’d like to start a new and rather long and somewhat tedious thread that I would like to title: Help A Brutha Out.

A bit of background. I admit to being an old guy. I started model flying at 5 years old with the dime store Jetco planes and graduated to CL with Cox models in the mid ’60’s.
Then through to 2 years training as an A&P mechanic and starting work in 1979 as an aircraft mechanic.
Started flying CL agin in 1981 with old friends and help start up a new CL club in NoVa. We messed with combat but didn’t get serious until a Texas transplant showed up and got us up to speed enough to do several years on the East Coast completion circuit.
After recently retiring and starting to build again I want to get back in to flying combat but stuff has changed and I have many questions I hope you guys can help me with. Be aware that if your are foolish enough to answer it will lead to 6 more questions ad infinitum. You have been warned.

1) Does Slow Combat as I know it even exist? My old stuff was Fox 36 Mark III’s and IV’s. Running chicken hopper tanks. About 100 MPH W/O a streamer. What I see is some kind of speed limit combat with any engine ups to a 40.

2) Fast combat looks the same. What are the current competitive models and engines and how do I source plans, engines, wing cores, etc?

3) My local small CL club I just joined has nice people but they are sport and stunt oriented. I’m hoping to train a few and maybe spark some interest.

4) This is the most worrisome at the moment for me. I put together a simple Combat Cat for fun with a stock Fox 35. After a few laps I find I’m getting dizzy. Enough to stop the flight. Has any body else had this happen and is there any cure for it?

Well thats in for now I’ll have more to come so Stay Tuned!

Roy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Help A Brutha Out
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 01:44:50 PM »
There is a combat group on face book.   There is also a combat section on this forum further down.  Have to be registered to access it.   As far as getting dizzy it didn't matter what age I was at I would get dizzy on the first couple of flights after not flying for some time.  If you can still do loops, eights and inverted flight it will help to get through the first few flights.  Alternative is to set the profile stunt engine to run just lean enough to get around the circle.   But welcome back. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
There is a combat group on face book.   There is also a combat section on this forum further down.  Have to be registered to access it.   As far as getting dizzy it didn't matter what age I was at I would get dizzy on the first couple of flights after not flying for some time.  If you can still do loops, eights and inverted flight it will help to get through the first few flights.  Alternative is to set the profile stunt engine to run just lean enough to get around the circle.   But welcome back. D>K

John, thanks for the reply. I have joined Stunt Hangar mostly for access to the Combat section. I got my MACA membership back. However their forum appears to be somewhat dead as the last activity dates back to 2021. As far as the dizziness I'm sort of with you in that I think repetition will help, and I'm putting larger diameter flatter pitch props on my sport planes to slow them down a bit. On facebook I joined the MACA page which is active and every CL group I could find. Still have problems finding a source of modern plane kits or planes and wing cores. From the web surfing I've done it looks like most of the cool motors are in Eastern Europe. I only have a Fox 36 MK 5 in my fleet and a bunch of sport engines like Fox 35, Enya 35 etc. So it's a work in progress. Want to build enough planes this winter to have a good wrecking next year. I might just order some pre builts from Europe and then shamelessly copy them.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 05:51:45 PM »
You also might contact the Minor's or Phil Cartier on their PM in the combat section. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 12:08:18 AM »
John, thanks for the reply. I have joined Stunt Hangar mostly for access to the Combat section. I got my MACA membership back. However their forum appears to be somewhat dead as the last activity dates back to 2021. As far as the dizziness I'm sort of with you in that I think repetition will help, and I'm putting larger diameter flatter pitch props on my sport planes to slow them down a bit. On facebook I joined the MACA page which is active and every CL group I could find. Still have problems finding a source of modern plane kits or planes and wing cores. From the web surfing I've done it looks like most of the cool motors are in Eastern Europe. I only have a Fox 36 MK 5 in my fleet and a bunch of sport engines like Fox 35, Enya 35 etc. So it's a work in progress. Want to build enough planes this winter to have a good wrecking next year. I might just order some pre builts from Europe and then shamelessly copy them.
MACA updates are on "Miniature Aircraft Combat Association" Group on facebook. There are sections fo sources, contest dates, videos. results, etc. If you're looking for Nostalgia type kits like VooDoo, Nemesis, Winder, etc.; Stan @ Vintage combat kits has some here:   https://vintageperformancemodelairplanes.com/products/winder-19-35-cl-combat-kit-by-vintage-performance As far as engines go; There are no "made for combat" engines made in the USA anymore. In fact, the only u=control engines made in the USA now are the F2B or Precision aerobatics engines made by Dubb Jett and sold thru Dubb or Richard Oliver. For "speed limit" combat you can use any engine you want up to .40 but 90% of competitors use 25 to 36 R/c engines converted to a fixed venturi and needle and 8"-9" propellers. None of those engines are being made anymore so buying a NOS or used one is the only option. All of the competitive engines for F2D are made in Ukraine as well as the Fora 36 which is competitive in AMA Fast, and the models most people are using these days.
   I would suggest you go to a local contest or flying session to observe and inquire before you go off the deep end buying stuff you may or may not like. Sounds like you're on the East Coast?
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 06:47:48 PM »
MACA updates are on "Miniature Aircraft Combat Association" Group on facebook. There are sections fo sources, contest dates, videos. results, etc. If you're looking for Nostalgia type kits like VooDoo, Nemesis, Winder, etc.; Stan @ Vintage combat kits has some here:   https://vintageperformancemodelairplanes.com/products/winder-19-35-cl-combat-kit-by-vintage-performance As far as engines go; There are no "made for combat" engines made in the USA anymore. In fact, the only u=control engines made in the USA now are the F2B or Precision aerobatics engines made by Dubb Jett and sold thru Dubb or Richard Oliver. For "speed limit" combat you can use any engine you want up to .40 but 90% of competitors use 25 to 36 R/c engines converted to a fixed venturi and needle and 8"-9" propellers. None of those engines are being made anymore so buying a NOS or used one is the only option. All of the competitive engines for F2D are made in Ukraine as well as the Fora 36 which is competitive in AMA Fast, and the models most people are using these days.
   I would suggest you go to a local contest or flying session to observe and inquire before you go off the deep end buying stuff you may or may not like. Sounds like you're on the East Coast?

Yes Northern Va

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 04:43:27 AM »
http://www.flyinglines.org/Combat.html

Perhaps so info and sources from these Pacific North West guys
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 01:04:15 PM »
Join the Party Roy.  Combat is Just FUN, mainly, I think, because the two flyers determine the match.  Judges don't interfere much.

Yes, dizziness can be a problem.  If you get too dizzy, make practice flights shorter. 
2)Do tricks(loops, eights, etc) in one place.  Pay attention so you don't fly into the ground.  The short periods(say 3 figure 8's) will start some dizziness.  Also look up and try a few
    maneurvers straight overhead.
3) Practice controlling  the dizziness--  I've been practicing for about 10 years.  If possible find a small alcove, hallway corner, or between a couple beds about 5-8ft. apart.
    Start out with jumping jacks(they'll make you a bit dizzy).  When you can do straight up J-J's start trying to turn around by twisting 1st just little to 1/4 turn
    Move up todoing JJ'sin both directions, up to 40 or so.
    You'll have to pay attention to your feet and legs so they don't get TWISTED up- that's very bad so don't let it happen.

4) Start flying real combat in practice mode.  If you can get 3-5 people together, rotate who flys who.  Flying just for fun several groups around the country use different variations.  The main issue is a 75mph speed limit-  Flying level, with or without streamer, the plane has to take at least 7.3 sec. for 2 laps(with or without a streamer).  That's a bit less than 75mph.

On my part of th east coast we fly 4 rounds- no eliminations except for breaking the rules on speed and other incractions. Highest total points wins.

Pilots either start their own plane, or they stand by the plane when someone else starts it- for just the initial launch.
100 pts/cut, 3 cuts max.  A bonus of 100 pts for flying a "clean match"-both pilots get the bonus for flying as much as possible, with no midairs, line tangle crashes, or other  mishaps.

Yes, dizziness can be a problem.  If you get too dizzy, make practice flights shorter. 
2)Do tricks(loops, eights, etc) in one place.  Pay attention so you don't fly into the ground.  The short periods(say 3 figure 8's) will start some dizziness.  Also look up and try a few
    maneurvers straight overhead.
3) Practice controlling  the dizziness--  I've been practicing for about 10 years.  If possible find a small alcove, hallway corner, or between a couple beds about 5-8ft. apart.
    Start out with jumping jacks(they'll make you a bit dizzy).  When you can do straight up J-J's start trying to turn around by twisting 1st just little to 1/4 turn
    Move up todoing JJ'sin both directions, up to 40 or so.
    You'll have to pay attention to your feet and legs so they don't get TWISTED up- that's very bad so don't let it happen.

4) Start flying real combat in practice mode.  If you can get 3-5 people together, rotate who flys who.  Flying just for fun several groups around the country use different variations.  The main issue is a 75mph speed limit-  Flying level, with or without streamer, the plane has to take at least 7.3 sec. for 2 laps(with or without a streamer).  That's a bit less than 75mph.

On my part of th east coast we fly 4 rounds- no eliminations except for breaking the rules on speed and other incractions. Highest total points wins.

Pilots either start their own plane, or they stand by the plane when someone else starts it- for just the initial launch.
100 pts/cut, 3 cuts max.  A bonus of 100 pts for flying a "clean match"-both pilots get the bonus for flying as much as possible, with no midairs, line tangle crashes, or other  mishaps.

On my part of the east coast we fly 4 rounds- no eliminations except for breaking the rules on speed and other infractions. Highest total points wins.

Getting One Flip Starts:*******
It's simple, but effective.  I got it from an Ukrainian flyer.  The object is to get a decent amount of fuel into the engine and get it spread where it needs to be.  Most combat engines are mounted with the cylinder mounted in front of the right wing, usually up close to the wing.
1)fill the bladder, no more than needed for the flight.
1) Tilt the nose down and let fuel flow.  It should a steady amount of fuel in a stream turning into drops. For Half A motors, to a short stream less than an inch  turns into individual drops.
Gentleman, I’d like to start a new and rather long and somewhat tedious thread that I would like to title: Help A Brutha Out.

A bit of background. I admit to being an old guy. I started model flying at 5 years old with the dime store Jetco planes and graduated to CL with Cox models in the mid ’60’s.
Then through to 2 years training as an A&P mechanic and starting work in 1979 as an aircraft mechanic.
Started flying CL agin in 1981 with old friends and help start up a new CL club in NoVa. We messed with combat but didn’t get serious until a Texas transplant showed up and got us up to speed enough to do several years on the East Coast completion circuit.
After recently retiring and starting to build again I want to get back in to flying combat but stuff has changed and I have many questions I hope you guys can help me with. Be aware that if your are foolish enough to answer it will lead to 6 more questions ad infinitum. You have been warned.

1) Does Slow Combat as I know it even exist? My old stuff was Fox 36 Mark III’s and IV’s. Running chicken hopper tanks. About 100 MPH W/O a streamer. What I see is some kind of speed limit combat with any engine ups to a 40.

2) Fast combat looks the same. What are the current competitive models and engines and how do I source plans, engines, wing cores, etc?

3) My local small CL club I just joined has nice people but they are sport and stunt oriented. I’m hoping to train a few and maybe spark some interest.

4) This is the most worrisome at the moment for me. I put together a simple Combat Cat for fun with a stock Fox 35. After a few laps I find I’m getting dizzy. Enough to stop the flight. Has any body else had this happen and is there any cure for it?

Roy

Roy

2) F2D engines requires more, a stream 1-2 inches and heavier drops.
3)  Speed Limit(SLow Combat) engines will need a solid, fatter stream from1-2 inches before it turns into drops.
4)  Fast Combat- Let 'er rip.  A heavy stream that flows 2-3 inches before breaking into big fat drops, turning into a slobbering stream.

The End of the Beginning.
Other critical ideas--
1)Pay a LOT of ATTENTION how the planes look and fly.  Ideally its either a nice, straight foamy, or a jig-built stick plane.  Most F2D planes are being in made parts of Eastern Europe.  The biggest supplier was in Ukraine.  There are so many F2D wings floating around eastern PA that people give them away.
Check for warps looking from behind the stab.  Line it up with the trailing edge.  Raise and lower the engine.  The top or bottom(your preference) should disappear evenly across the whole wing. For multiple planes you probably have some sort of jig.  Use that to make sure the plane settles in evenly on all the supports.
2) Fly It.  I usually put the plane downwind and pull some loops both ways.  Look closely for the right wing to be dragging down(right roll), or the right wing showing the top(left roll)
The plane MUST fly solidly level or it will give you weird happenings when you least expect.  Nothing worse than a fast F2D snap rolling down the lines.!!

Getting Dizzy-  It's all about reflexes, age, practice, and lack of any "disease".
Drink water when out, especially a lot in the heat.  Sometimes lightly sugary sports drinks can get faster absorption of the water, and usually some caffeine or other stimulant.

That's all for now.

Sorry for all the messiness in the text and other garbage.

Phil Cartier

Phil Cartier
717-566-3810
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:26:54 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »
Update! Dizziness is going away the more I fly. I had the pleasure of a visit to an old friend who I grew up with and we both learned to fly CL together. This friend had an older brother who I flew in combat contests back in the ‘80’s. I ended up with a huge amount of CL kits and stuff he had accumulated which included Cartier Gotcha 400 and 500 cores and a bunch of 1/2A cores so it would be easy to put together a batch of planes this winter. One thing I’m having a hard time finding is low temp clear iron on film for covering the foam wings. I used to have a huge roll but that somehow disappeared. Can’t seem to find that online. The other is getting a small batch of motors. I have lots of props. Lots of balsa and other wood. I still have about 200 1/8” x 3/8” spars I cut back then. So all in all things are looking up. I do have the Sisyphean task of converting some of my stunt club homies to flying combat.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
Call Phil Cartier he has a boat load of covering. He calls it SLC (super lightweight covering) and got a large shipment last year. Low temp clear covering. there are multiple uses about this stuff other than just combat wings. look in the finishing section for other uses.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Michael Alurac

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 63056 kotrc.org2013-2014 & 2020 President
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 09:12:05 PM »
Early into getting back into control line and CL combat flying, to fight dizziness I simply turned in circles with my control hand and arm extended turning in tight circles until I became dizzy. That is the cure for me. Or was the cure as I should say that I haven't been dizzy in years.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »
Early into getting back into control line and CL combat flying, to fight dizziness I simply turned in circles with my control hand and arm extended turning in tight circles until I became dizzy. That is the cure for me. Or was the cure as I should say that I haven't been dizzy in years, until I got sick recently.  No more fast combat for me.

About the only "cure" for dizziness- see the Jumping Jacks referred to earlier.  Like any training it takes repetition- no matter what you try.

A piece of "lore" that shows up a number of places is from full scale fighter pilots.  Flying 100+ life-or-death struggles, often with a "team" of pilots, produced and amazing number of both very skilled pilots and, unfortunately, too many trainess lost before they went to battle, or went too soon. I've see several articles from top fighter pilots.  They all say that it's common for pilots to get dizzy in maneuvering. No real cure, just practice.

Chuck Yeager was one of these due to his incredible, built in physical skills.  He was one whose vision nearly topped on board radar.

https://worldwarwings.com/top-5-greatest-fighter-pilots-world-war-ii/

Phil Cartier
(I can't monitor this stuff regularly, so call if you have questions or suggestions, please)
philcartier@earthlink.net  or here.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:19:35 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here